SASS Wire Forum

Favorite dog breeds (based on first hand experience)

Chantry

My #1 is the Dutch Shepherd. They are absolutely amazing and I wouldn't hesitate to adopt another. (When I'm ready, not now.)

Have owned, rescued and generally put up with a dozen or so breeds. But my favorite and current best friend is the German Shepard. Blessed to have two at one time, the older black taught the younger blonde every thing she could before leaving us. 

The pair when we had both:

2B5288FB-15A2-4477-A70F-E96647DADE30.jpeg

3FA8E7A0-1302-443A-9643-150D20389C63.jpeg

Did I say daschunds? Yes I did.  :D

20210318_092701.jpg

1 hour ago, Derringer Dan said:

Have owned, rescued and generally put up with a dozen or so breeds. But my favorite and current best friend is the German Shepard. Blessed to have two at one time, the older black taught the younger blonde every thing she could before leaving us. 

The pair when we had both:

2B5288FB-15A2-4477-A70F-E96647DADE30.jpeg

3FA8E7A0-1302-443A-9643-150D20389C63.jpeg

We've had more GSDs than any other breed. All of them were rescues or rehomes. They are one of the best friends you can have.

My Dutch Shepherd was my girl and there isn't a minute of a day that goes by that I don't miss her. 

Your comment about your older dog teaching the younger brought a smile to my mind.

We often said that The Roo had her own trained German Shepherd.

She taught our Kayda as a puppy quite a few things (still ain't figured out if that's good). 

My late uncle had a pedigreed female beagle.  An absolute sweet dog around my little cousins and a fantastic rabbit dog.  Part of my remembraces of my uncle are of hunting with him behind his beagle.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

We've had more GSDs than any other breed. All of them were rescues or rehomes. They are one of the best friends you can have.

My Dutch Shepherd was my girl and there isn't a minute of a day that goes by that I don't miss her. 

Your comment about your older dog teaching the younger brought a smile to my mind.

We often said that The Roo had her own trained German Shepherd.

She taught our Kayda as a puppy quite a few things (still ain't figured out if that's good). 

Now that brought a big’ol smile to my face. Shepherd looks young- 7 to 9 months? Mine were the same with water, couldn’t ever quite figure it out, bit had fun with it nonetheless. Great video!

17 minutes ago, Derringer Dan said:

Now that brought a big’ol smile to my face. Shepherd looks young- 7 to 9 months? Mine were the same with water, couldn’t ever quite figure it out, bit had fun with it nonetheless. Great video!

Yeah, I think Kayda was about 6 or 7 months or so, there. She's 5 years old now and something around 115 lbs. (Yeah, I know, it's mostly my fault.) We knew she was going to be a big girl when we got her, her paws were/are huge. 

It's hard to pick.  They all have their positives and negatives.  That's why it's important to have a mixed pack.  Gotta have a yappy dog to warn of intruders.  Gotta have a big dog so the intruders care about the barking.  Gotta have a terrier to teach the rest of them to poop in one corner of the yard. 

My order from the dogs I've had would be

1.  German Shepard.  High loyalty and the drive is to please you. 

2.  Lab.  High food drive.  Easiest dog to train I've ever seen. 

3.  Basenji.  High Prey drive.  Hard headed.  I'm thinking of getting another but I don't know if I got it in me to train another one.  After mine was about 12 years old I read a tip that made the entire dog make sense.  They said you don't train basenjis, you just have to convince them that they happen to want to do the thing you want them to do. 

My favorite breed is the one I have, a Dorkie. A doxie/yorkie mix. 

Rhodesian Ridgeback's - I've had three - loyal, great with kids,  know when to shut up and just flat great looking. 

IMG_5272.JPG

ridgeback.jpg

8 hours ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

Rhodesian Ridgeback's

We watched a ridgeback for my cousin for a couple of weeks.  That was a high energy nervous dog.  Couldn't stop it from going after the cat and she was mean to our other dogs.  It acted like a terrier but it was a medium-large sized dog.  Some of that is obviously from being in a new home and maybe my cousin lets her get away with stuff.  But her energy was way different than what we're used to.  Based on that experience we don't think we can handle one.  Maybe if we got a chance at a puppy we could.  But with a dog like a lab you can get them as an adult and they'll be fine.  German shepherds are kind of a crap shoot when you get them as an adult.  There's a chance they won't want to bond with another human. 

My favorite was our 2 Miniature Pinchers. Very loyal, high energy with a Doberman attitude.

Close second was our Old English Sheepdog which we showed. Very smart and trained easy. She won her Companion Dog  certification in 3 straight shows.

Last 4 dogs were herding dogs.  Australian Shepherds and Australian Blue Heelers.  I won’t ever have anything else but all good dogs are blessings from God, no matter the breed. Constant true companions.  Lock your dog and your spouse in your car trunk,  drive around for about 50 miles, open trunk.  Who is glad to see you?  (that’s a joke, before I get flamed)

Right now we have 2 Australian Blue Heelers-Ezekiel Proctor (13 yrs) and Sally Two Trees (4 yrs).  We are blessed.  Oh, the tales I can tell.

ML

We had a Pitbull that was a wonderful dog. Also Doberman Pincers. We have two now and had another one previously

50 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

We watched a ridgeback for my cousin for a couple of weeks.  That was a high energy nervous dog.  Couldn't stop it from going after the cat and she was mean to our other dogs.  It acted like a terrier but it was a medium-large sized dog.  Some of that is obviously from being in a new home and maybe my cousin lets her get away with stuff.  But her energy was way different than what we're used to.  Based on that experience we don't think we can handle one.  Maybe if we got a chance at a puppy we could.  But with a dog like a lab you can get them as an adult and they'll be fine.  German shepherds are kind of a crap shoot when you get them as an adult.  There's a chance they won't want to bond with another human. 

There are any number of breeds, that if improperly socialized as a puppy or does not have a owner who is firm with them when they misbehave, will not do well with other animals and even people.   

Jack Russell Terrorists, Dobermans, Rottweilers, the various "pitbull" breeds and most of the terriers I've encountered are just some of the breeds that can be difficult.

16 minutes ago, Chantry said:

There are any number of breeds, that if improperly socialized as a puppy or does not have a owner who is firm with them when they misbehave, will not do well with other animals and even people.   

Jack Russell Terrorists, Dobermans, Rottweilers, the various "pitbull" breeds and most of the terriers I've encountered are just some of the breeds that can be difficult.

You can add my MIL's "Yorkshire Terror" to the list!:angry:

2 hours ago, Chantry said:

When we adopted out Belgian/German mix, the foster mother came to us and lamented she "tried to reason with him, but he just wouldn't listen."  Uno looked at her and said "Lady, he's a dog" at which point she turned on her heels and walked away.

A couple of weeks later, I removed a chicken from the oven and set it on the stove to cool while I set the table.  The dog walked into the kitchen smelling the chicken and hopped up on his back legs to get a sniff.  He latched onto a drumstick and pulled the chicken to the floor.  Uno heard me yell at the dog and came running in, just as he was about to take a bite.  He grabbed the dog by the collar, rolled him on his back, got right in his face and growled at him.  The look on his face said it all.  He now knew who alpha was and he would not cross that line again.  After that, he was the best dog ever.  Man I miss that guy.

42 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

When we adopted out Belgian/German mix, the foster mother came to us and lamented she "tried to reason with him, but he just wouldn't listen."  Uno looked at her and said "Lady, he's a dog" at which point she turned on her heels and walked away.

A couple of weeks later, I removed a chicken from the oven and set it on the stove to cool while I set the table.  The dog walked into the kitchen smelling the chicken and hopped up on his back legs to get a sniff.  He latched onto a drumstick and pulled the chicken to the floor.  Uno heard me yell at the dog and came running in, just as he was about to take a bite.  He grabbed the dog by the collar, rolled him on his back, got right in his face and growled at him.  The look on his face said it all.  He now knew who alpha was and he would not cross that line again.  After that, he was the best dog ever.  Man I miss that guy.

Outstanding.  In this Wu-flu obsessed society, I wonder if a dog owner support group wouldn’t do me some good?  At least I’d be amongst people who (probably) wouldn’t think I was completely crazy.  Think of the stories to be shared......

ML

I've had 3 mutts that were great but my favorite was my collie Shannon.:wub:

5 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Interesting.  Not known to be a really high energy dog.     Happy to go on walks but just as happy to be laying by the fire.  https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/rhodesian-ridgeback/

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/dog-breeds/10-facts-about-the-rhodesian-ridgeback/

https://www.petfinder.com/dog-breeds/rhodesian-ridgeback/

I've been thinking of friend's dogs that I :wub: . One was a Ridgeback named Diamond. She belonged to Latin Gun (So, CA SASS shooter) and was a sweet girl, who loved everyone. However she loved her Daddy the most.

The other was a female Doberman. I remember her resting her head in my lap. 

On 5/5/2021 at 3:23 PM, Ramblin Gambler said:

What's the dog in the back?  The rough behind the shoulders makes it look like a hyena or a dingo. 

We're not sure yet!  We just got her a few weeks ago, and her DNA test is pending.

My favorite is Border Terrier.  A lot of the personality traits of Jack Russell with just slightly less energy.  This is Wrigley.  We lost him about 9 months ago.

IMG_1889.JPG

IMG_2268.jpg

I took Tigger to the vet.

Vet asst "What breed is he?"

Me          "Endibee, a royal African hunting dog"

Vet chuckles He put down on the form NDB for No Destinguishable Breed

Imis

As a bird hunter, I prefer the Britanny.  Good hunters, good house dogs, but shed hair and lots of fur balls.

For just a fun house dog, Yorkies.   Every one we've had have been small, smart, challenging, strong willed, lovable companions.

Based on the numbers:

Mini Dachshunds

Golden Retrievers

German Shepards

Doxidoors

South Korean mutt

If I had to choose the Best of the Best it's Goldens.  Very smart & want to please their people.  I have had 2 the 1st was a very large alpha male & the last a large beta male.  Goldens are so smart that they manipulate human behavior.  Both of them would deliberately place their ball under furniture where they couldn't reach & get your attention to get you to retrieve it.  One minute latter the ball in back where they can't get it.

P.S.  If I had my way I's have a Golden now.  However, the misses said NO!  She had to vacuum every day & groom every day.  She loved our Chief a lot and feels that she would be disappointed in another Golden.  Chiefs canine companion was a Doxidoor named Moose.  Moose is the product of the union of my daughter's Chocolate Lab & son in law's Mini Dachshund.  Last year we got a mixed breed dog rescued from a S. Korean meat farm.  My eldest grandson & his wife adopted him & 2 other dogs while he was stationed there.   The Army would only allow them to ship 2 to his next duty station; so, his mother agreed to import him if we would adopt him.

Archived