SASS Wire Forum

Biakal SXS Shotguns

Bison Bud

I take it from my internet searches that imports of Biakal shotguns from Russia are still banned.  However, I have a spare 12 gauge, double trigger, 26", SXS that has only been taken out of the box for storage in my gun safe.  It was originally imported by EAA and has never been fired or modified in any way, so it would need some work to be a good CAS shotgun (they are very stiff out of the box and need some modification to stay fully open).  Frankly, I bought it as a back up to my current back up cowboy shot gun, but have never needed it or modified it in any way and I am now wondering if there might be any interest in it out there in cowboy land and what might be a realistic price.  My internet searches have shown some astronomical prices posted for original "Bounty Hunter" coach gun models at well over $1000.00 in new condition, but that doesn't mean they are selling for those prices.  This is basically the same gun with 26" barrels, which I cut down for my main match and back up guns and they have proved to be a fine CAS shotguns.  I've literally shot the crap out of my main match gun without issues and it's still going strong even though I'm not.  Therefore, any comments on the status of Biakal shotguns and their current interest in CAS would be appreciated here and thanks in advance for your input.  Good luck and good shooting to all.   

As much as I would like to make a low-ball offer I think you should post it for sale in the proper sale section at a higher price you would be happy with and lower it as necessary. It's hard for folks to get any guns now and sale prices show it. Good luck.

The Baikal is the workhorse of SxS for CAS. I have one that I bought from Johnny Meadows a few years ago. They seem to be a tank. However, if I'm going to spend $1k on a shotgun, it's going to be a CZ single-trigger SxS.

I don't think the Bakail shotguns will ever be a collector's item.  It's comparable to the Stoeger shotguns in quality and price.  The current asking price for firearms currently is bordering on crazy.  If you want to sell it, now is a good time.

I bought one just like yours when I first started out for $199.00 at a gun show.  Good utilitarian shotgun.

1 hour ago, Mister Badly said:

As much as I would like to make a low-ball offer I think you should post it for sale in the proper sale section at a higher price you would be happy with and lower it as necessary. It's hard for folks to get any guns now and sale prices show it. Good luck.

I think what your saying makes a lot of sense and I also think that over $1000.00 is absurd.  However, I do consider these guns to be a step up from a Stoeger in durability and reliability and that it's probably worth around $500.00.  Frankly, I'm not going to sell it for much less, but wondering if there is any real interest.  By the way, does anyone know if the custom cocking levers are still available for these guns?  I bought a couple pair from a pard on the Wire years ago and they make a huge difference in these guns, but I can't remember his name.

Bakails are a step up from Stoeger for sure, and built like tanks. I had 2 Johnny Meadows. Sold one for 600 (as I recall) kept the other one. My main match shotgun is now an SKB 200. Paid 1200 for it. I dont see the Bakail in that range, but $5-700 for a “virgin” one sounds about right to me. 

1 hour ago, Bison Bud said:

I think what your saying makes a lot of sense and I also think that over $1000.00 is absurd.  However, I do consider these guns to be a step up from a Stoeger in durability and reliability and that it's probably worth around $500.00.  Frankly, I'm not going to sell it for much less, but wondering if there is any real interest.  By the way, does anyone know if the custom cocking levers are still available for these guns?  I bought a couple pair from a pard on the Wire years ago and they make a huge difference in these guns, but I can't remember his name.

Papa Dave's cocking levers. Don't know if he still makes them.

You gotta do what you think is right, but I’m agreeing with Phantom on this one. $700 seems a fair number, it’s easier to lower the price then raise it. 

I have four, but prefer the Stoegers for my main match shotguns.  The Bakails have very thin barrel walls in my opinion.

The Bakails cocking levers are not true hammers.  They set internal hammers as these external hammers do not actually strike the firing pins.

1 hour ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

I have four, but prefer the Stoegers for my main match shotguns.  The Bakails have very thin barrel walls in my opinion.

The Bakails cocking levers are not true hammers.  They set internal hammers as these external hammers do not actually strike the firing pins.

They are talking about hammerless Baikals and the barrels are thick enough that I can put choke tubes in them.

I feel that they are the most reliable shotgun being used in Cowboy action.

johnny Meadows

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

And fer gawd's sake, it's BAIKAL.

And it's God's sake :)

18 hours ago, Chase Randall, SASS #45902 said:

Papa Dave's cocking levers. Don't know if he still makes them.

Yep, that's the guy, thanks for the information!

9 minutes ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

They don’t teach geography in school any more!

Apparently...but a lot of these guys are OOOOOOLLLLLLLDDDDDDD...

PS: For those that don't get it, look up Lake Baikal.

The Baikal is a very strong gun.  It does come in three version, just for clarity.

One appeared to have external hammers but they were merely cocking levers for internal hammers - so not for Frontier categories.

Another did have external hammers.

The most common had internal hammers and was a pretty good SASS gun once tuned.

Sadly since they are no longer imported, parts can be a problem.  But since built like a tank, they don't need parts very often, especially if well tuned.

Lake Baikal - deepest lake in the world as I remember.

2 hours ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Lake Baikal - deepest lake in the world as I remember.

Yep - freshwater lake with a population of seals oddly enough.

12 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Naw...my God doesn't care about spelling errors.

;)

Neither do the Russians  So it's Байкал not Bakial :)

Baikals are built like tanks got mine in 1994 at an El Paso gun show for $300 or maybe $339 hard to remember.  Stiff as all get out and has nasty habit of barrels not staying fully open unless the locking lever is pushed and held in the open position.  Cussed it for years, let Lassiter work his magic.  Now is super sweet shells fly out even with my terrible shucking technique and the barrels stay open perfectly certainly would not sell it for what I have in it.  It is now a great gun.

Archived