SASS Wire Forum

Pokey v. Slashy-Pokey

Subdeacon Joe

Thoughts:

Either them boys was awful short, or rapiers were longer than I've expected they were. I thought they had a blade about three feet, but that looks closer to four.

Since the guy with the rapier was a switch hitter, when the katana chopped his right arm off he should have just picked up the sword and continued with his left. Ain't he never seen Holy Grail?

It appeared to me that the Katana swordsman would have been punctured in the middle right abdomen as he struck the right forearm of the Rapier swordsman. 

Sheesh....

O find it amusing that a European and Japanese art being performed by Koreans hasn't caused the universe to collapse from cultural appropriation. 

Each one patient, each one powerful, each one deadly ...
Thank you for this!

11 hours ago, Alpo said:

Thoughts:

Either them boys was awful short, or rapiers were longer than I've expected they were. I thought they had a blade about three feet, but that looks closer to four.

Since the guy with the rapier was a switch hitter, when the katana chopped his right arm off he should have just picked up the sword and continued with his left. Ain't he never seen Holy Grail?

Well yeah, they ain't basketball players. ;)

The average Rapier blade length is 41". We're used to seeing Epees and Foils in modern fencing. They are several inches shorter.

Here's an interesting (to me anyway) comparison of fencing and dueling swords. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wYgWrGHIVg

The 1977 film The Duellists, starring Keith Carradine and Harvey Keitel, is a great film if you like Napoleanic sword[play.

19 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The 1977 film The Duellists, starring Keith Carradine and Harvey Keitel, is a great film if you like Napoleanic sword[play.

Like this?

Archived