SASS Wire Forum

Big brown eyes are dangerous

evil dogooder

So my daughter is too petite for even the youth stock on her henry.  She really wants to shoot like mom and dad.    So tonight's project was cutting down the stock.  

She picked it up and was able to run off 10 no problem.   Before I had to cycle the action for her after every shot.  Great... but she said ouch as she was poked in the cheek.    Hmmm project number two..   grabbed a deer hide I kept from my first deer and made a butt cover.  I am no leather crafter but it will work for now.   While I was at it I quickly made  a small ammo pouch for her.

20210430_205727.jpg

20210430_204217.jpg

20210430_204210.jpg

Looks very much like the shortened Henry .22 I did for my kids. Keep the cut off piece, later you can install dowels and extend it again, or do like I do and use it at our local clubs yearly Youth Shoot. It really helps the smaller kids shoot with a proper size rifle. Hopefully I will teach my grand kids to shoot with it also.

5 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Keep the cut off piece, later you can install dowels and extend it again,

Great idea.

Tip - drill two holes in it for future dowels before you cut it down.  ;):)

13 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

Great idea.

Tip - drill two holes in it for future dowels before you cut it down.  ;):)

and if already cut off drill two holes in cut off part.  Attached it to rest of stock with duct tape and whatever strips of wood you need to keep alignment perfect (though it won't be prefect cause you'll be missing the wood that was in the saw kerf)  and use the new holes as guides to drill the holes in the other part of the stock

I always figure there will be stock refinishing after this attachment 

my Gf granddaughter sometime shoots steel challenge with us 

I am pretty much used to her beating  me with my own ruger 10-22

good eyes and not shaking really seem to help 

Nice work Dad!

Archived