SASS Wire Forum

Fiocchi Shotgun Ammunition Shells for CAS?

Kansas City Munny

With the shortage of available shotgun shells here in the Golden State and I'm sure across this great land, I'm wondering what other loads have been tried with good results for our game. I've been shooting the old stand by Winchester AA and Remington STS Light Target Loads, but came upon some inventory of Fiocchi Field Dynamics Dove and Quail. Specs have me confident they would work fine - low brass base, 1-1/8 oz. lead #7.5 shot, 1250 fps.

Thoughts?

Hi KCM,

Hate to disappoint, but thems ain't "light loads."  Although if your shooting Winchester and STS "Light Target" you may well not notice difference.  For CAS type 12Ga, when I shot that heathen fad smokeless stuff, my preference was AA Lo Noise Lo Recoil or the Remington equivalent.  The Fiocchi equivalent would be Fiocchi "Trainer."  Especially applicable in 20Ga.

YMMV

Fiocchi work a treat by the way.

Oh, they will work, but are not light loads like the Win Featherlites and the Rem STS light target one ounce loads.   Will be less attractive to reload, since they need a shot wad made for a European straight wall hull. 

The height of the metal on the base makes NO difference anymore to power of shotshells.

They will go bang and they will knock down almost ANY cowboy KD target.  If you have a side-by-side that is reluctant to shuck shells easily, these may be more difficult to shuck than the Rem or Win target hulls.

good luck, GJ

6 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Hi KCM,

Hate to disappoint, but thems ain't "light loads."  Although if your shooting Winchester and STS "Light Target" you may well not notice difference.  For CAS type 12Ga, when I shot that heathen fad smokeless stuff, my preference was AA Lo Noise Lo Recoil or the Remington equivalent.  The Fiocchi equivalent would be Fiocchi "Trainer."  Especially applicable in 20Ga.

YMMV

Fiocchi work a treat by the way.

Thank you for the feedback CC. I'm running either a Stoeger or TOZ 66 coach gun, so a little more recoil than the AA or STS probably won't be an issue. I guess I'm stuck shooting what I can find at this point.

7 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Oh, they will work, but are not light loads like the Win Featherlites and the Rem STS light target one ounce loads.   Will be less attractive to reload, since they need a shot wad made for a European straight wall hull. 

The height of the metal on the base makes NO difference anymore to power of shotshells.

They will go bang and they will knock down almost ANY cowboy KD target.  If you have a side-by-side that is reluctant to shuck shells easily, these may be more difficult to shuck than the Rem or Win target hulls.

good luck, GJ

Thank you Garrison Joe. Both coach guns shuck really well, so I'm hoping these will work OK. I bought one box to test under match conditions at my next monthly match. We shall see.

I have used hunting loads and didn't like it. The problem for me is making my teeth hurt and raising a welt on my finger from the trigger guard slamming it. By stage four I was really feeling it.

One solution to your problem is to start reloading.  Even though some components are hard to find, if you reload this will give you another avenue of possible supply.  It also lets you load a softer shooting shell.  I load my 12 ga. with 7/8 of shot and the lightest powder load I was able to find on the charts.  My advice is free and worth every penny.

With things as they are, I was satisfied to find a case of NSI low recoil 1oz #8 @1200fps; which are 1/8oz and 100fps more than I desire for factory loads; so until the "great holy black & primer drought" ends, I can still make bang-bang.

Archived