SASS Wire Forum

Looking for the Hunt of a Lifetime?

If I was Closer and allowed ,,, I would use my .375 Ruger with Barnes 300 gr. X bullets ...

If I could use lead I would use my Highwall in .40-65 with 410 gr. Cast bullets ...

Jabez Cowboy

I have never hunted buffalo, but I read a story back in the day where a hunter was disappointed in his hunt. He likened it to shooting a cow. You buff hunters don't lower my ears -- I'd like to hear your experiences.

for that kind of hunt I'd use my tikka with nightforce scope... I love hunting with my old lead guns and I do trust myself to hit vitals out to 100 yards max, but under the watchful eye of the NPS I'd want to shoot perfect marks... ethics here are priority, not nostalgia.

Im going to apply, I fit the criteria and would feel rooted in the old tradition. Fingers crossed, the lottery is a crapshoot! :lol:

17 minutes ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:
  1. Last I heard, several years ago. The bison are corraled and they pick which one you can shoot. Not hunting in my book.

I know some of them are like that. But if you have to be there for several days and be able to do strenuous hikes this one may be different.

As I read the FAQs, no motorized vehicles and no pack animals. That means wherever the hell it is when you shoot it, you going to pack it out on your back.

13 hours ago, Alpo said:

As I read the FAQs, no motorized vehicles and no pack animals. That means wherever the hell it is when you shoot it, you going to pack it out on your back.

Yea when I filled out the application it had me sign an affadavit that said I would be responsible for field dressing and hauling out the carcass with the other volunteers. 12 volunteers selected, 4 weekends, that means 3 volunteers per outing... 

Im hoping they mean quartered, I cant imagine 3 people hauling a full on bison carcass in one piece.

Guess I better ramp up my gym routine

If interested, here's the list of "approved" factory loaded ammunition and bullets for handloads:

https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/nature/upload/Approved-Ammunition-and-Bullets-for-GRCA-v1-3.pdf

1 hour ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

“All cartridges must be bottle-necked; no straight-walled cartridges are accepted.”

Pretty much eliminates the historic cartridges.

Well, if the government knows anything about one thing it’s “bottlenecks”. :wacko:

And, be thinking of all the protestors that will be trying to ruin the hunt. They are already complaining that the local Native Americans should be allowed to kill the bison. And if I remember, this herd is not pure bison. I read they were part of a beef-alo experiment in the early part of the 20th century. Basically you going to have a biologist at your shoulder telling you which one you can shoot. And I saw somewhere that you only keep part of the meat. No thanks.

I am sorry that I read this topic now.

The entire concept of this nonsense sounds disgusting; literally disgusting   ii would be embarrassed to participate in such a foolish endeavor.  And, if I did somehow get roped into participating, I would be embarrassed to admit it.  I think a more sporting arrangement would be to round up all the government people involved in overseeing this hunt, outfit them in camo and send them 500 or 600 yards out on the open range and try to drop them with black powder ammo, fired from antique firearms.   

Considering (my imagined) the cost to participate in this goofy “hunt,” five or six guys could get together and go on a real remote deer hunt, bringing along a couple or three of hired help to guide, arvise do food prep, cooking, chores, etc. at a very remote location and live off whatever they kill.

Cat Brules

Ever read, or see the movie, BLESS THE BEASTS AND THE CHILDREN? That's how it started. They had the buffalo rounded up and they were in a corral, and the mighty hunters were shooting them from about 50 feet away.

You could hunt buffalo on private ranches with a lot less hassle and no they aren’t penned. My son and I traveled to Wyoming every fall for many years to hunt buffalo near Wheatland. You get to keep everything and they’ll gut it, haul it out and load it on your truck or trailer for the trip to the processor. Sure they tell you which one you can shoot because they charge more for bulls, a lot more. Bet there aren’t a lot of you pards that can tell the difference between a young heifer and a young bull at 200 yards or so. If you wound one and can’t recover it, oh well, you still have to pay. I don’t envy anyone that has to butcher and then pack out a buffalo, I’ve done a couple of elk and that was a lot of work.

C5A43686-D069-4F61-A079-E18FEC1986BC.jpeg

Archived