SASS Wire Forum

This could ruin your day

Alpo

Man is shooting a 50 BMG rifle, and they decided afterwards that he loaded around that was producing in the 80,000 PSI range, and his gun blew up.

Ouch. I'm glad he's alright.  I take quick clot, a swat-T and gauze when I go to the range, how about ya'll? I picked the swat-t because it can be used on kids and can also be used for conventional compression dressings.

Wow. Just wow.

Yup. Double check your first aid kit and know how to use what's in it and wear those safety glasses!

Scarey.

What kind of gun is that? A screw breech single shot? I have never seen one of these. He is a lucky guy. 

Honestly, if someone offered to let me shoot their 50 cal and they showed me that configuration of a gun I am pretty sure my response would be “No thanks, you go ahead.”

6 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

What kind of gun is that? A screw breech single shot? I have never seen one of these. He is a lucky guy. 

Honestly, if someone offered to let me shoot their 50 cal and they showed me that configuration of a gun I am pretty sure my response would be “No thanks, you go ahead.”

https://serbu.com/rn-50/

As a recent serious accident survivor myself, I understand the importance of urgent, quality EMS care, LifeFlight services, and the caring, dedicated, and knowledgeable staff of the Firefighters Burn Ward at UC Davis in Sacramento. God has His eyes on us all and will be the One who makes that final decision. I too did some serious Praying to God to have mercy on me and to allow me to get through my dilemma. Things could have been quite a bit different for me. God bless ya Scott (even though you prolly won’t ever read this) and I hope that both of us make a complete and speedy recovery. I too know what the road to recovery is like. :FlagAm: We got to get back on that horse!!

And don’t forget your kit when shooting in the field!!! Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Although I don't own, nor shoot, a 50 cal like that, I have seen the screw breech models.

I don't know Scott, but I watch A LOT of his 'Kentucky Ballistics' videos, especially his pistol

videos.   He does a lot of testing with bullet penetrations, etc..... and a lot of good videos

with bullet effectiveness in ballistics gel.

I'm glad he's alright.  And I look forward to more of his videos.

SCOTT:  If you are reading this wire, God bless ya and hope you get well soon.

..........Widder

I recall booby-trapped rounds being left in areas where the Viet Cong could steal them.

I wonder if that was a booby-trapped round that was somehow brought home from where ever?

4 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Keep in mind that the  16"/50 caliber Mark 7 gun has a threaded breach.  

An interrupted screw or interrupted thread is a mechanical device typically used in the breech of artillery guns. It is believed to have been invented in 1845.

53 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

An interrupted screw or interrupted thread is a mechanical device typically used in the breech of artillery guns. It is believed to have been invented in 1845.

See?  Threaded breaches are a tried and true technology.  Heck, for guns they even cut half of the threads away!  

Come to think of it, the Hotchkiss had a threaded breach.

He was lucky that his father was there to get him to the truck and drive him to meet the ambulance. Moral of the story-don’t shoot other peoples reloads. Especially a round with the power of those things. 

4 hours ago, Baltimore Ed said:

He was lucky that his father was there to get him to the truck and drive him to meet the ambulance. Moral of the story-don’t shoot other peoples reloads. Especially a round with the power of those things. 

He said that he was under the impression that it was a factory load.

On 4/29/2021 at 10:16 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That looks like a gun that you clamp in a vise & tie a 50 ft. lanyard too.  Would be better if the breach dia. was greater & had acme threads.

Really bad ju-ju to fire off a round like that (or the others that did not blow up....or even use that cheesy rifle, and with absolutely NO personal knowledge as to where they came from.  Factory rounds?  Nonsense!  He had to know they were not “factory” rounds, but someone’s reloads.

I am glad that everything ultimately turned out well for him, but I still think he is a maroon.  Most people learn from experience, knowledge, common sense, earlier mistakes, and just plain screw-ups like this one.  I hope he is one of them.  That weapon he is shooting those unknown .50’s from is obviously a cheap toy, regardless of what he or someone else paid for it.  I’ll bet you a dollar it wasn’t his gun, ‘cuz “He da man!.”....“Da expert”.  Yeah, right.  And, he likely didn’t know much, if anything, about the gun.  Why would he even consider firing such a “gun”(?).....because he didn’t consider anything.  That thinking should’ve come flooding from one part of his brain and into his consciousness, that’s why.  He is obviously MORE than lucky he’s still breathing air.

This is a warning to all of us to take everything we see and hear here as “advice,” not fact and, with a large grain of salt.  Think about these things every time.

Cat Brules

Lately I've been seeing ammo at auction sites that look a heck of a lot like reloads.  Close enough that I wouldn't touch them at any rate.  The bad thing is that people are still bidding it up like it's no big deal.  Stuff like that should be selling to reloaders who want to reuse the components. 

Archived