SASS Wire Forum

Winchester Short Rifle

David Cardin

yes several do shoot them they are a little slicker out of the box but i don't think anyone makes a short stroke kit for them ?? a uberti  has a lot of choices on kits and springs , also not sure  about now but a while back it was hard to find any springs for a winchester

I bought one when they first came out. The stroke on them is shorter than a stock Uberti, and about the same as my Cody 73 and 66. The only thing that I did was to bend the lever safety spring up a little as it was taking excessive pressure to fire the gun. I tested all manners of lengths and bullet shapes and it digested them all, both 38 sp and 357's. I was impressed with quality overall. I especially liked that it was a round barrel rifle, not a carbine.

I have had my Winchester Miroku 1873 for 5 years. No problems at all until today. For me the best CAS rifle "out of the box". The quality and workmanship is a class better than that of the Uberti.

We recently got one as a back up rifle in .38/.357. It was smooth out of the box. I tried it with 105 and 147gr bullets fed both nicely. I had some issues with the screws as they were so tight had to take it to a gunsmith to get them loose. I just ordered a new firing pin extension to replace the stock one. Hope it fits properly since while ordering the new one I had the stock one in my hand and while playing with it popped the spring out of place and cannot get it back. Project for this morning. Would not mind having one in 44-40. It also did not seem to have any issues shooting real BP.

Hochbauer

I’ve been shooting a Uberti 1873 (Cody Conagher action work) for a little over 10 years.  It’s a .357 and I had been looking to add a .44-40 to the stable.  In December I found a Winchester/Miroku in a local gun store.  It’s the basic rifle with a 20” round barrel and a blued receiver.

As others said, smoother than a stock Uberti and the lever travel is pretty similar to that of my “Codymatic”.  I had an aftermarket lever safety spring installed and had a local gunsmith smooth up the internals and lighten the stock springs.

The Miroku is fine for me, but I’m a middle of the pack shooter.  The top shooters tend towards the Uberti with aftermarket short stroke kits.

The other cowboy action shooting group has dis-allowed the "Winchester" '73, because they noted it came with a factory "short stroke" already in place.

A "short stroked" lever action, or revolver, is against their rules, so much to the disappointment of the Japanese manufacturers, they declined to allow it.

So sorry.  

So...I presume this means that there is no need for a short-stroke kit, if you purchase this Japanese "Winchester" rifle, since it is already there from the factory. 

W.K. 

One of the nicest rifles I've ever owned. Kaya can run ten rounds out well under three seconds when she is on her game. Stock rifles. No work needed.

my main rifle is Uberti Comp in 357  factory short stocked  

I have two winchesters short rifle and one with 24 in barrel 

the winchester is very nice right from the box just the lever lock spring needs replacing 

as you can see they are very close to each other 

uberti on the left 

IMG_0039.JPG

Archived