SASS Wire Forum

Hello SASS forum

Ezra Hawthorne

I didn't see an "introductions" thread on the forum so i'll post this here.

Hello SASSnet! Starting year two of our lovely national pandemic and social distancing has made me realize life is short. I've spent far too much time indoors sitting at the computer and after binge-watching some classic Western movies and TV series I decided it was time to join the sport. (Yes, I know I picked the worst possible time to start getting into shooting, but no time like the present.) I attended my first gun show early this year which lead me to GunBroker and eventually to here. At the time of this post, I am completely new to shooting (having only fired a pistol one time a decade ago) and have not been to any events relating to CAS, nor do I know anybody who has been. Most of my family members hunt and shoot guns, however my dad was not into it and thus never did it himself nor got me into it. I'm currently filling out online surveys for a pittance to gather up some spare funds for this hobby. Looking forward to meeting new people and attending my first show.

~Jeb

Welcome.

Before you buy any more guns for Cowboy Action Shooting - go to the range and see what others are using.  Ask questions and tell them you're interested.  Don't be surprised when you're offered the opportunity to shoot someone's guns, and do it.  But ask what, if any, work has been done.

Go here and see what clubs are closest to you.

Let me be the first to say welcome.   For a local club go here SASSNET  You’ll hear this from many here to go to some matches before you buy anything. This is not a cheap venture, between guns, leather, ammo, clothing, etc. but if you make the commitment you won’t be sorry. There are many many terrific people in this game, willing to help a new shooter with anything and everything. Go out, meet new friends and most importantly have fun. 

Welcome! You will find the greatest bunch of folks in this sport, far and away the best in any of the shooting sports.

The Utah State SASS Championship will be held the first of June in Salt Lake.  You are nearby so I would stop by for a day and watch the action.  I strongly agree with OLG: get some fundamental firearms training before you start competition.  We don't care how fast you shoot but insist on safe gun handling.  You need to develop safe gun handling skills before you shoot on the clock.

Welcome!

You won't regret this. :D Most fun available this side of the grass.

Like cowboys said take a gun safety class and then go to shoots, as many as you can.I did not find SASS until I was 67 years old.I found it looking for gun on the internet.I found a club in Orange,Texas and got the President's phone number and called him.Met him his wife and two more SASS shooters at one of their houses.That was  along time ago.You will not be disappointed.The people I have meet at shoots and some I just met on the wire are my closest friends.One that I have never met Help me get through my wife having cancer two time.WE would chat on the message and pray for as long as I need to talk at night.I love her and her hubby very much.You will not meet people any where better than here at SASS>

Welcome! I'm still kinda new myself.

Go to some shoots before you buy guns (or leather or even much in the way of costuming), figure out what you want out of this sport before you buy any of it.

Basically, you do need to understand that each club is a social gathering interrupted by periodic gunfire. The friends you make are more important than your time/score.

By delaying firearms purchases, I ended up completely changing my direction.

And if you have any experience in other shooting sports... (I do), you really do need the RO1 class. And if you don't have that experience, you still need that class. The safety system works, but it is different for our century-old tech. It is safe, but different from the modern sports.

Welcome Lots of folks will tell you not to spend a lot of money yet on guns and gear. That is excellent advice. But you can go get yourself a good hat. No, they arent required, but style is much appreciated. For some of us it makes up for lack of talent.

Imis

Thanks all. After checking out the link Chief Rick shared I found that my state's oldest active group also happens to be the nearest, less than 10 minutes away from me, so that's quite lucky. There will be an event scheduled next week so i'm looking forward to that. My late grandfather left behind a few holsters I can borrow, as well as a couple revolvers. He didn't leave anything to me specifically in his will, but if I ask nicely his kids may let me have one to keep. My dad never had any interest in hunting or shooting, so there's a good chance I could inherit it. For now, i'll continue scouring online for something I can afford and get practiced with in the meantime.

22 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Welcome! I'm still kinda new myself.

1,476 posts on the forum.. are you sure about that? :)

1 hour ago, JebidiahBeetus said:

1,476 posts on the forum.. are you sure about that? :)

I have not shot four of my guns that I've bought at a shoot yet, have not switched any of my guns to black powder (substitute) yet, have not shot with my new leather rigs yet.

Still making friends though! Eyeing June for the next shoot, sprained my wrist bad a few weeks ago but expect to be able to handle a few rounds then. And plan to shoot two of the new guns for the first time plus the two revolvers a 'pard sold me for a second time.

This is not Steel Challenge or IDPA or 3 Gun, this sport requires patience. The '97s will not come out of storage for a while, gonna run the slicked Stoeger SxS at the next match. I might run the SxS with APP sub, but I'll run the Winchester AA lites if I don't get to setting up my own loads by then. Probably won't have time for the brass shell loads. Yes, brass with APP, 'cuz fun.

Planning to take part in a local LEO fund-raiser 3-gun in August and need to spend time getting ready for the extremely limited rules for that one too.

While I'm seriously into competition, I am not going to be a champ in any of these sports. In part, because I am splitting my focus, and the rest of the reason is because I'm having fun. I'm out to beat my time, not anyone else's.

My recomended takeaways? Have fun! And make friends! And don't rush it!

I have almost 1,500 posts? I did not realize that, I'm sure most of those were in the saloon 'cuz making friends. Yes, I'm still a beginner. You will be too at 1,500 posts if you make friends here.

Glad you have quick access to club.  Mine are an hour and 1½ hours away but it takes me that long to drop back into a simpler time getting ready to mentally shoot.

Don't be afraid to bend an ear or two.  We love to help any- and everyone that shows up no matter what part of the country we're talking about.

Have fun, be safe and most importantly:  Aiming is Highly Overrated. :D

Prepare to be overwhelmed by the friendliest, most sincere folks you will ever meet.

Archived