SASS Wire Forum

Carrying spare cylinders?

TNtrapper

Howdy Gents,

Wondering how yall are carrying spare cap and ball cylinders. Generally I carry mine in a small pouch that attaches to my gun belt. Ive seen some folks carry in their pocket. I dont know how I would feel about a pocket full of blackpowder and lead rolling around in that area. What say yall??:wacko:

I carry mine in a box made just for them, after I shoot a stage I leave my pistols at the unload table while I take everything else to my cart. I them return to ULT with my box, swap out cylinders.  I normally tale over ULT when I do this

1 hour ago, TNtrapper said:

Howdy Gents,

Wondering how yall are carrying spare cap and ball cylinders. Generally I carry mine in a small pouch that attaches to my gun belt. Ive seen some folks carry in their pocket. I dont know how I would feel about a pocket full of blackpowder and lead rolling around in that area. What say yall??:wacko:

What’s going to set it off? It’s a non issue. 

Does anybody make a leather belt pouch especially for cylinders? The one I use is repurposed from an old black powder pouch.

Maybe look at speedloader pouches, I would think they would hold your cylinders.

6 hours ago, TNtrapper said:

Does anybody make a leather belt pouch especially for cylinders? The one I use is repurposed from an old black powder pouch.

Mernickle made mine.

They fit my Uberti .36 and Pietta .44 cylinders. 

https://www.mernickleholsters.com/shop/Cap-and-Ball-Spare-Cylinder-Pouch-p248161539

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

Just don't do what a shooter did a few years ago.

We were at a big match, out west, and the shooter was carrying his cylinders, loose, in a pouch.

Now, there's nothing wrong with this however, they were capped !!!

Yes, he had four sets of capped cylinders banging around in his pouch as he ran from position to position.

Just so happened, a member of the ROC, at that time, say it and corrected the issue, need I say have a serious talk even mentioning expulsion from the match and possibly SASS. Like I said, a long time ago, so both threats held credence.

12 hours ago, TNtrapper said:

I've done it.  Just have to know which gun the cylinder is for.  Strongly recommend AGAINST packing them capped, however.

I once (just once) took pre-charged cylinders to a match.  I found then having to CLEAN all 12 cylinders is a ROYAL PITA.  I personally cannot recommend the "extra" cylinders routine.  Just too much hassle.  Just as easy to re-charge between stages.

Carrying a Charged, CAPPED, cylinder is a huge NO NO.  Same connotation as carrying a loaded cartridge gun.  Only MORE dangerous.  Never Never.

9 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Strongly recommend AGAINST packing them capped, however.

Yea that is against the rules as capped cylinders is the same as a loaded revolver.

I have never carried extra cylinders on my belt. I do bring an extra cylinder just in case but it is not loaded. Once you have your steps figured out reloading between stages is not an issue. I agree cleaning two cylinders is enough fun for me.

4 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I have to ask. Why is anyone carrying extra cylinders on their belt? We don't do full pistol reloads anymore. And a 6th round load is done with the cylinder in the gun.

When I had only two cap guns (a 51 and 61 Uberti's), I did a few Josey Wales with 4 cylinders rather than 4 guns. The two spares in the holders (NOT capped).

Man were those times slow, the TO traded his timer for a calendar:rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I once (just once) took pre-charged cylinders to a match.  I found then having to CLEAN all 12 cylinders is a ROYAL PITA.  I personally cannot recommend the "extra" cylinders routine.  Just too much hassle.  Just as easy to re-charge between stages.

Carrying a Charged, CAPPED, cylinder is a huge NO NO.  Same connotation as carrying a loaded cartridge gun.  Only MORE dangerous.  Never Never.

+1000 to Coffinmaker!!!

I carry mine in the guns they were made for saves time.  4 Armies, 6 Navies, and 2 Police but the old horse looks at me funny if I try to put them on him.  I don't carry extra as I can charge almost as quick as I can change a cylinder.

I keep pre-charged (uncapped) cylinders for my NMA Remingtons in boxes for quick loading & capping at the LT (separate boxes for Piettas & Ubertis). 
Until such time that I add a loading station to my guncart, I'd rather clean multiple cylinders than multiple revolvers when I get back to the Wolf Den. ;)

cylinder boxes open sm.jpg

Archived