SASS Wire Forum

Win 73 bent lever

I had a out of battery discharge and now the lifter doesn't drop. As far as I can tell the lever is bent. How do you bend the lever with out making things worse? 

This question probably has been answered before but the wire search feature didn't find any thing.

Silver Rings

I stuck mine in a bench vice to bend it back to spec.  Used a new lever to compare to know when I reached spec.

REAL important to have a pattern of what an unbent lever shape is.   See if you or a friend have a new spare part to compare to.

I keep a new lever in my gun smithing tools bag.    Then I bend the damaged lever cold.   And test it to make sure the lever closes enough to hit the trigger safety bar tip to release the trigger safety.  Then you also get to check how the lever is lifting the carrier, to see if THAT geometry is right..  With careful attention, you can get it bent back on the first try.  Do not add any side twist - lever needs to stay in one single flat plane.

good luck, GJ

Did you check the spring that closes the lever to make sure it is not bent or broken?

I got a 76 with a bent lever.I used Sockets to drive in the lever.Kept going larger until it looked about right.It was bent pretty bad.

Largo

I bent mine back where it was supposed to be by just putting it in a vice.

They will eventually bend ... even w/o an OB discharge ... (simply from aggressive operation). s10.gif.1c39594789877afa7c78b7724a6f062e.gif

Anyhow ... when you have it in alignment the three pins (links and lever) will be perfectly in line.

This is super important to check before doing a short stroke kit ... (saves you a lot of time).

There are instructions that cover "bending the lever" on the Cowboys/Indians website ... (here is the link) ..

http://cowboysandindianstore.com/pdf/C-I short stroke instructions 4-30-14.pdf

They also sell heat treated levers that won't bend ...    

Archived