SASS Wire Forum

Michael Collins Apollo 11 Astronaut and Pilot Passed Today at 90

Cypress Sun

Rest in Peace. Used to see him a lot in Downey, Ca at the North American Aviation plant when we were building the Apollo in the early days of the program when I worked there. He was a real gentleman.

Yesterday my wife and I watched the movie “Independence Day”. In the opening scenes of the movie they show a replica of the plaque left on the moon by the Apollo 11 Astronauts. Michael Collins’ name site prominently right in the middle between the two men that set foot on the moon. 
Many people recognize the names of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, but Michael Collins is overlooked or forgotten, even though his contributions were just as important, maybe even more important for the success of that mission. 

image.jpeg.f72ec5bedffd1d1fd78561dadeaee941.jpeg

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yesterday my wife and I watched the movie “Independence Day”. In the opening scenes of the movie they show a replica of the plaque left on the moon by the Apollo 11 Astronauts. Michael Collins’ name site prominently right in the middle between the two men that set foot on the moon. 
Many people recognize the names of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, but Michael Collins is overlooked or forgotten, even though his contributions were just as important, maybe even more important for the success of that mission. 

image.jpeg.f72ec5bedffd1d1fd78561dadeaee941.jpeg

You have to wonder what was going through his mind as he listened to the conversations between mission control and the lunar lander. The possibility of having a solo return trip is not something I would want to ponder.

5 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

You have to wonder what was going through his mind as he listened to the conversations between mission control and the lunar lander. The possibility of having a solo return trip is not something I would want to ponder.

Wow! I had never considered this. Yes, you are absolutely right. I feel the same way. 

Archived