SASS Wire Forum

Recreating Guns of the Old West

Dutch Wheeler

Interesting that they cast the receivers before fine tuning on the cnc. I wonder if the originals were also cast instead of milled? Not sure of the strength advantage (if any) of either method but I've heard whispers on the wind that milled receivers tend to be stronger. Then again in a BP rifle any strength advantage either way is probably moot.

Don't worry LG, I already know they are the best!

The question is valid and still stands though, if anyone knows the answer :lol:

I have a trip planned to Glacier in July, with a two day detour to Bozeman and the Sharps factory that Friday - maybe I'll ask them directly and report back.

While I cannot say for sure, I seriously doubt that the originals were cast.  I would suspect that the modern repros, if cast, are investment cast, which is a whole other process than simply pouring molten steel into a mould.  Ruger uses investment casting for all of its single action revolver frames.  The advantage of investment casting is the uniformity of the grain structure throughout the piece.  Milling cuts across the grain structure, and while not a problem when properly done, investment cast pieces are stronger uniformly.  The only "drawback" to investment casting is that surface hardness may need to be enhanced by nitriding where sliding surfaces are present such as in bolt action rifle receivers. 

I have wanted a Shiloh Sharps for years. Maybe one day...

To make a long story short I had a chance to buy a Shiloh Sharps for $425 at a gun show. The seller had no clue. He took it on trade for an AR upper. I walked away to ponder how I would have explain to my wife I had gone over budget on my gun show trip and someone else snapped it up. Darn! I still kick myself... 

I have used my 1874 Sporter #3 Rifle for mule deer, elk and CAS long range.  It is a 45-70 and perhaps one of the finest rifles I have ever owned.   I generally shoot 405  grain lead bullets with BP behind the bullet.  I highly recommend this company...

Model 1874 Business Rifle, .45-70 Caliber, Serial #5162B.JPG

I have two Shiloh Sharps, and thanks to this video, I want/need another one.

The really wonderful problem will be...what caliber??? 

Many thanks, Dutch, for posting this video. Ya done good!!!

I wonder if that family would consider adopting me?

Love to work there, and participate in creating those instant classic heirlooms. 

As they say:...."Sharps....made the West safe for Winchester".

W.K. 

13 hours ago, Snakejaw_Joe said:

Don't worry LG, I already know they are the best!

The question is valid and still stands though, if anyone knows the answer :lol:

I have a trip planned to Glacier in July, with a two day detour to Bozeman and the Sharps factory that Friday - maybe I'll ask them directly and report back.

Shiloh's will easily take Ruger #1 level loads.

Ask Lucinda or Kirk about a tour.

The shop is open Mon-Thur.

Front store is open Mon-Fri.

Across the street from Shiloh is a neat place called The  Fort. Well worth the time to ck out.

OLG 

9 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have wanted a Shiloh Sharps for years. Maybe one day...

To make a long story short I had a chance to buy a Shiloh Sharps for $425 at a gun show. The seller had no clue. He took it on trade for an AR upper. I walked away to ponder how I would have explain to my wife I had gone over budget on my gun show trip and someone else snapped it up. Darn! I still kick myself... 

$450.00?

OMG!!

giphy (1).gif

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Shiloh's will easily take Ruger #1 level loads.

Ask Lucinda or Kirk about a tour.

The shop is open Mon-Thur.

Front store is open Mon-Fri.

Across the street from Shiloh is a neat place called The  Fort. Well worth the time to ck out.

OLG 

Good to know -- just in time to tweak the schedule! Have to be there for the shop. Thanks for the info.

Archived