SASS Wire Forum

Alternative to ballistol

Trigger Mike

I used to exclusively use bore butter to season muskets and cap and ball guns.   Then the forum showed me ballistol.   

Ballistol is hard to get where I live and hard to find on line sometimes.   

What else is good for cleaning and seasoning black powder guns?  

Seasoning??

Nah.  It's lousy on Chicken and Beef.  Never tried it on Pork or Eggs  :rolleyes:  Don't like it for anything except softening stiff boot leather.

PLUS ONE to Smuteye John if your cleaning BP or Subs.  

If you're cleaning that heathen fad smokeless stuff, Break Free.

Mobil 1 grease and oil plays well with black powder and subs.   Apply to cylinder pin/arbor and internals.  But I make sure bores and chambers have no lubes in them before shooting a match by running a dry patch through them.

Hot water with dish detergent is my best cleaning solution.

29 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

For cleaning?  Moose Milk- equal parts hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol and Murphy's Oil Soap.

For seasoning?  Whatever lube you are using.

I agree. I can’t stand the smell of Ballistol. It smells like vomit to me. The mixture Smuteye describes is what I used, actually I think he told me about it a few years ago. :D

It works great! Actually I think it cleans better than Ballistol. 

4 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

For cleaning?  Moose Milk- equal parts hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol and Murphy's Oil Soap.

For seasoning?  Whatever lube you are using.

I believe what you describe is actually referred to as PAM.

Moose Milk is typically 25% Ballistol and 75% water.

;)

2 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

Just put them in the dishwasher at night with the rest of the dinner dishes...Run it, done for the morning shoot...Easy...

Texas Lizard

No need to thank me...Just nice help someone out....

Even I know that's not a healthy life choice.

You'll be lucky if the Mrs. allows you to sleep on the porch- after you get out of the hospital.

6 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Even I know that's not a healthy life choice.

You'll be lucky if the Mrs. allows you to sleep on the porch- after you get out of the hospital.

Porch, would have nice...Truck front seat...It does lean back....

Texas Lizard

I always heard it referred to as M.A.P. (Murphy's soap, Alcohol, Peroxide) so as to not be confused with the cooking spray.

7 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Pam as in cooking spray pam?

Nope

Peroxide (Same Hydrogen Peroxide you would find in your medicine cabinet

Alcohol (Isopropyl or rubbing. Both work equally well.)

Murphy's Oil Soap 

Mix in equal parts. Store in a opaque container to prevent sunlight from breaking down the peroxide.

22 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

I used to exclusively use bore butter to season muskets and cap and ball guns.   Then the forum showed me ballistol.   

Ballistol is hard to get where I live and hard to find on line sometimes.   

What else is good for cleaning and seasoning black powder guns?  

As others have said, equal parts rubbing alcohol, peroxide and Murphy's oil soap.  Works great cleaning BP & BP subs, makes a great hand sanitizer, cleans your hands as well as your guns and I've even used around the house to clean.

21 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Get some Windex multi-surface with vinegar and try it.

Best real BP cleaner there is. 

OLG 

Works well at getting that melted plastic out of shotgun barrels- for those that insist on using plastic wads when shooting BP instead of fiber- as well.

PAM cooking spray works just dandy as patch lube in a muzzleloader rifle.  It’s canola oil and plays well with black powder fouling.  Never had reason to try it in CAS guns, no opinion there.  I don’t see any reason why it would not work as a lubricant.  I doubt it would be an effective cleaner.

I have NEVER liked Balistol. Just about anything you can come up with will do a better job. Also, the idea that petroleum products are not good with BP is just not correct. It displaces water, where as Balistol holds the water. Rust!

4 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

PAM cooking spray works just dandy as patch lube in a muzzleloader rifle.  It’s canola oil and plays well with black powder fouling.  Never had reason to try it in CAS guns, no opinion there.  I don’t see any reason why it would not work as a lubricant.  I doubt it would be an effective cleaner.

I'd never of thunk it!

On 4/28/2021 at 9:13 AM, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

We like CLP

After cleaning, I spray down, run a patch through and if stored longer than normal, give a quick spritz down the barrel.

Have had great luck!

Oh yeah... CLP is nano-infused, non-toxic, cleaner, lubricant, protectant, AND non-petroleum, as well. Perfect for black powder toys. 

For cleaning the bore, after a shooting session, the NMLRA came out with an article, a few years ago, that said, use the blue windshield washer fluid, initially, and then follow up with a good non-petroleum based oil...which would be something like CLP. 

I have used this method, they recommended, for years, and the bores of my black powder firearms are mirrors. It takes about 3 or 4 patches, with the blue windshield washer fluid, and a couple more with the CLP, and you're done. No hot water, no home made mixtures, no lengthy time involved. 

But...each of us has a method they consider the best way. I just figured the NMLRA would know a thing or two about black powder firearms, and all.

My Two Bits.

W.K. 

Archived