SASS Wire Forum

Why would they have this?

Alpo

Gary Cooper movie. Springfield Rifle. It is supposed to be taking place during the middle of the War of 1861, although the rifle they are interested in is the Model 1873.

Coop is an army officer who allows himself to be cashiered so he can go into the Confederacy as a spy and they won't suspect him.

And I just wondered why a fort in Colorado would have a bucket of yellow paint? What would they be painting yellow that they needed to have yellow paint?

3 minutes ago, Alpo said:

And I just wondered why a fort in Colorado would have a bucket of yellow paint? What would they be painting yellow that they needed to have yellow paint?

The yellow paint is for the speed bumps. Gotta slow the Confederate cavalry somehow. 

19 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Gary Cooper movie. Springfield Rifle. It is supposed to be taking place during the middle of the War of 1861, although the rifle they are interested in is the Model 1873.

Coop is an army officer who allows himself to be cashiered so he can go into the Confederacy as a spy and they won't suspect him.

For the same reason they had 1973 rifles: because Hollywood said so.

When you finished painting the rocks white you made em yellow. Then when you finished painting em yellow you made em white.

At least that's the kind of reasoning Uncle Sam taught me as a buck private.

The army actually had and still has official colors made for certain purposes. As Charlie mentioned, Yellow has been the Cavalry branch color since the middle of the 19th century. Wagon wheels, signs, parts of limbers and  other equipment was painted to protect the wood. Most forts also were not the log stockade type that Hollywood is so fond of but rather a collection of separate buildings. Officers residences, subtler, HQ building, company orderlies rooms, carpentry, infirmary, and more. A variety of colors were used so it’s perfectly reasonable for a military post to have a supply of different paints.

Check out some Colorado and Kansas forts here 

Colorado

Kansas

The 1873 Winchester actually came out in 1856.  The government suppressed it to avoid widespread panic.  They use the same technique with home made gasoline and lead-into-gold converters today.

40 minutes ago, Joke 'um said:

The 1873 Winchester actually came out in 1856. 

6 hours ago, Alpo said:

Gary Cooper movie. Springfield Rifle.

Not Winchester rifle. Springfield rifle. Different 1873 rifle.

i think it was 'poetic license' , they probably wanted the 1860 henry that few had at the time , that or they were just crossing eras in the story to keep it interesting for their "modern audiences" of the time , hollywierd has always crossed the lines and eras to sell a movie ticket 

They had it in the movie so they can use it to paint a yellow stripe down his back so everyone would know he was a coward and that's why he was being kicked out of the army.

What I wanted to know was why they would have a bucket of yellow paint in real life. Which Bob explained perfectly.

There was a Springfield 1861 musket, maybe they used the 1873 to reload easier for the movie?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Model_1861

Archived