SASS Wire Forum

things are getting expensive

Trigger Mike

My wife and I thought we'd go out for supper and leave the children with my mom.  We thought of Red Lobster , which is 45 minutes away.  I checked their web site to make sure they were open .  They were, only the online menu informed us that the 9.99 and 13.99 meals we once got before the virus were now 19.99 and up.  some meals were not 39.99.  

We then checked Longhorn and a NY strip that we used to get for 14 was now 20.  The porterhouse that I was too cheap but always wanted to get at 19 was now 30.  

We then checked locally owned steak houses, one that would insinuate a dress code wanted similar prices and didn't have food we usually eat, not being as fancy as they seemed to be. The rest were closed.  We did go to Ruby Tuesday and they were always high anyway.  

My daughter works at shoneys and she said they are raising their prices and constantly run out of food.  

We have a collection of diners, cafes and greasy spoons we frequent. (We never eat at a chain restaurant or fast food place unless desperate.)  We're old and have a small appetite so we tend to order something on the light end of the menu. Not that long ago we could get an old fashioned hand pressed hamburger and fries for about $5 each.  Now the cheapest thing on the menus are over $10.  

Last Friday we stopped in at The Rebel Pig in Palmyra Missouri.  They have a catfish and pulled pork buffet for $10.99.  Everything on their order menu was over $10.  I had to eat dinner and supper to get my money's worth.  

You drive around our neighborhood,  mid-west in general and you'd swear there were at least two black angus cows for every person in the country.  You'd think beef would be cheap. 

5a4a9021b9238_NewcalfJanuary12018.jpg.a612958890c2feecdd3d9cfdccf4372a.jpg

I checked your location after reading your post. I'm so sorry.

Prices here are maybe a buck more for a meal, if they've gone up. One can hope that if people obey the Biden beef restriction, it would lower prices due to lack of demand. :lol:

Gas is about 80 cents more. Ammo, if you can get it is up about 200%. Chain gun stores are close to MSRP, with private gun stores are very proud of their stock, if they have any. It's hard feeling good about things when there is so much going on trying to tear things down. I try to remain hopeful. 

All commodity prices are way up.  Supply levels dropped over the last year and now demand it quickly coming back to normal while production is lagging.  Add the stimulus cash the government keeps injecting and you have the perfect inflationary storm, at least short term.

As St. Hank the younger said once upon a time- “.....interest is up and the stock market down, and you only get robbed if you go downtown.”

Many of you know from where I speak.

ML

Here is an interesting article explaining why food and other prices are going up. I am sure it doesn’t tell the whole story but it has some valid points. It is not a long read. 

https://www.mashed.com/349212/food-prices-will-continue-to-rise-in-2021-heres-why/

I didn’t write it so...

The freeze in texas has hit chicken farmers hard 

west coast Crab season has been short  and prices have doubled 

too many buffets are closed for good 

We lost some restaurants but most survived.   The local ones that remain have cut their hours due to food and staff shortages.   

Before I knew a virus was coming a guy agreed to sell me cows when they were ready.  By that time the virus was in its early stages but he opted to sell me a butchered cow.  I was glad I bought it.  

This winter I bought another one,  also really glad I did.  

Restaurant food has increased significantly in California. We here in the U.S. have become accustomed to cheap food. Most people in the world spend a lot more of their income on food.

2 hours ago, Snakebite said:

Restaurant food has increased significantly in California. We here in the U.S. have become accustomed to cheap food. Most people in the world spend a lot more of their income on food.

Yep, my wife and I went to Panera Bread the other day. We had a gift card or that wouldn’t have happened. 
Anyway, a sandwich, muffin, cup of water, strawberry lemonade and a pack of cookies to go = $24.50 :blink:

Our favorite Chinese place is a casualty of the pandemic.
The once-excellent food quality is now cut back, no more soup, higher prices and has a texture like it was frozen last week, and thawed out for today.
They lost our business.

22 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Our favorite Chinese place is a casualty of the pandemic.
The once-excellent food quality is now cut back, no more soup, higher prices and has a texture like it was frozen last week, and thawed out for today.
They lost our business.

Had the same experience with our local Chinese food restaurant. I do feel sorry for the restaurants that were forced to be closed for so long here in California, and I realize that the cost of food has risen do to a number of factors.... and I don't have a problem with them raising the prices.... BUT... it seems like some of them are trying to make up their losses too quickly. They are driving folks like us away. 

Don't forget that the $15.00 per hour for unskilled labor push (where it has gone through) has jumped restaurant prices also.

I will also opine that some of these increasing prices have no justification other than greed and that the companies involved blame it on Covid.

45 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yep, my wife and I went to Panera Bread the other day. We had a gift card or that wouldn’t have happened. 
Anyway, a sandwich, muffin, cup of water, strawberry lemonade and a pack of cookies to go = $24.50 :blink:

A bowl of cheese and broccoli soup with a hunk of bread was $8.00!!! I got water which was free or it would have been $2.50 more. The nice thing is there’s no tip !

One of my clients is a property management company.
Hearing their side of the story is very educational.

They cannot evict if the renter makes any kind of payment toward the rent.
Landlords are still on the hook 100% for mortgage, insurance, rental licenses, property taxes, maintenance, ad nauseum.
A renter who cannot pay the rent today, will certainly never be able to pay his missed back rent, so the owner takes it up the...

Here in CA, commercial rents are such that a stimulus check might cover a week's rent for a restaurant.
Correct me if wrong, but family-owned business (mini-marts, chinese restaurants, etc) are exempt from the $15 minimum wage and workman's comp.

I think Amazon made an extra $ Trillion during the pandemic. Big box stores made money. S&P 500 went up about 26%. Small businesses, restaurants, not so much.

From what I'm seeing, contractors, tradesmen, installers, etc. are quite busy and are months behind. I would encourage young people to be a tradesman instead of college. They would have an opportunity to make big bucks. I would hate to be a new graduate with all the support for foreign workers gunning for their jobs. I would also hate to be heavily in student debt, too, but might get bailed out on the taxpayer's dime.

7 hours ago, watab kid said:

so - who is getting rich on all of this ? i have a lot of thoughts based on the posts above and observations but what do yall think ? 

The health care industry is big.  It's been taken over by the federal government.  Led by the largest crime organization in America. A way to fix prices, stifle competition, and distribute our money to places we don't approve of. 

Time to get into the old school cattle rustlin' business?

The conspiracy is the massive deficit spending that runs up the price of everything.
When M1 increases (printing money), the price of everything goes up.
Also basic economics.

In Germany during the hyper inflation era, Deutschmarks were only printed on the front side, to save the ink expense.
In the end, the currency was valued not by the denomination, but by the pounds it weighed.

image.money.11.inflation.germany.360.jpg

And to all the other reasons listed above, let us not forget that fuel prices have gone up.  When transportation costs go up, the cost of everything goes up.

Take care,

BS

Fuel prices up, electrical rates iincreased, water rates increased (although this was an earlier multi-year approval), food up, hops up...think this is going to be a sustained trend for awhile...

On 4/28/2021 at 1:48 AM, watab kid said:

so - who is getting rich on all of this ? i have a lot of thoughts based on the posts above and observations but what do yall think ? 

Banks, insurance companies, Amazon... the usual suspects.

like mentioned above, everyone has the little guys in the crosshairs... landlords, doctors, small shop owners... when the banks and the insurance companies are the ones silently reaping the rewards off of their backs.

what do you do when you cant evict a tenant that doesnt pay, but the bank threatens to foreclose you on your mortgage? I have a feeling we are going to see a lot of foreclosures come July when the moratorium is lifted.

absolutely , then the ownership shifts and many of us small timers become nonexistant , when the government takes over everything what do we have ? 

We were on a shopping trip today and on our way back Sawmill Mary made a run into the grocery store deli to pick up a barbecue pork steak lunch.  She got back to the truck and was all wound up about the price of beer.  Seems it went up at least $2 a six pack for regular old domestic beer. And the coolers and shelves were very low.  Now we don't consume a lot of beer and wine but just not a good trend.

Archived