SASS Wire Forum

?Before plastic wads loading manual for shotgun??????

Pee Wee #15785

Very long shot but trying to find a loading manual that list loads with out using the plastic wads of today.  Back around 1970 I remembering loading trap loads using fiber, felt, and cork wads.  At 75 I don't remember what went first or how thick to use.  I' know I need over and under shot cards but not size or thickness.  I was using paper hulls at that time.  Used them in a double over/under and I think the Browning A5.  They were made on an very old MEC.  The name and number on the loading manual will work ok, just something to get started.

If you can find one, pick up a copy of Shotguns And Patterns(may not be exact title but close). By George Oberfel,  It is the definitive source for info on shotgun shells before plastic wads were introduced. 

I have powder and primer but plastic wads are hard to come by so time to go old school, still have the MEC from the 70's I used.  I have been told you can punch fiber wads out of the black fiber board used in framing houses, anyone know if this is true?  I have several wad punches that years ago was used with muzzleloaders.   I got a lot more information off this board than several shotgun boards I posted on.

Thanks for the info now a hunten I go!!!!

+1 for Ballistic Products, they also have a loading manual for brass shells for IIRC $15.

@Pee Wee #15785As to the book under discussion earlier in this thread (Mysteries)... It is possible to buy a copy for as little as $42 including shipping. Anyway, I just snagged a copy for that price. Apply some good Google foo, there are likely other fairly-priced copies out there.

Anyway, thanks @Mack Hacker, #60477 and @Joeronimo Caffiend for the pointer to this book. Other reviews suggest this is a great reference book for our sport.

From the bottom to top.  Paper shells of  course

Powder

Nitro Card

Fiber Wad,  (thickness varied according to  components but it was selected to fill the completed round  properly so as to have a good crimp)

Shot 

Over shot card

Crimp

Blackfoot

Lyman 42nd edition, Reloader's Handbook September 1960 has what you are looking for. 

What particular powder are you using it lists Hercules Unique, Alcan Super M, Alcan 101, Hercules Red Dot, Du Pont M-B, Du Pont  PB, Alcan AL-5,  and Alcan AL-7 and shot charge and I will list the info.

On 4/28/2021 at 8:31 PM, BLACKFOOT SASS #11947 said:

From the bottom to top.  Paper shells of  course

Powder

Nitro Card

Fiber Wad,  (thickness varied according to  components but it was selected to fill the completed round  properly so as to have a good crimp)

Shot 

Over shot card

Crimp

Blackfoot

Works in plastic hulls too of course.   No real "load info" required.  Pick a powder charge and shot weight you want to use...adjust column height with wads.  (I used to cut the shot cup off plastic wads and just use that cup  it on top of the fibre wad.....with a normal star crimp of the (plastic) hull.... )

Archived