SASS Wire Forum

Really awful western TV series

I just finished 27 hours of every episode of Brisco County Junior.

27 hours of awful plots, mediocre to lousy acting, horrible concepts, and generally wasted time.  My daughter told me it was a great spoof of westerns, but she and her husband love Doctor Who and zombie movies, too.

I don't know how I failed her so badly.

Yeah.  I'm pretty sure that unless you're a fan of Bruce Campbell and/or understand the appeal of Troma Entertainment et. all and/or the Syndicated TV scene of the 90's, you're not going to "get it" understand it, or even like it.

Kind of takes a special sort of geek...

17 minutes ago, Red Eye Jim said:

Yeah.  I'm pretty sure that unless you're a fan of Bruce Campbell and/or understand the appeal of Troma Entertainment et. all and/or the Syndicated TV scene of the 90's, you're not going to "get it" understand it, or even like it.

The key word here being “geek”!!

1 hour ago, Red Eye Jim said:

Geek here.

I bought the DVD series and recycle through it every two or three years. We can still hear the main theme music played on TV during sports events like the Olympics.

I think if it was really that bad, FR would not have watched all the episodes!

Let me be clear.  I too am a geek.  In many ways everyone here is like one form of geek or other.  I was not saying geek as if it were a bad word.  After all, it the geeks, not the meek that shall inherit the earth....  (Or so I've been led to believe)

Just now, Red Eye Jim said:

Let me be clear.  I too am a geek.  In many ways everyone here is like one form of geek or other.  I was not saying geek as if it were a bad word.  After all, it the geeks, not the meek that shall inherit the earth....  (Or so I've been led to believe)

When we get done with it ( the earth) It might not be all that much of a prize. 

No matter how zany the idea, some body, somewhere, will sing it's praises, and someone else will decry it's failures. 

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I just finished 27 hours of every episode of Brisco County Junior.

27 hours of awful plots, mediocre to lousy acting, horrible concepts, and generally wasted time.  My daughter told me it was a great spoof of westerns, but she and her husband love Doctor Who and zombie movies, too.

I don't know how I failed her so badly.

I liked it.  Bruce Campbell is usually a lot of fun and he doesn't take himself or Hollywood too seriously.  I consider it more of a science fiction series with comedic elements that happens to take place in the Old West rather than a Western.

Bruce Campbell seems to be a pretty decent guy.

Quick cut from an interview....

Fox News: How do your neighbors feel about the fact that you're an actor?
Campbell: My neighbors, they don't care at all. A guy came up as soon as I moved in. He drove up to my driveway. He goes, "I understand you're a cowboy on a TV show." I said, "Yes, sir." He goes, "Well, why don't you get your ass on a horse this Saturday and help me run a hundred head of cattle up the road?" I was like, "Are you serious?" He goes, "Serious as a heart attack." I went, "You got a horse?" "Yeah, I got a horse." (I said,) "Well, I guess I'm helping you on Saturday."

I mean, I'm not a cowboy, but I can ride a horse. I went down there and met all my neighbors in one day. I met more neighbors in one day in Oregon than in the last three years of living right next to somebody in Los Angeles. You never talk to them. I like the social dynamics of it.

2 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Geek here.

I bought the DVD series and recycle through it every two or three years. We can still hear the main theme music played on TV during sports events like the Olympics.

I think if it was really that bad, FR would not have watched all the episodes!

Bingo!!

We only made it through 3 or 4 episodes of "The Prisoner"!
loved Brisco. 

But it's NOT a serious western! Who would think it is?

The intentions for Brisco County, Jr was definitely a Weird West/Steam Punk kind of deal.

Writers drew inspiration from Wild Wild West and Indiana Jones because they wanted pure pulp.

Not everyone’s taste, but I’ve always found the show humorous and tropey to good effect. An overly smart horse. A villain played by Billy Drago with a chandelier in his secret cave lair.

10 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

When are we going to stop putting up without a  sarcasm icon thingy?

We also need to get rid of that goofy snowflake heart and change it to a thumb's up for "like."

thumbs-up.png

10 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

For me to binge watch a show. The first episode needs to draw me in. I recall a recent series, I made it half way through the second episode.

I tend to agree, if I don't find the premise interesting or like at least some of the characters I rarely make it through the second episode.   "The Boys" never worked for me even though I like Karl Urban.   I think "The Expanse" is one of the few that started slowly that I am really glad I kept watching.  

21 minutes ago, Chantry said:

I tend to agree, if I don't find the premise interesting or like at least some of the characters I rarely make it through the second episode.   "The Boys" never worked for me even though I like Karl Urban.   I think "The Expanse" is one of the few that started slowly that I am really glad I kept watching.  

The Expanse?  Maybe I’ll take a second look at it

13 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

The Expanse is worth it. Starts slow, but then it really builds and takes off. 

26 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

The TV series is very good and the books are even better.

Another that I enjoyed the entire series was Grimm. Really good characters and they kept the story arc solid all the way through. Plus, the star crossed lover's episode was hysterical.

20 hours ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

We only made it through 3 or 4 episodes of "The Prisoner"!

I love that show.  It was made before I was born but I've seen every episode multiple times.  Now ya got me thinking about it I might need to find it and watch it some more. 

2 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I love that show.  It was made before I was born but I've seen every episode multiple times.  Now ya got me thinking about it I might need to find it and watch it some more. 

you can have my copies! we hated it

15 hours ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

you can have my copies! we hated it

You still shoot at TRR?  I'll let ya know next time I can make a match.  It might be LSTR 2021.  Been traveling so much since covid hit that I have to take vacation to get a free weekend. 

Archived