SASS Wire Forum

BP and Hy-Tek Bullets

Tequila Shooter

There’s a night BP 3 stage side match coming up. I already use BP in SG and C&B pistols, but in the rifle I’m using APP.  If I used BP in 50 rifle rounds using a Hy-Tek coated bullet does anyone see any problems?  I really don’t want to try to buy 50 bullets with a big lube groove.  

Thanks

I haven't been using it long, maybe two monthly matches, but APP with HyTek bullets has been no issue for me.

I tried using coated bullets in my musket and it was a disaster.  After about 5 conical bullets it was very hard to get the next one down the bore.  I went back to lubed bullets when I shoot BP.

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Run a bore snake or swab down the bore between stages and you should be fine. 

THIS^^^^

At the distances we shoot real BP will work just fine with a good swabbing between stages. I have a small squirt bottle of Windex that I use to wet the patches. Once I have the barrel clean I run a patch soaked in Ballistol down the barrel.

You can run just about any bullet with APP.  But the OP is asking about BP.  There was a thread in the last year or so about using smokeless bullets for BP.  It had a lot of info, and several people do it without issue. 

Its with posts like this I ask......................................... What would Phantom do?:rolleyes:

For the OP I recall Phantom often saying he used coated projectiles with BP all the time, no issues.

3 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

You can run just about any bullet with APP.  But the OP is asking about BP.  There was a thread in the last year or so about using smokeless bullets for BP.  It had a lot of info, and several people do it without issue. 

Has anyone also lubed this type of bullet.I've thought about doing this on my powder coated bullets for long range.

Largo

I have tried molly coated bullets with BP, did not work well lots of scrubbing after shooting  the moly coating was like concrete. I have heard people say that they use coated bullets with no issue.  Not me! I use moly with app and black mz with great results. 

You're millage may very I'm just responding with my results. Way to much work, I use bp lube when I shoot bp.

Rafe 

On 4/26/2021 at 12:27 PM, Tequila Shooter said:

There’s a night BP 3 stage side match coming up. I already use BP in SG and C&B pistols, but in the rifle I’m using APP.  If I used BP in 50 rifle rounds using a Hy-Tek coated bullet does anyone see any problems?  I really don’t want to try to buy 50 bullets with a big lube groove.  

Thanks

Coated bullets is all I use with APP. 

Been using Cimarron coated ( Hitech) coated bullets (105, 125, 135, and 147) for several years....Triple Seven 2F.  All four plenty accurate. for me.

You pay the shipping and I will send you 50 bullets with a Big Lube groove if that is the way you want to go. No one answered that they use coated with BP, just subs. I don't use coated or subs so I can't tell you either.

2 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

You pay the shipping and I will send you 50 bullets with a Big Lube groove if that is the way you want to go. No one answered that they use coated with BP, just subs. I don't use coated or subs so I can't tell you either.

Very generous of you. :)

At SASS distances coated bullets will work with real BP but you will have to swab out the barrel after every stage.

Here are 2 affirmative answers to your question.

On 4/26/2021 at 11:54 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I run Bear Creek  Supply moly-coat with real BP without issue.

OLG 

On 4/26/2021 at 4:31 PM, Major Crimes said:

Its with posts like this I ask......................................... What would Phantom do?:rolleyes:

For the OP I recall Phantom often saying he used coated projectiles with BP all the time, no issues.

Along with an equal number of negatives... the rest... not so much! :ph34r:

4 hours ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

I have tried molly coated bullets with BP, did not work well lots of scrubbing after shooting  the moly coating was like concrete. I have heard people say that they use coated bullets with no issue.  Not me! I use moly with app and black mz with great results. 

You're millage may very I'm just responding with my results. Way to much work, I use bp lube when I shoot bp.

Rafe 

On 4/26/2021 at 11:46 AM, Nickel City Dude said:

I tried using coated bullets in my musket and it was a disaster.  After about 5 conical bullets it was very hard to get the next one down the bore.  I went back to lubed bullets when I shoot BP.

Maybe it depends on the actual coating?

Tried Moly-Coat bullets with BP.  Disaster.  The purpose of BP Lube is to keep the fouling soft.  Without correct lube, you get concrete.  Black, Yucky,  Hard to Clean concrete.  I did not have a Harmonious experience.  Cannot Recommend it.

Moly-Coat with APP works a treat.  Not lots of flame.  Smokeless Lube with APP works a treat.  Not lots of flame.  BP Lube with APP works a treat.  Not lots of flame.  NO Lube with APP works a treat.  Not lots of flame.

YMMV

The header on the OP's original post was  "BP and Hy-Tek Bullets"  . Not Moly coat, not APP, not what Phantom might do. He will have some Big Lubes on the way soon, just need to work out the details.

I love night shoots, and I load fg just to make more sparks and flame for my daughter's and my guns.

16 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Very generous of you. :)

At SASS distances coated bullets will work with real BP but you will have to swab out the barrel after every stage.

I do not find that need at all, but do like to run a couple of patches of Windex down barrel every couple of stages.  Heck I did that when shooting CB Goex and Black Dawge bullets.

Archived