SASS Wire Forum

AWA Lightning question?

Sitting around this morning waiting for the appliance guys. I was pondering my AWA Lightning. What has popped into head was the question. Can it be converted to shoot 45ACP? What say you guys who know their way around this little rifles?

Maybe.  If you're willing to throw enough money at it.  Cut the chamber off, set the barrel back, re-chamber.  Cut and remount the magazine tube and cut the spring.  Make new magazine cartridge stop, Make new bolt with extractor/ejector.  Chances that it would actually work??  Probably Zero.  And, it's a "one way trip". There are no replacement parts for an AWA. 

I asked Lassiter about a conversion on a Taurus to C .45 Spl.  He just shook his head.  

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

I asked Lassiter about a conversion on a Taurus to C .45 Spl.  He just shook his head.  

Since C .45 Spl. is just a rimmed .45ACP, if Lassiter said no to that cartridge, then I would say be extension that .45 ACP is just as big of a no.   If anyone knows his way around the innards of a Lightning, and what they can and can not do, or be modified to do, it's him.

The original poster said his was an AWA.   Me, my first Lightning was an AWA in .45 Colt.   I know have seven Lightnings.   3 AWAs, and 4 Colts.   If my experiences with the first one were not great, I'd not have purchased the next six.   You've got one that works, don't mess with it unless you have to.  :)

Triple ditto on Colorado, Sarge, and H.K.!!  And Colorado was right on all the changes you have to make. Much better off buying  a Lightning that already is set up to shoot your desired caliber.

RR

Thanks for the replies. It was an idea that does not look like it will pan out. Ideally I would have liked a Lightening in 38-40 but 45 Colt is what was available at the time. 

36 minutes ago, Marshal TKD, Sass # 36984L said:

Thanks for the replies. It was an idea that does not look like it will pan out. Ideally I would have liked a Lightening in 38-40 but 45 Colt is what was available at the time. 

I know that AWA's came in .45 Colt and .44-40, as I have one of each.   I also saw one once in .38 Special.   I don't know if they were made in other calibers.

Original Colts came in .44-40, .32-20, which I have, and yes, .38-40, which I do not.   Finding a real Colt in that caliber may be a challenge though.  I've seen plenty of .44's, and a few .32's.   I've never seen a .38, but then again, I have not actively looked for one.

I do not know if .38 for is/was made by Pedersoli/any of the other makers of reproductions.   Given how .38-40 is just a necked down .44-40, it is reasonable to guess that simply rebarreling a .44 would be the easiest way to get one if you can't find one.  

But beware, before long you're gonna want a Large Frame (which can be expensive) and a .22.  Those can be pricy, "for a .22" but can still be found for a reasonable price if you are patient.

Good luck.

Years ago I talked to Russel at AWA and he had said he could do a 38-40 conversion, I just never pulled the trigger on it. More recently Lassiter said he can do the conversion to 38-40. Muddling that one.
Most probably will get it slicked up and leave it 45 Colt... although the octagon barrel is calling. 

9 hours ago, Marshal TKD, Sass # 36984L said:

Years ago I talked to Russel at AWA and he had said he could do a 38-40 conversion, I just never pulled the trigger on it. More recently Lassiter said he can do the conversion to 38-40. Muddling that one.
Most probably will get it slicked up and leave it 45 Colt... although the octagon barrel is calling. 

Have you ever used your AWA at a shoot?   Neither of mine are slicked up and they work great.

I always thought they were called a "Lightning"... but mine might be a misprint?

2 minutes ago, Griff said:

I always thought they were called a "Lightning"... but mine might be a misprint?

Lightening = losing weight

Lightning = electricity from the sky, or

Lightning = Colt rifle

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Lightening = losing weight

Lightning = electricity from the sky, or

Lightning = Colt rifle

Lightnin' = A character on the Amos and Andy show

Larsen...

I looked it up in Webster's... it says:  "Light•ning", noun, singular, a very fun gun to shoot that will bring you lots of buckles and First Place pendants!

Yup - that's what is says right there in Webster's!

RR

Ya gotta love auto correct. Thinks it knows what’s what. Only took two additional tries to convince it that Lightning was what I really meant. 

Yes I have shot it in a match or two. Mine feels a little sticky to me.

9 hours ago, Marshal TKD, Sass # 36984L said:

Yes I have shot it in a match or two. Mine feels a little sticky to me.

Fair enough.

Based on what I have read here on the Wire, there are folks, like me, who swear by the AWA's   There are also those who curse them, and a range of opinions in between.  I guess that all means that it is fair to say that the AWA was hit or miss, and it's all luck of the draw what you get with one.

That being said, I will say that mine in .45 Colt MUST be kept clean.  If you don't clean it after every match, it can malfunction.   I learned this the hard way.   In .45 Colt, it is especially important to flush out the firing pin with Gunscrubber.  Doesn't hurt to rise out the whole action either.  Keep it clean and well oiled and it will serve you well.

I have not yet had a chance to put the .44-40 to the "non cleaning" test, but it was a heck of a lot cleaner than the .45 was after a match using pretty much an identical powder charge.

Archived