SASS Wire Forum

Keeping in touch with lifelong friends

sassnetguy50

The Hollywood movie was on the TV guide, made me look for the true story article.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887323375204578269991660836834

Read it, started thinking, there are many friends that have come and gone.  Now we just see eachother at funerals.

Do any of you have a unique method of staying in touch as people move around the world?

Since I am not on FB no one comes looking for me. Wheeeeew! :D

No one seems to know how to make a phone call anymore... :blink:

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

I call long time friends every week or so. A couple have been friends for over sixty years 

Sad to say, many old friends are gone too soon...many I lost track of. Many I reconected with on FB, only to find we are from different 'worlds'...and have since left FB.

The close/true friends are still in phone calls, letters and visits!

I have actually used Facebook to reach out to old friends. And I can keep in touch with some family members also. It’s not always a bad medium. 

I don't have too many friends to begin with. I can count them on one hand. People can say "My friend this or that"...truth is that most "friends" are really just acquaintances. To have a true friend over the decades of life is a blessing in itself.  Just talked to one of mine to wish him Happy 59th birthday. Back many years ago, I gave him his nickname....Buzz. He is my closest friend to this day. 

Thick and thin. You know what I mean.

Since my folks moved so many times during my early youth, I didn’t really make any “childhood” friends. The nearest thing that I can claim is a couple of friends from my adolescence.  We kinda connected because of a love of music, Rock ‘n’ Roll specifically. Over the years we lost touch and caught back up more than once. Our tastes also gravitated to the Blues.

Eddie now plays drums and keyboards and sings in my band. Barry played guitar in the original touring Charlie Daniels band and more recently in my band until hearing difficulties forced him to semi-retire.

We still get together, the three of us, for lunch or just to BS and hang out.

I have a couple of guys that I rode many miles with and took care of business with that I see on occasion.

A true friend who has long since passed once told me that most people can count on one hand the number of acquaintances that they still associate with after ten years. I’m lucky in that I have several friends, cowboys, bikers, and musicians, that I could call on if I wound up in jail.

A couple of them would probably be in the adjoining cell on any given occasion! :rolleyes: :o :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

More and more, most of my friends seem to have 4 legs instead of two. ;)

On 4/26/2021 at 9:12 AM, Dantankerous said:

Where do you find the number to dial when people move, change numbers, drop landlines, get new cell phones?  We haven't received a new phone book in years.

On 4/26/2021 at 8:12 AM, Dantankerous said:

A lot of people have given up their landlines in favor of cell phones - I did about fifteen years ago. Even if you know where somebody currently lives, there is no cell phone directory to look up their number. I get a phone book in the mail every year, but it's pretty much worthless when I can find a published number by simply asking my phone.

I've lost contact with most of the guys I grew up with. I have one that I talk to fairly regularly that lives in Texas and know where two more are, I believe. Wife has face booked with one of them at times and worked with the other's sister's husband.:blush:

I don't do FB or any of the social media sites. I have many friends whom I've kept in contact for 30 to 60 years, most of them I either call or text. All of my friends, old and new are a blessing to me and they are part of who I am today.

I will say without hesitation that Facebook allowed me to maintain contact with my brothers in arms from the military, in years past reconnect with fraternity brothers that I had nearly lost contact with, and most recently, a few friends from high school that I thought I had lost contact with.

Without Facebook, my fraternity brothers and I would never have been able to arrange and coordinate a remembrance and memorial for two of our brothers who were killed by a drunk driver over thirty years ago.

As a result of Facebook, I have plans to do a video chat with several of my high school friends, and see what nearly forty years has done for us.

I can be very critical of the platform, but like most anything else, it is a tool that can be utilized to very good affect. To try to keep up with that many by phone would be impracticable for me. It allows me to keep contact, touch base and when possible or necessary, call.

Archived