SASS Wire Forum

41 years ago yesterday.

Dustin Checotah

This is where I was 41 years ago yesterday. I was on CMO watch down in the engine room when the helicopters took off for Iran. CMO is Chief Machinery Operator, a supervisory watch for the engine room. The engine room had two 70,000 horsepower steam turbines, two 8 megawatt turbine generators, two distilling units and assorted air compressors pumps, piping, and safety equipment to run the engine room.

May be an image of aircraft and text that says 'RAID OPERATION EAGLE CLAW 1980 The disastrous bid to end the Iran hostage crisis த JUSTIN W.WILLIAMSON'

I was young then but I do remember President Jimmy Carter Going on TV and telling us the failure was his fault.  I think it is the only time I recall a President taking the blame for anything.   

My parents were not fond of his presidency but I was always impressed with his honesty.  I was glad myself when Reagan took over.  

31 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

I was young then but I do remember President Jimmy Carter Going on TV and telling us the failure was his fault.  I think it is the only time I recall a President taking the blame for anything.   

My parents were not fond of his presidency but I was always impressed with his honesty.  I was glad myself when Reagan took over.  

I too was not fond of his Presidency, but I do believe he was and is an upright and honorable person. And I also was glad that Reagan got in.

49 minutes ago, Dustin Checotah said:

I too was not fond of his Presidency, but I do believe he was and is an upright and honorable person. And I also was glad that Reagan got in.

Upright and honorable do not translate to competent and effective.

I was happy to see Ken Taylor help get some of the fugitive diplomats out of Iran after hiding them for a couple of months.

22 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Upright and honorable do not translate to competent and effective.

Forty Rod. I hear you on that. I was just a young dummy back then but I thought he botched up a lot of things.

i was not young - i recall well , ill reserve comments to saying he did it even if it was a disaster and it needed doing , ill never be a fan , the whole term was a disaster for us , but yes , i think him an honorable man , wonder how many might say that of some other presidents ? i try to be fair 

I wasn't overly fond  of the peanut farmer either. One of the first presidential elections I chose to participate in. After that one, I made sure to exercise my right to vote every time. May have won a few, lost many, but at least I did my civic duty:FlagAm::blush:

It didn’t help that a couple of the choppers sat on the fantails of Destroyers for a couple of months without maintenance while everyone waited for Carter to give the go ahead.

But, had he acted sooner and things went well I wouldn’t have gotten to cruise the Indian Ocean and the Persian Gulf for 5 months. I got my 2 beers after 120 days, had a great tan and became a Shellback. So I had that going for me... ;)

Archived