SASS Wire Forum

.45 LC BP Load data for use in Kirst converter

scot_th_rock

Hello all....I have an Pietta 1858 Remington .44 with the Kisrt .45 LC conversion cylinder installed. Everything I have researched said I can use BP or smokeless rounds providing I keep things below 1000fps. 

I picked up Goex 3F but all the load data on the Goex web sight is for a 247gn lead bullet with 42 grns FF or a 255gn lead bullet with 40 grns FF.

I purchased 180gn lead bullets and have a case of the Goex 3F.............................so....................can I load for this or do I have to scrap everything and get different powder and bullets?

One other question, when filling the air space in the case, do I insert a wad then lizard litter or can a single wad do the trick? Why do you need to fill the void anyway? I've reloaded for various calibers with modern smokeless firearms so the BP game is new to me and am actively looking to avoid blowing something up......like my firearm and more importantly my fingers.

Thanks!

Thanks for that Barney....I fully intend to load BP cartridges per recommendations of filling the air space. I am curious as to the why. If you say 'It's really bad', well, that's good enough but I am curious as to the physics behind it.

Any input on the powder and bullet weight question I have by any chance?

A quick Google finds this. 

"No one knows exactly why, but leaving air space between a powder charge and an unseated projectile can cause a bulge in the barrel, and, in some cases, a rupture. ... Always make sure the bullet is firmly seated on the powder charge."

6 hours ago, scot_th_rock said:

I am curious as to the why. If you say 'It's really bad', well, that's good enough but I am curious as to the physics behind it.

An old man told me once that with the cartridges, and loading we use for said cartridges, an air space isn't gonna do any anything other than give inconsistent ignition. Meaning, Boom Boom poof Boom pfft.  It is said that is original train of thought comes from muzzleloaders that use higher powder charges.  This could have been the case with regards to the metallurgy from that time.  Be interesting to see a test with modern metal barrel on a muzzleloader.

Personally, I fill my 45lc case to the rim with BOOM and sit a 250g boolit.

Lizard litter, corn meal, backer rod are three things people have told me they use as filler.  It's not recommended to use loobed wads, as the loob would get squished out while seating the boolit thus ruining the powder charge.

Alternatively, there is always the ability for 45 Cowboy Special brass for reduced loadings for 45 Colt.

You want lighter loads, use 45 Schofield cases or Cowboy Special cases.

my standard load is 20 grains 2 F and a bit of ground corncob + a 200 grain bullet in a schofield case.

The corncob allows me to see how much powder is in the case and insures that the amount of powder is where I expect it to be.

—Dawg

42 grains of FFFG under a 255 gr slug is going to make for a real snappy load.  Your wrists are not going to be happy after a few rounds, especially shooting duelist.  Don't ask me how I know.

My modern 45 Colt cases hold around 35 grs of FFG to have a smidgen of compression for my normal loads.  For my gamer loads, I run 25 grs of FFG under a Barnstormer 130 gr and fill the case with Cream of Wheat until there is a bit of compression. YMMV

you can also fill that case up with lead to reduce the amount of BP.   Going on memory and Schofield case, I think you only need about 25 or so grains of BP if you seat your bullet deep down into the case.  Rules state that you can not seat the bullet flush with case so leave it just a little bit proud.   You might also want to seat the bullet in back words and crimp in the bottom grease grove.  40 grains and 250 bullet is not a wimpy load...

When I shoot BP (Goex FFg) in .45 Colt cases, I drop 22 grains of Black, then enough ground activated charcoal on top of that to be able to get a little compression when I seat a 200 grain bullet.  Even a 170 grain bullet is plenty.  Use one that has large lube grooves and fill those grooves with a good BP compatible bullet lube.  Most bullet lubes are NOT very suitable for use with true BP.  If you don't want to hunt all that down, order pre-lubed black powder slugs from Springfield Slim

http://hstrial-mwhyte2.homestead.com/

or Desperado Bullets.

http://www.cowboybullets.com/

Why the activated charcoal?  It never packs into a tight wad like cereals (grits, cream of wheat, etc) even whn stored for 5 years.  It's a component of BP already (charcoal is the carbon component of BP),  It has no chance of having sand in it like some lizard litter does (lizards don't care if there is a little dirt in their litter tray).  And you can buy it on internet or large pool supply because it is a water filter part.

But it IS much easier to shoot shortened 45 Colt cases, known as Cowboy 45 Special, that Starline produces.   Just drop in about 20 grains of BP there, and stick on your slug.  That case was designed for shooting steel targets.  Whereas the .45 Colt case was designed to shoot horses out from under the Army's opponents in the 1870s.

good luck, GJ

Archived