SASS Wire Forum

The Dog Ate The Cowboy

Yul Lose

Mrs. Lose came out to the shop this morning and told me to come in and watch a show about Cowboy Action Shooting that was on CBS 48 Hours last night.  Turns out  the victim and shooter were both CAS participants. Wonder  if there will be an increase in interest from this type of exposure?

O Swell... now Cowboy Shooters are depicted as trailer-living* murderers...?   :huh:  :(

*Not a thing wrong with "trailer-living"

The news is weird. There are several articles about this killing. Not just about the TV show that's going to be on, but the killing itself, which happened in I believe 2014. Several years back anyway.

We have the man and his wife and their daughter. The wife is a barrel racer, and coming back from a competition the road collapses and kills her. He gets a large amount of money from an insurance settlement.

He marries the other woman. Nowhere in the article is there any other mention of the daughter. Was she killed with Mama in the car wreck? Did she live with Daddy and his new wife? What happened to her? Nothing.

They explained that in cowboy shooting you shoot at still targets. :P Oookaaaayyy.

I did wonder about the shooting him ten times with a five shot pistol and claiming self defense.

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

O Swell... now Cowboy Shooters are depicted as trailer-living* murderers...?   :huh:  :(

*Not a thing wrong with "trailer-living"

She was livin in a trailer sleepin on the couch and she got convicted. No misses but an obvious MDQ.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

The news is weird. There are several articles about this killing. Not just about the TV show that's going to be on, but the killing itself, which happened in I believe 2014. Several years back anyway.

We have the man and his wife and their daughter. The wife is a barrel racer, and coming back from a competition the road collapses and kills her. He gets a large amount of money from an insurance settlement.

He marries the other woman. Nowhere in the article is there any other mention of the daughter. Was she killed with Mama in the car wreck? Did she live with Daddy and his new wife? What happened to her? Nothing.

They explained that in cowboy shooting you shoot at still targets. :P Oookaaaayyy.

I did wonder about the shooting him ten times with a five shot pistol and claiming self defense.

They show the daughter quite a bit on the broadcast. Wonder if any Match Directors will be adding a 5 round pistol reload to their stage writing?

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

She was livin in a trailer sleepin on the couch and she got convicted. No misses but an obvious MDQ.

I don't know about MDQ, but definitely an SDQ. She used a Charter Undercover. Double action revolver = illegal gun = stage DQ.

Watched it last night. She said she shot him 5 times but he was still sitting up looking like he was about to lunge at her. She ran to the other room, got 5 more rounds, reloaded and shot 5 more.

They had talked about her being pretty competitive at her club. They also claimed that this is where she learned to shoot 5, reload and shoot 5 more. I guess they didn't figure out that cowboy action uses two revolvers. They mentioned she used low powered cowboy loads. Guess that explains the 10 shots.

Very sad for the victims family and friends.

I just watched the show on the CBS site on the computer.  Lots of cowboy action shooting scenes.  She shot the guy five times, reloaded and shot him five more times in the head.  Low powered cowboy loads so all ten slugs stayed in the body.  The reporter attributed her ability to reload to skills she learned in cowboy shooting.  I don't think the show will be a recruiting tool.  Most people watching the show will probably think we are a bunch of loons.

2 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Most people watching the show will probably think we are a bunch of loons

Most people that get their information from television I think that anyone that shoots a gun is a loon anyway.

13 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I just watched the show on the CBS site on the computer.  Lots of cowboy action shooting scenes.  She shot the guy five times, reloaded and shot him five more times in the head.  Low powered cowboy loads so all ten slugs stayed in the body.  The reporter attributed her ability to reload to skills she learned in cowboy shooting.  I don't think the show will be a recruiting tool.  Most people watching the show will probably think we are a bunch of loons.

My thoughts, exactly.

21 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Most people that get their information from television I think that anyone that shoots a gun is a loon anyway.

Yep the days when I was in high school and had a rifle or shotgun in the rack of my pickup parked in the school parking lot and no one batting an eye are long gone.

I watch a lot of these shows like 48 hours, dateline and they do these reports on murders with unusual or surprising findings. I went into the other room and came back and saw cowboy action shooting on tv. Nice video of matches and I thought, great, and I had no idea that it was going to be on. Then as they went on it turned out to be another of those stories. 

6 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Mrs. Lose came out to the shop this morning and told me to come in and watch a show about Cowboy Action Shooting that was on CBS 48 Hours last night.  Turns out  the victim and shooter were both CAS participants. Wonder  if there will be an increase in interest from this type of exposure?

I was wondering what CBS had in mind by rehashing this 2014 homicide?

Unless it is to flame the gun control  convo!

Just now, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I was wondering what CBS had in mind by rehashing this 2014 homicide?

Unless it is to flame the gun control  convo!

Uh, the show was just produced and shown for the first time.

5 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Uh, the show was just produced and shown for the first time.

It is still curious that a 2014 event is produced at this particular time.

A very convenient coincidence for the gun control people.

Duffield

My gal pal, who writes for Liberty Nation saw this...and of course SASS caught her ear, as she knows we are avid promoters of our sport.

She texted this morning...and had not finished the program, so she was thinking this was a recent event.

I told her we were actually just packing up from Land Run...where there were no murders, deaths or maiming incedents.

14 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

They show the daughter quite a bit on the broadcast. Wonder if any Match Directors will be adding a 5 round pistol reload to their stage writing?

Just don't mention on the clock reloads over on the WIRE.

Many moons ago, on the clock reloads were normal.  Nowadays, people freak out at their mere mention.

Why is this being broadcast now; a murder that took place in 2014; seven years ago, which casts a dark shadow on Cowboy Action Shooting as well?

Hmm, let me think; CAS has been one of the very few shooting sports that has not really been touched by the anti's rhetoric. It doesn't use any black plastic and the firearms used are not typically involved in current day violent crime.  Probably looked like a great opportunity by CBS to now go after CAS as well and also back track/'atone' for their positive review of the game back in 2008;

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/grown-up-professionals-play-cowboys/

3 minutes ago, Sacramento Johnson #6873 said:

Why is this being broadcast now; a murder that took place in 2014; seven years ago, which casts a dark shadow on Cowboy Action Shooting as well?

Hmm, let me think; CAS has been one of the very few shooting sports that has not really been touched by the anti's rhetoric. It doesn't use any black plastic and the firearms used are not typically involved in current day violent crime.  Probably looked like a great opportunity by CBS to now go after CAS as well and also back track/'atone' for their positive review of the game back in 2008;

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/grown-up-professionals-play-cowboys/

I have to follow that path of thinking as well.:huh:

CAS has been featured before on tv mystery shows. Bones and Castle both had episodes involving murders at shoots. They didn’t really reflect the sport in a bad way. Didn’t get all the details right of course but tv never does.

As far as timing and gun control, the few times I have tuned into 48 Hours in the past couple of years it has always been about a murder by gun.  I think it’s basically a crap show aimed at titillating viewers with gruesome details of real life murders.

Trying to use logic as to why people  in the media do or say things can be quite frustrating. 

Trying to educate them on pretty much anything they are against or have an agenda with reminds me of a quote by Robert Heinlein:

"Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig." ― Robert Heinlein

I sometimes watch 48 hours. It is not uncommon for a show to be about an event that was resolved many years ago.

I also worry about the dog. My theory is that it attacked her while she was killing her husband or ex-husband and she killed it. Then, she buried the dog.

After hearing that she blocked her step-daughter's calls, I didn't trust Dani. That and hearing she turned up a few months after he got the life insurance settlement for his first wife's death.

3 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I guess the only question through this whole story is...

Where is the dog?

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There are countries such as Spain where it's illegal for civilians to use human silhouette targets or do any sort of action or combat-style shooting. Slow fire at bullseye targets only. It's only a matter of time before the anti-gunners here start making the claim that action shooting breeds trained killers.

12 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

There are countries such as Spain where it's illegal for civilians to use human silhouette targets or do any sort of action or combat-style shooting. Slow fire at bullseye targets only. It's only a matter of time before the anti-gunners here start making the claim that action shooting breeds trained killers.

... it's already been done .... :(

so again - it was the person that did the killing - not the gun , those SASS guns dont just up and do anything without a person ....specially reload themselves 

Archived