SASS Wire Forum

Anyone going to watch the Oscars?  The last several years I have recorded the show but only watched the "In Memorium" segment.  Got tired of the endless best short documentary by a three toed Estonian categories that no one has even seen and where 40 people come to the stage and give political speeches.

3 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

No. I stopped watching them years ago. 

So did I.  I do, however get a list of the award winners so I know what I'm not going to waste my time and money on.  There are exceptions, but very few.

Haven't watched in about a decade - Hollywood decided to honor and nominate and make a lot of movies no one watches or wants to watch at the box office. Haven't seen a single best picture winning movie in the almost a decade - saw "The King's Speech". Before that I saw, "No Country for Old Men" and "Lord of the Rings - Return of the King". 

Hollywood is now totally political and out of touch with the common people. People are even starting to stop to watching TV shows due to them becoming overly political and PC. That information I glean from friends and what limited social media I do on internet. I don't watch TV or Netflix or Hulu or any of the other streaming services. 

I buy DVD's of classics or the occassional good movie or older TV series. Other than that ain't much I really want to watch. It's all so predictably "diverse", "PC", "political", and boringly so.

Always loved comedy as it was irreverent and funny and poked fun at all sides. Now I quit watching most as it's all political and social justice tirades, which is what the Oscars are now with a big helping of ugly virtue signaling.

Last movie I saw in a theater was The Princess Bride the week it was released.  Incidentally, I checked it out of our local library just a few days ago.  It's worth watching every decade or so.  

I hate theaters, but will go to see a live show occasionally.  I was even a docent at The Elks Opera House Theater in Prescott for four years before the bug shut it all down.  I have seen a number of live concerts of one kind or another, too.

I just don't find most movies watchable these days, and most theaters are loud, cold, dirty, rude environments that are not conducive to the calmness of my life.

Haven't been in a theater in many moons. If I  want to see a film that interests me, I'll pick up the DVD..............maybe. Last two I bought came out in theaters in '92 and '06. Basically Rom-coms. Have a couple more on my wish list if the price is right:rolleyes::blush:

They’re predicting very low tv ratings due to the fact that hardly anyone has seen the movies. Maybe next year they won’t televise it at all. I’m tempted to watch just to see how blatantly political it will be. But I’ll resist the temptation.

I watched “Hostiles” on the big screen when it came out.  The gunfire from Dolby speakers was very real.

We watched “A Bug’s Life” on Disney Plus a few nights ago.  That’s the insect remake of The Magnificent Seven.  Worth the time, especially the “outtakes” during the credits!  :lol:

Oscars?  Meh.

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I watched “Hostiles” on the big screen when it came out.  The gunfire from Dolby speakers was very real.

We watched “A Bug’s Life” on Disney Plus a few nights ago.  That’s the insect remake of The Magnificent Seven.  Worth the time, especially the “outtakes” during the credits!  :lol:

Oscars?  Meh.

That’s my main memory of “Hostiles” too, J-Bar.  Sounded just like real black powder loads going off. 

Seamus

Considering my wife and I haven't been to a movie in over a year, I wouldn't even know who is nominated.  Might watch a few minutes of it.  Wife would rather see who gets "Chopped" on the Food Channel.  Last winner I remember was that guy who wore the eyepatch in his starring role, and hollered, "Fill yore hand, you son-of-a-b...h!" 

3 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

...................... Oscar who ?

Oscar the Grouch.

Only Oscar worth while in my book.

No.

I watch very little TV and see even less movies.

Last 2 times I was in the theater several years ago was to watch Jane Got A Gun and The Revelant.

Every year for Christmas I get the latest season of Yellowstone on DVD....... I just got done watching that a couple weeks ago.

I sure don't need any recommendations from Hollywood pukes as to what I should watch next.

:ph34r:  Online poll this morning gave choices of Yes; Maybe; No, to the question of "Are you going to watch the Academy Awards?"

Since there was no box marked "Hell, NO!" I just marked "no".  Results at that time (mid-morning) showed 2% yes; 16% maybe; 82% no.

However, I think the self-absorbed darlings of the silver screen are incapable of understanding the message.

I watched it to see how the virtual set up was going to work and as soon as I saw that I clicked on the DVD for The High Chaparral.

The last episode I watched was the Marlon Brando/Indian Princess one.  That was enough for as lifetime.

13 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

I could watch an oscar mayer hot dog cookin on the grill....

Best

CR

I'm stealin this!!:lol:

As a kid, I grew up on Westerns and horror films. The 3 Stooges often had shorts to go with them. In the summer, the local theater would let us in with bottle caps from milk bottles produced by the local dairy. Double features were common and we had a great time. I could spend 5 cents for a Slow Poke sucker that would last until the movie got over. Stars were pretty darn good and no one offended audiences by spewing political crap. I still like to see some movies that are enhanced by viewing on their huge screens, but there are only a select few that are worth it now. Last night we watched How the West Was Won and were happy as pigs in mud.

So - I  have a couple questions for the forum....

What new movies came out during the height of a global pandemic that would be considered for an award?

How did these denizens of American society produce a movie while following stay at home orders, mask mandates, and social distancing?

Asking for a friend.

Archived