SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy guns only??

Rye Miles #13621

I was just wondering if anyone has just a collection of SAA's and rifles and shotguns for CAS only. I've thought about getting rid of all my modern guns, which are hardly ever shot, and just keep my "Cowboy collection" and maybe add to it from selling off my modern guns. Of course I would keep a modern carry revolver like my S&W 442. I do not feel underarmed for home defense with any of my cowboy guns.

Anyone else thought of this or is it just me?:o

2 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Sure....

As long as the bad guys promise to attack one-by-one, and not to use any semi-autos.....

LL

Well, there's always our lever actions which can be shot almost as fast as semi auto's and they hold 10 rounds or more. I doubt you'll be attacked by more than 2 bad guys maybe three and will they all have guns and know how to use them?

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Well, there's always our lever actions which can be shot almost as fast as semi auto's and they hold 10 rounds or more. I doubt you'll be attacked by more than 2 bad guys maybe three and will they all have guns and know how to use them?

Why take the chance?  

I've never been too lucky trying to guess how bad the other guy can be....

LL

10 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Sure....

As long as the bad guys promise to attack one-by-one, and not to use any semi-autos.....

LL

So what do you have that's so much better for home defense? AR15 with 30 rounds?? 

Kinda like Rio Bravo meets Wild Bunch.

5 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

So what do you have that's so much better for home defense? AR15 with 30 rounds?? 

Yes, as well as a Mossberg 930 and some other semi-auto guns. Infinitely better for HD or EDC than cowboy guns. Not only faster, but more potent cartridges.

Five 125 grain lead 38 special cartridges, or nine 230 grain Federal Hydro-Shok .45?

Ten .38s, or 30 .556, plus 300 more rounds in ten mags that can be switched out quickly?

If you use a cowboy gun to defend yourself you better hope it’s a backup because it will likely land in an evidence locker for a very long time.

5 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Yes, as well as a Mossberg 930 and some other semi-auto guns. Infinitely better for HD or EDC than cowboy guns. Not only faster, but more potent cartridges.

Five 125 grain lead 38 special cartridges, or nine 230 grain Federal Hydro-Shok .45?

Ten .38s, or 30 .556, plus 300 more rounds in ten mags that can be switched out quickly?

If you use a cowboy gun to defend yourself you better hope it’s a backup because it will likely land in an evidence locker for a very long time.

I have plenty of backups for my cowboy guns. Don’t get me wrong I have modern guns for home defense including an AR 15.

1 minute ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

It took me over a year to get my Mossberg back, of course I had plenty of other options during that time.

It took me well over a year to get the Boston  Police to return my Para Slim Hawg, and even then the case, ammo and spare magazine were all missing.  And I didn't even shoot anybody!

LL

Naw... I'll take a properly set up 870 over a coach gun for HD anyday.

1 minute ago, Dantankerous said:

Naw... I'll take a properly set up 870 over a coach gun for HD anyday.

What about a 97 that you can slam fire??:P

58 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

It took me well over a year to get the Boston  Police to return my Para Slim Hawg, and even then the case, ammo and spare magazine were all missing.  And I didn't even shoot anybody!

LL

I didn’t either! Just two of his tires!

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Well, my Henry holds 17 .44 Russian rounds. Not a lot of whollop, but puts out an impenetrable smoke screen for escape.

Hi all!

Many things go into home self defense beside firearm choice; situational awareness/planning, terrain around house, nature of home type and building material,  number of occupants in home and their age/location, etc in addition to skill with one's chosen firearms. 

Not everyone shoots watered down 38s in slicked up single actions for CAS and I can see some being more proficient with some well placed stock single actions  and lever actions loaded with factory self defense ammo, than with more modern types of firearms.

In the Wild bunch movie they also used single actions and Winchester’s not just 45 auto and pump guns. I would take my Browning Auto-5 with Buck Special barrel over any pump

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I was just wondering if anyone has just a collection of SAA's and rifles and shotguns for CAS only. I've though about getting rid of all my modern guns, which are hardly ever shoot, and just keep my "Cowboy collection" and maybe add to it from selling off my modern guns. Of course I would keep a modern carry revolver like my S&W 442. I do not feel underarmed for home defense with any of my cowboy guns.

Anyone else thought of this or is it just me?:o

I like you, have decided to lighten the load of the firearms I no longer use.  I quit hunting or killing anything these days.  

I have a former student who owns a pawn shop and have taken thirty plus over to him so far.  I have a long list of more that needs to go.  None of my cowboy guns are on that list.

If I needed a "combat shotgun," I think I'd choose my reproduction M97 Trenchgun over my 870 with a short barrel.   For one thing, maybe seeing the bayonet on the end of it would scare the badguys.   But seriously, I would gave an edge to the 97.

Given how fast and accurate I have seen some parts go with SASS type main match rifles and pistols, and how well I've gotten to use them in general, I'd never feel "underarmed" using said guns in an emergency type situation.   But, if I really had to grab something knowing I'd be going into combat in advance, I'd take my Tommygun over my Lightning, my 1911 over my Peacemaker and my M1, or maybe my M1A over an 86 Winchester.

I've always had an ecclectic collection of stuff from old to modern.   See no reason to go any different.

7 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

LL

Yeah, but you live in Massachusetts. 

5 hours ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

I like you, have decided to lighten the load of the firearms I no longer use.  I quit hunting or killing anything these days.  

I have a former student who owns a pawn shop and have taken thirty plus over to him so far.  I have a long list of more that needs to go.  None of my cowboy guns are on that list.

Just to be clear I haven’t decided yet! I still love the small collection of “modern” guns I have but I’m thinking about whether it’s worth keeping them if I don’t shoot them. Still thinking about it.<_<

I think there are some basics that I need for a variety of reasons.  

A .22 rifle

A .22 pistol

A 12 gauge pump

A 12 gauge semi-auto

A semi-auto sidearm, (1911 for me)

A semi-auto long gun suitable for SD (AR for me)

A rifle of heavy enough caliber for anything you might encounter where you live. (Winchester Model 70 in 300 Win Mag for me)

I am often times conflicted by this ! Being a combat vet and a former LE capacity I have seen things I wish I could forget which conflicts things for me. An AR holds nothing but bad memories yet there is nothing I’d rather have if things go sideways! I look at the modern firearms and think I could have a few more SAA’s if I sold them. Then I think 

it would be wrong for me not to have the best tools available if I or my family should need them.

When I started shooting CAS an LE buddy said to me “what the hell are you thinking? You ARE a gunfighter quit playing one. Every hour you spend playing with your cowboy guns is time away from maintaining  critical skills with real world arms”

I own 1911’s, Glocks, j frames and state of the art AR’s and as most of you know I Never met an SAA or USFA I didn’t want  to take home . Find your middle ground!

I'll always keep a few hunting and long range, that aren't sass approved but other than that very rarely is there a semi auto at the house.   My 3 gun firearms are stored at the shop as are the ones with the fun switch.  

If somebody breaks into your house and you empty a 30 round mag there is no way you will ever win that lawsuit.   Any time i see somebody write crap like " I have 50 mags and a 45 because they don't make a 46, " i just shake my head.   If you ever use a gun to defend yourself good luck keeping those posts out of the trial. You will paint yourself as somebody looking for an excuse to use it.   I keep the tools that is necessary to defend my family. As I don't live in a war zone I don't live like I do.   What those tools are is nobody's business.   

Can I run the guns? Yes. Ive spent thousands of hrs training with them.  That's the real key. Training,   you can have the baddest toys but if you don't train with them, they are no better than a club.   Not just the basics like situational awareness or how to mag change,  but dynamics,  entry, escape,  force multipliers,  defenses.  limited mobility exercises. Malfunction manipulation,  Improvised medical aid. Knowing when and where to go from a long gun to  side arm.   If you only have one or two places in your house with an ammo storage for your main defense gun you need to rethink your strategy. Also you need to have a hard rule of where that line of no return for use of deadly force exists. As well as your lawyers number because the minute after you call the police you need to call him before anyone asks any questions.  Then shut up until he is by your side.  Seriously. Do not say a word. Other than you want a lawyer present for any and all questions.

A very long winded way of saying,  most my guns are sass approved but not all

As an odd aside to this, yes, I do have "modern" guns, but I tend to prefer "Classic" versions of them.

Since I would not do it to my real WWI issue 1911, when Colt came out with the reproduction 1911's that recreated the originals down to the UNITED STATES PROPERTY stamped on the frames, I got one of those and put an ambi safety on it, but one that looks like the original, no extensions or anything.

When I got my AR, I got an early one with that doesn't even have a forward assist.   [THOSE are C and R now, by the way]

So even my "new" stuff is "old fashioned."

Evil,

You seem to be VERY fixated on lawyers, and what they may "claim" about your behavior, based upon which particular make & model gun you might have use to defend your life or the lives of your family.  Why such paranoia?

In contrast, I notice that one of your interests listed is "muscle cars".  Are you worried about what a lawyer might claim about your behavior should you become involved in a car crash?  Are you out driving around risking the safety of other drivers, passengers or pedestrians, just because you drive a high-horsepower car?

It's not the gun or the car. It's under what circumstances you were operating the gun or the car.  The fear that many gun owners feel about "evil" type guns in court, is way overblown and should not influence which tool you choose to protect yourself.  Same goes for "deadlier" style ammo like hollow-points -vs- non-expanding slugs. With over twenty years in law enforcement, I can't remember a single prosecutor ever using the model of the gun as an "element" of the crime.

P.S. - Your points about training are spot on!

I use the right tools for the right job. Being an electrician, I carry and use "Kleins", needle nose pliers, flat head screwdriver, phillips head screwdriver, pencil, Sharpie and razor knife in my electrician's pouch. This isn't the 1890's and criminals aren't carrying SAA's, leverguns and double barrel shotguns....neither am I.

If you shoot someone or use a gun YOU'VE got troubles, it doesn't matter who you are or where your live. The best thing you can do when conversations move in this direction is to just keep quiet about what you have, where you have it and what you are going to do. This stuff Never goes away!  

21 hours ago, Dusty Morningwood said:

Well, my Henry holds 17 .44 Russian rounds. Not a lot of whollop, but puts out an impenetrable smoke screen for escape.

Not to derail this thread, but how did you get a Henry in 44 Russian?

11 minutes ago, July Smith said:

Not to derail this thread, but how did you get a Henry in 44 Russian?

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/lever-action-rifle-magazine-capcity-and-shorter-ammo.831927/

23 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

An AK with 75...

Archived