SASS Wire Forum

There is apparently no terminal pointWhere Microsoft

The guy that "built" my laptop (it was a used one he cleaned and deleted all the garbage I never use) told me he NEVER let Microsoft update his computers, all it did was screw stuff up. I took his advice and set it so it didn't update. Seems to have worked OK for years now.

JHC

Get a mac :)  love my Apple stuff...hate paying for it but man it just works.  

my work PC is windows and if I didn’t have a full IT global support team working on it 24/7 I’d be hurting.

For a computer semi-literate like me, my I-Mac is great! I love Apple products!

You cannot stop Windows 10 from updating, short of disconnecting (forever) from the internet.
The best you can do is set the update delay out a few months.
This is always advisable when a new release of Win10 is pending.
Let somebody else be the guinea pig.

I was an engineer at IBM when we released the IBM PC, so I've been in it since inception.
My primary workstation remains at Win7 Pro, because I dislike immensely the nanny and intrusion of Win10.
However, Quickbooks, Turbo Tax, et al, refuse to launch on Win7 or older, so I keep Win10 in a virtual machine for doing this.

I remove all the bloat from Win10 for my business clients.
There is no place for Xbox or Candy Crush on business machines.
This frees a profound amount of computer cycles otherwise wasted on this bloat.

Cui bono... bloat is paid for by vendors pushing their products.
Commercial systems are loaded with both Microsoft and vendor bloat.
Removing bloat on Win10 breaks things, so one has to tread carefully.

The success of the Apple system comes from it being an entirely closed system.
There are no outside hardware drivers or 3rd party stuff in the Apple operating system.
Users are jail-breaking Apple systems to get around this closed-environment limitation.

11 hours ago, JD Lud said:

Get a mac :)  love my Apple stuff...hate paying for it but man it just works.  

my work PC is windows and if I didn’t have a full IT global support team working on it 24/7 I’d be hurting.

That's my answer, too.  It solved a heap of aggravation for me.

Running my second used I-Mac( first one fried the mother board). Am pretty happy with it, it's somewhat aged and I can't up grade any further than the OS I'm on because of the guts. Would love to be able to get a new one, but prices aren't conducive to me being able to do it.:blush:

6 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I bought a used MacBook Pro 10 years ago.  Absolutely nothing could get me back to a Microsoft PC.

I am coming to that point too. I had a Mac but it went obsolete so I thought I would save a few bucks and get the PC. Dumb move Charlie. 

My first purchased machine was the IBM PC on the employee discount plan when it first came out in the 80s...

The only other one I ever bought was a Dell 6400 laptop... ran like a top for years.. then gave it to #4, she stepped on it and destroyed it.
I took out the memory and SSD and threw the rest out.  A sad day.

Otherwise, I roll my own.
I have absolutely no interest in store-bought computers other than freebies I get from customers that I fix up.

Archived