SASS Wire Forum

First time to the lumber store in a few months

Ace_of_Hearts

2 X 4 Doug Fir common stud = 7.60

2 X 4 select Doug fir = 9.60

That's a minimum of 5 fold increase!

Nationwide average is triple price from a year ago. Some items more, some less. Some locations more, some less.

Supply chain whiplash. Covid reduced production, and expectations were for reduced demand. Well, demand surged. Production is back up but the supply chain is virtually empty. So price moves to compensate.

If you can put your project off for a couple months, it will likely be less expensive then.

So many restaurants hastily built open air additions in order to circumvent distancing and indoor capacity restrictions, that the already diminished lumber supply, (a result of the industry’s loss of labor due to Covid and Covid restrictions) was practically wiped out.  Local big box outlets and lumber yards seem to be beginning to recover, but supplies are still limited and recovery is slow.

Lumber wholesaler down the road from us has no shortage of lumber. Yard is full with more arriving by the train load on a regular basis. Stores have plenty of inventory on hand.

Me thinks this is a manufactured shortage to take advantage of the building boom. Kinda like the fictitious toilet paper shortage.

7/16 OSB is $50.00 now sheet. :( 3 weeks ago it was $30.00 a sheet.

I got the last 3 1x4s at my local Ace this week. $5 each for 8' board. YIKES!

My son has now put off building a home on his place, for the foreseeable future, until the prices, hopefully, get more realistic.

He said he would live in a tent first, than pay that price. I am hoping he gets a good quality tent, for this looks to be with us for a spell.  

Time will tell. 

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Lumber wholesaler down the road from us has no shortage of lumber. Yard is full with more arriving by the train load on a regular basis. Stores have plenty of inventory on hand.

Me thinks this is a manufactured shortage to take advantage of the building boom. Kinda like the fictitious toilet paper shortage.

7/16 OSB is $50.00 now sheet. :( 3 weeks ago it was $30.00 a sheet.

I have a bunk of OSB in my shop, paid $6.80 a sheet 1-1/2 years ago. Now it's $52 a sheet at our local Lowe's store.

yes , and suppliers are "allocating" to their preferred customers based on last years consumption as well as limiting the product lines to those that turned the most profit last year , they may reintroduce the lines they have put on hold depending on how things go this year , 

its bad when you can build with treated lumber cheaper than framing lumber but i know of at least one instance of that being the case , 

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

I have a big stock of Baltic Birch 5x5 in both 12 and 19mm..
I can only imagine how pricey that has gotten since when I bought it years ago.

I looked at Baltic birch 5x5 from online suppliers and the prices did not look unreasonable.  Don’t look at Etsy’s prices.

I keep thinking house prices can’t keep rising...but input costs are crazy.  Not sure if high house prices are causing the increase, or input increases due to shortages/constraints are maintaining the high house prices.

heard electrical components are very high as well.  I also know one person who was supposed to be moving into new house already and it’s still just a basement as they couldn’t even get lumber.

6 hours ago, bgavin said:

I have a big stock of Baltic Birch 5x5 in both 12 and 19mm..
I can only imagine how pricey that has gotten since when I bought it years ago.

$90 a sheet  but it made 6 gun tables   well worth it 

That is why we have given up on moving to Prescott...
I don't want to be age 70 starting a new $300k mortgage, and higher property taxes than what I already pay.
This is a real bummer for us... but is the reality of it.

Buddy in Cedar Rapids area runs a Mom and Pop sawmill.  They saw out a wide variety of special products like decking for trailers,  heavy blocking and speciality hardwood lumber.   Now he's getting calls to saw dimension construction lumber.  He said sheetrock is through the roof high. 

Now we'll have to worry about coming home and finding it missing.  :wacko:

In the county I live we had 3 dams let loose last summer and destroy allot of homes. Construction labor and materials have been skyrocketing ever since . Many home builders won’t even give a firm price because materials are rising so fast 

Archived