SASS Wire Forum

Flagpoles

Utah Bob #35998

Looking for a good 20-25 footer. Not the collapsible type. I was thinking about re-using my old one but it’s steel and just to heavy to maneuver on my own so I need an aluminum one. Any recommendations?

28 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Um...

Why not ask some of the younger guys from the VFW or maybe Boy Scouts to give you a hand?  

Younger guys from the VFW?? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

35 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Younger guys from the VFW?? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well,  there might be some guys from the 1st Gulf War. 

Sad thing is,  I remember my Dad and his friends at his Post (7041) talking about "Those young guys from Viet Nam."   Now those "young guys" are the old timers. 

I also barely remember a few of the Doughboys at that Post talking about "The young guys from WWII."

I have had many poles installed in my career on various sites. Most were 30 to 70 footers, one piece and a bit to handle. The last one I did was for a non-profit that had limited funding. I used these folks and had great luck. Free shipping and the pole, even though sectional, looked great. Two of my guys had it complete in half a day. If memory serves me correctly, around $600 for a 25 footer. Something to look into...

https://www.federalflags.com/products/25-ft-commercial-grade-sectional-aluminum-flagpole?variant=30946990850103

Cheers!

Mine is white fibre glass/vinyl with inside cords and a locking access door to the cords.

Keeps the Finders/Keepers and those with light fingers disappointed.

Misc Pics 2013 June 002.JPG

Mine also has the rope inside. I like that. Less noise from rope beating on pole in the wind.  I fly ultralights so i use mine as a windsock. That means i fly cheaper flags because the heavy duty flags do not move in the lighter winds.

I have to buy good quality flags here, since I always seem to have a pretty good breeze.

Cheap flags I used to buy at Canadian Tire and fly at our old place would last a long time. Here, they can get blown out in a month or less.

We can't complain too much about the breeze/wind though, since we live directly adjacent the South Nation Wetlands area and the prevailing wind keeps the mosquitos in the bush and not in our back yard or around he deck. 

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Well,  there might be some guys from the 1st Gulf War. 

Sad thing is,  I remember my Dad and his friends at his Post (7041) talking about "Those young guys from Viet Nam."   Now those "young guys" are the old timers. 

I also barely remember a few of the Doughboys at that Post talking about "The young guys from WWII."

We cannot get the young guys to join. They think they can do their benefits and VA stuff easily on line. The reality is different.

27 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I have to buy good quality flags here, since I always seem to have a pretty good breeze.

Cheap flags I used to buy at Canadian Tire and fly at our old place would last a long time. Here, they can get blown out in a month or less.

We can't complain too much about the breeze/wind though, since we live directly adjacent the South Nation Wetlands area and the prevailing wind keeps the mosquitos in the bush and not in our back yard or around he deck. 

I use Annin TufTex heavy duty flags. They hold up well to the winds here.

1 hour ago, Derringer Dan said:

I have had many poles installed in my career on various sites. Most were 30 to 70 footers, one piece and a bit to handle. The last one I did was for a non-profit that had limited funding. I used these folks and had great luck. Free shipping and the pole, even though sectional, looked great. Two of my guys had it complete in half a day. If memory serves me correctly, around $600 for a 25 footer. Something to look into...

https://www.federalflags.com/products/25-ft-commercial-grade-sectional-aluminum-flagpole?variant=30946990850103

Cheers!

At 600 I’ll have to pass.

3 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I put a touch of clear Gorilla glue on each of the outside corners.  This keeps it from fraying and extends the life of the flag.  I have 4 flag poles in our yard (acreage) and they last a lot longer.

1 hour ago, Derringer Dan said:

Ya get what ya pay fer

I’m aware of the concept.

Archived