SASS Wire Forum

Not SASS, but we all use them. Tires

I've heard lots of rumors, not this one yet.

BUT, if oil prices keep rising tire prices will follow.

If tarrifs on imports rise, tire prices will rise.

Gee, I can't wait. Costs me $1600 for 4 tires for my little old Jeep. Pretty soon we'll all just buy new cars when the tires wear out. :D

Three years ago, I gave just over $400 for 4 tires for our Honda CR-V.  Two weeks ago I bought the exact same tire again from the same dealership.  Price was a nickle under $500.  

Had over $400 in the last set on the '16 Kia( 18" size). It's due again now, haven't been able to talk SWMBO to let me get them. If I go cheap, about $116 per tire at last check. The  '12 runs 15"ers, Last time we got them, $50 per tire. Haven't priced those yet.:(:blink::blush:

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

Gee, I can't wait. Costs me $1600 for 4 tires for my little old Jeep. Pretty soon we'll all just buy new cars when the tires wear out. :D

Think of it, a ton of nearly brand new cars all with worn out tires!

19 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Think of it, a ton of nearly brand new cars all with worn out tires!

The used cars will be cheaper than new tires. :D

Maybe I can finally get the Shelby Challenger Corvette I've always wanted. ;)

7 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I've heard lots of rumors, not this one yet.

BUT, if oil prices keep rising tire prices will follow.

If tarrifs on imports rise, tire prices will rise.

You joke, but there is more truth to that than you think.  I've gotten rid of two cars in part because the cost of the repair of an item plus needing new tires in the near future pushed the overall cost over the threshold into the "not worth the money" category.  

I put almost $1000 in to top of the line Michelin's* for my current car and I expect the tires to outlast the car.

*tires & CCW firearms are two areas where I generally don't try to save money at the expense of performance.

My Dad always said the only two things that had to work on a car were steering and brakes...

Texas Lizard said it rightly, and I agree with him entirely!

My wife's Pontiac needed its discs replaced.
Rear disc would not come off peacefully.
It came off otherwise.
The maniac -- I mean mechanic -- uncomfortably told me the rotor warped from the torch's heat ... he had to heat it to get it off the axle stub, he could turn it down to true if I wanted ...

I didn't hesitate.

"My wife's life is riding on those brakes," said I, "just replace it if you could, please."

He relaxed visibly: "You wouldn't believe how many people want to save a nickel by turning a warped rotor!"

4 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

It came off otherwise.
The maniac -- I mean mechanic -- uncomfortably told me the rotor warped from the torch's heat ... he had to heat it to get it off the axle stub, he could turn it down to true if I wanted ...

I didn't hesitate.

"My wife's life is riding on those brakes," said I, "just replace it if you could, please."

He relaxed visibly: "You wouldn't believe how many people want to save a nickel by turning a warped rotor!"

To be honest, it's to the point where the expense of replacing a rotor vs turning one is almost a wash.

There was a lack of driving last year, oil prices dropped.  Vehicle demand, fuel prices, labor costs have increased so parts will too.  Is it a material shortage or labor or importing or higher than forecasted demand?  I do expect prices to rise.

4 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

It came off otherwise.

I didn't hesitate.

I put approximately 160k miles on a used BMW Z3 that had 39k miles on it.  You had to replace the front disc's every other pad change & rear disc's with every pad change.  With OEM pads you replace the disc's with every pad change.  Also, if you waited until the pad wear warning light came on you'd have to replace the sensors.

Archived