SASS Wire Forum

Fading Away

Utah Bob #35998

So it goes. Time marches on. Better to get rid of things than leave it to relatives to try and figure out what to do with it.

Collection 2018.jpg

Collection 2021.jpg

Not a happy thought, but a prudent one. I struggle with it as well.

The way I look at it, if the kids aren’t going to use or enjoy what I leave behind, I’ll just turn it into money and enjoy it myself before I can’t!!

I still have time to play and I will. There’s time to figure out what the grandsons will want and keep/use and what my son can make use of.

They’ll get the house and the shop and whatever I decide not turn into enjoyment for me and Schoolmarm. The toys and vehicles will go to whichever one wants each one.

Am currently finishing off selling stuff I no longer use as my son died last summer. Have kept my CAS, WB, IDPA, Trap, and defensive stuff, everything else is gone. Finishing up selling my film camera collection. Stuff just sitting in closets and in safes no longer interests me. Amazing what people are willing to pay for things like watches. I timed it well as eBay is changing its payment policies in May to no longer accept PayPal, instead requiring payments to be direct deposited in your bank account. Just wait until the hacker community descends on them with a determined attack. Would not surprise me to see foreign governments get involved. Too bad as eBay was handy to get rid of stuff.  

50 minutes ago, Church Key, SASS # 33713 said:

Am currently finishing off selling stuff I no longer use as my son died last summer. Have kept my CAS, WB, IDPA, Trap, and defensive stuff, everything else is gone. Finishing up selling my film camera collection. Stuff just sitting in closets and in safes no longer interests me. Amazing what people are willing to pay for things like watches. I timed it well as eBay is changing its payment policies in May to no longer accept PayPal, instead requiring payments to be direct deposited in your bank account. Just wait until the hacker community descends on them with a determined attack. Would not surprise me to see foreign governments get involved. Too bad as eBay was handy to get rid of stuff.  

I have been using the new EBay system for a while with no problems. It takes a few days to show up in the account which isn’t good for people who are using EBay as business but it doesn’t bother me. I don’t think the bank system will be any easier to hack than PayPal. Probably harder in fact. The old system double whammies you with fees from both EBay and Paypal.

Like many of you, I have 'stuff'.   Guns, a real nice truck, new ATV, etc.....

I only have the wife, who don't give squat about my 'stuff'.  And we have

one daughter.  Her husband is a shooter and hunter.

Anyhow, I decided a couple years back that I was not gonna let age dictate what I do with my

'stuff'.    With past and present heart situation, I could live 18 days or 18 years longer.

I will keep my stuff, use my stuff, and have fun with my stuff.   And if I decide to sell or rid my

life of anything, it WILL NOT be dictated by my age or health.   

And because of my Faith in the 'here after',  I don't really worry about what my wife and 

daughter may or may not do with my 'stuff'.    

"That's all I got ta say about that".

..........Widder

Same boat as a lot of you.  One daughter and she could care less about my "prized" possessions.  Better to try and sell now and either go on vacation or leave the cash as most progeny would prefer that to a bunch of "junk."

With 5 kids, two great sons-in-law, and 12 grandkids, most of them now adults, I figure most of my stuff will find homes.

This also gives me a chance to say that we became great-grandparents yesterday, with the birth of a daughter to our second granddaughter and her husband. So I now have a daughter who is a grandma....a sobering thought, even at 73!

Got one son with no interest in guns, hunting or shooting.  The other is an all around outdoorsman.  Loves guns.  He had been buying off one or two guns from me each year.  The latest was my Marlin 1894 CBC in 45 Colt.  He'd been looking for a JM Marlin 45 Colt and none to be found.  I thought about it and decided to just sale mine to him. I've got enough cowboy guns now that can't get them all shot in a season. 

I'm not ready to liquidate but trying my best not to grow my collection by traiding one to get another. 

The one thing I won’t do is get rid of firearms. They are much easier to get rid of than the bulk of the collected items I have.

My main concern is to not saddle my surviving relatives, who I am fond of, with the odious task of trying to sell things they are unfamiliar with.

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Brings to mind:  'What would Ben Cartwright do'?

..........Widder

Sell Alpo and leave cash to his heirs.

2 minutes ago, Marshall Matt Dillon said:

I told my wife last year i was going to start selling stuff. Sigh,,,now i have 8 more then i had then.

Been there done that.  Sell three for $2,000.00 each and buy six at $1,000.00 each.  Not my fault there was a stock split.

7 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I told my wife that SHE needed to start selling some of her useless stuff.

I woke up the next morning with a price marked on my forehead..... :o

..........Widder

Dibs on your 97s. :lol:

:ph34r:

9 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I told my wife that SHE needed to start selling some of her useless stuff.

I woke up the next morning with a price marked on my forehead..... :o

..........Widder

How much?

12 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

How much?

Enough to buy a couple Banana Splits and a new pair of walking shoes.

Obviously, she doesn't recognize my real value.  :lol::lol:

..........Widder

20 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Dibs on your 97s. :lol:

:ph34r:

AW... the Enchantress's  will probably sell and put some real $$$ in her pocket.

Enchantress #3 is destined to go to Curly Bill Kelly, in Harriman, TN.

Enchantress #4 is destined to go to Red Knee in Oklahoma.   Heaven knows he needs a good one.  :D

Enchantress #7 and 11 are the IAC Cowboy models with low serial numbers.

Real nice 97's.   And expensive!

..........Widder

7 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Like many of you, I have 'stuff'.   Guns, a real nice truck, new ATV, etc.....

I only have the wife, who don't give squat about my 'stuff'.  And we have

one daughter.  Her husband is a shooter and hunter.

Anyhow, I decided a couple years back that I was not gonna let age dictate what I do with my

'stuff'.    With past and present heart situation, I could live 18 days or 18 years longer.

I will keep my stuff, use my stuff, and have fun with my stuff.   And if I decide to sell or rid my

life of anything, it WILL NOT be dictated by my age or health.   

And because of my Faith in the 'here after',  I don't really worry about what my wife and 

daughter may or may not do with my 'stuff'.    

"That's all I got ta say about that".

..........Widder

What about me Dad?

i did this once about 14 years ago with my US long arms collection then reinvested in expanding a different passion , commonwealth long arms  , now this past year ive done it again with the second investment , im still sitting on two others but ive started on one .....its hard to ley go when you have so much of you invested as well as the cash , feels a bit like your children leaving home , but this never comes back even for a visit , 

I went through a stage of fixing up hammer doubles.  This lead me to an old retired gunsmith.  He still had his shop behind his house that was say 16' by 24'.  It was standing spots only inside - being stuffed full of old "gun bones".  After a couple of visits, he started opening cloakroom lockers.  He may have had a dozen long guns in each.  Many he had restored - some were new, special edition. 

There was always something interesting to look at. Leaning in one corner was a Spencer Bannerman pump shotgun.   It was complete but in rough condition. 

The old guy had only one daughter the leave anything to.  He arranged an auction of his collection of over 300 guns with a local auction house.  They took care of most of the details and advertised the event.  The had already divested in many of his part before I got to know him. It was said he had a lot of Winchester OEM lever action parts.  Another gunsmith got his junkyard of parts guns.

I got several project guns from him, including the two Colt 1878 shotguns and a Parker DH 12 gauge.   I'd get one of his project guns done and take it back to show him.  He'd get some satisfaction seeing it done.  

I haven't seen him in over a year.  Stupid virus deal you know While I'm not afraid,  I don't want to impose on him with a visit.  But I'm going to call him up soon and take a couple of guns he's not seen. 

I wouldn’t look at it as “Fading Away” Utah Bob. I would look at as prudent transitioning. 
For retirement planning and our future move, I have been slowly getting rid of stuff that I have had for 20 or 30 years that I have not used or needed in years. I just got rid of a bunch of tools that I had no intention of using again. Cement and masonry tools, pneumatic tools, plumbing and electrical tools, metal working tools and some other odds and ends. I have a bunch of motorcycle parts and tools that need to go if I decide not to restore a Yamaha I have sitting in the garage waiting for a new lease on life. 

I have a bunch of light rail paraphernalia and models that decorate my office at work. That stuff will not follow me home. I plan to donate it to a rail museum here. If they don’t want it my guys can have it. 

At first I was actually a bit melancholy about getting rid of this stuff, but then it dawned on me that I was just preparing for a new part of my life. A part of my life where I can say “Nope, can’t help you rewire your house” or “help you hook up your jacuzzi” or “help you swap your engine” because “I don’t have the tools and...my back has been bothering me” or some other ailment that I can blame it on that comes with age or a lifetime of self inflicted injuries. :lol:

Archived