SASS Wire Forum

Newbie Question about 22’s

Derringer Dan

Yes.

But usually  about twice as expensive as a Henry .

With the same looks and functions. 

Just Sayin. 

Rooster 

I wasn't aware that SASS has a rimfire 'division'.

On the other hand, there are 'categories' that allow some young folks to use the .22 rifle.

For those shooters, indeed the 9422 is legal.

Some clubs also allow the .22 rifle for adult shooters, especially during these times of 

centerfire ammo and reloading component shortages.

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Yes.

But usually  about twice as expensive as a Henry .

With the same looks and functions. 

Just Sayin. 

Rooster 

I have one that I bought 15 years ago. Shoots real nice, but wanted to know if it was accepted as a rimfire. Getting some Ruger Wranglers to be able to shoot the cheaper ammo. Thanks pard. 

32 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Some clubs also allow the .22 rifle for adult shooters, especially during these times of 

centerfire ammo and reloading component shortages.

..........Widder

This is what I am trying to do. I have a Ruger Wrangler, will be getting another soon, and am putting together the leather for it all. Being a newbie to SASS, and still recovering from my accident, I have some time to get all this together. I have a vintage 9422 and wanted to make sure it would be allowed to shoot. Thanks pard. :FlagAm:

Dan,

The 9422 is an excellent rifle.  I've owned about 1/2 dozen of them and presently just have only one.

For speed competition, its hard to beat a slicked up, modified Henry lever .22

Continue to get well and enjoy the game/sport.

..........Widder

ill second what widder said , excellent rifle , are you sure you want to use it as a SASS toll tho , the wranglers i can see , the value of these precludes my doing that with mine , i have others that i can put to use that are not as dear as my 9422 is to me , but thats just me - i would never tell anyone else what to do with theirs , but ill shoot my cimmarons before i would shoot my colts too 

22 hours ago, watab kid said:

ill second what widder said , excellent rifle , are you sure you want to use it as a SASS toll tho , the wranglers i can see , the value of these precludes my doing that with mine , i have others that i can put to use that are not as dear as my 9422 is to me , but thats just me - i would never tell anyone else what to do with theirs , but ill shoot my cimmarons before i would shoot my colts too 

Definitely something to think about. It is the only 22 lever that I own and throwing it down on a table may not keep it nice for very long... Thanks 

10 minutes ago, Derringer Dan said:

Definitely something to think about. It is the only 22 lever that I own and throwing it down on a table may not keep it nice for very long... Thanks 

The thing to consider about the 9422 is replacement parts, in particular... the stock.  Some of them

have very pretty wood.

With a Henry, replacement stocks are readily available from Henry..... and cheap.

Bang it up and replace the wood as you please.

The 9422, LN or LNIB, is probably worth close to $1000.

A new Henry... $300-350.

..........Widder

Funny story about the 9422. My gun guy calls me some years ago and says he has something I want. Go see him and its the 9422, 1975 vintage, brand spankin new in box, with a Kmart price tag of $149.99. All the case candy inside. Lets just say I spent a bit more. While in the shop, a gentleman standing by says something about keeping it in the safe to which I replied “oh heck no! I’m shooting this puppy” I think he had a heart attack. I haven’t abused it, but it has been shot plenty and has some dings here and there

Dan,

I bought my first 9422 sometime in the early 70's for about $103.

In 1993, I bought a NEW one for about $300 for my new born daughter.  She is now 28 and 

although that rifle still looks brand new (of which I still have the original box),  it sits in the back

of my safe.   She has shot it a few times but basically has never been 'dinged', scratched, etc.....

On the other hand, my 2 and 4 year old Henry rifles have been shot a lot.   But my Golden Boy

Youth has been babied by me and still looks new.

..........Widder

I have no desire to own any firearm that I will not shoot.  I shoot two first year production Ruger Blackhawks, one that belonged to my Father.

Shooters ask my how I can cut down a beautiful SKB model 385. My standard reply is that as a cowboy gun it will get 10 times the use and enjoyment that

it would get sitting in a safe.

J.M.

True words spoken Pappy

9 minutes ago, Johnny Meadows,SASS#28485L said:

I have no desire to own any firearm that I will not shoot.  I shoot two first year production Ruger Blackhawks, one that belonged to my Father.

Shooters ask my how I can cut down a beautiful SKB model 385. My standard reply is that as a cowboy gun it will get 10 times the use and enjoyment that

J.M.

True words stated Pappy.

1 hour ago, Johnny Meadows,SASS#28485L said:

J.M.

Yep....I have to agree. If I spend the money for a firearm I intend to shoot it. Does me no good to hang onto it in the back of a safe for someone to sell it after I'm gone.

2 hours ago, Johnny Meadows,SASS#28485L said:

J.M.

I bought a brand new Stoeger Supreme SXS that I intend to shoot the blue off. My FFL couldn’t believe that I was going to compete with it. I’m with you Pard.

When I first got into CAS 20 plus years ago the Only firearm I owned was a 9422. 

I sold it to help finance my 1st set of Cowboy Guns...

It paid in full or a 45 cal. Rossi '92 and a pretty slick little 12 ga. Spanish SxS.....

But now I wish I had the 9422 back....  ;)

ive been accumulating 22s for a good bit of time so i have a few to choose from , i agree with those that recommend using the 9422 for range time - not CAS/SASS , i have a couple henrys that ill use for it and a couple ill not , my golden boy wont be going to a monthly match any time soon , they are the better choice here - or a repro , ill not use my browning either , 

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2021 at 4:50 AM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Dan,

I bought my first 9422 sometime in the early 70's for about $103.

In 1993, I bought a NEW one for about $300 for my new born daughter.  She is now 28 and 

although that rifle still looks brand new (of which I still have the original box),  it sits in the back

of my safe.   She has shot it a few times but basically has never been 'dinged', scratched, etc.....

On the other hand, my 2 and 4 year old Henry rifles have been shot a lot.   But my Golden Boy

Youth has been babied by me and still looks new.

..........Widder

Good evening. I now have a ‘Evil Roy’ Henry that I want to compete with. After reading up on some older posts, it seems that you are very good at massaging these up. Is this something that you can still do? I would be interested in having it done. If so, please PM me any contact information. Thanks Widder. 

Archived