SASS Wire Forum

Police Cars

Subdeacon Joe

The late County Sheriff was a friend who had been a Tennessee State Trooper before being elected to the top cop position in the county.

He went from driving the state’s Caprices to the county’s Crown Vics. He said that the CV wasn’t fit to run parts for the Chevies. He told me that the the Ford was limited by its computer to a top speed of around 129mph. The Caprice would easily eclipse 140 and stopped and handled better as well.

I KNOW that the Caprice would run at least 145 because I had to run 150 on my Buell White Lightning to outrun one!!

1998 was SUCH a long time ago!!  They’d probably put me UNDER the jail these days!! :rolleyes: :lol:

43 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

The late County Sheriff was a friend who had been a Tennessee State Trooper before being elected to the top cop position in the county.

He went from driving the state’s Caprices to the county’s Crown Vics. He said that the CV wasn’t fit to run parts for the Chevies. He told me that the the Ford was limited by its computer to a top speed of around 129mph. The Caprice would easily eclipse 140 and stopped and handled better as well.

I KNOW that the Caprice would run at least 145 because I had to run 150 on my Buell White Lightning to outrun one!!

1998 was SUCH a long time ago!!  They’d probably put me UNDER the jail these days!! :rolleyes: :lol:

The Caprices we had, while fast, fell apart at an astounding rate. Speed is nice. But with constant budget cuts you need to keep cars in service as long as possible, and the Fords kept on running.

2 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The Caprices we had, while fast, fell apart at an astounding rate. Speed is nice. But with constant budget cuts you need to keep cars in service as long as possible, and the Fords kept on running.

They may keep running, but the transmissions and rear ends are junk. I can't tell you how many rear axle bearings I've done in our fleet of CVs.

To be honest though, I would trade the current fleet of Exploders for a rebuilt fleet of Vics.  We're finally starting to get the 2021 Exploders in and I'm hoping they do better than the 2014 - 2019s. 

Don't get me started on all the crap that gets packed into those cars. It's the same stuff you have to unpack if you want to fix them. 

I remember when there actually were things like, cop tires, cop shocks, cop suspension, etc.

2 hours ago, Hendo said:

I remember when there actually were things like, cop tires, cop shocks, cop suspension, etc.

Elwood would agree with you.

11 hours ago, Hendo said:

They may keep running, but the transmissions and rear ends are junk. I can't tell you how many rear axle bearings I've done in our fleet of CVs.

To be honest though, I would trade the current fleet of Exploders for a rebuilt fleet of Vics.  We're finally starting to get the 2021 Exploders in and I'm hoping they do better than the 2014 - 2019s. 

Don't get me started on all the crap that gets packed into those cars. It's the same stuff you have to unpack if you want to fix them. 

This is EXACTLY what the neighbor kid who works for Ford said about them!!  He says that they fail often in the transmission department.

He also gripes about all of the gear that they haul around.

I got out of general repair about the same time that the Caprices were beginning to phase out.  We started buying those engines and transmissions for the hot rods we built.  A thorough rebuild and some programming on the ECUs and you had great street rod drivetrain!!

I spent two months in Bahrain last year.  The "police" were only there for accidents.  Speeders were caught using camera's.

When I turned my rental car in, they ran a check in the "system" to ensure I hadn't received a ticket before they would let me close out the contract.

Never saw one of those fancy high-speed cars in Bahrain, either.

18 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

Guest or just visit?????

Texas Lizard

I passed the PD as the taxi went from the airport to the hotel and back. :D

There was a comment about cop equipment. One year my city bought some new Malibus. When we went by the city garage to look at them, they still had the stickers in the window. The sticker said-Taxi cab package, heavy duty shocks and heavy duty floor mats. :(  On top of that, they had six cylinder engines.  :( :( 

Those first ones ain’t the cars I drove.  Mine were all high mileage with shot suspensions, worn out transmissions, and had that wonderful distinct odor of blood, sweat, vomit, and urine intermingled with bleach. A lot of them no longer had a passing gear.

1 hour ago, MAYOBARD SASS #13025L said:

Those first ones ain’t the cars I drove.  Mine were all high mileage with shot suspensions, worn out transmissions, and had that wonderful distinct odor of blood, sweat, vomit, and urine intermingled with bleach. A lot of them no longer had a passing gear.

Some may want to know what is passing gear...More likely the younger ones...

Texas Lizard

42 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

That's the P on the gearshift. 

Won’t work right unless your blinker fluid is topped off though.

If you really really really want to go fast, when you've got it in D for Drag, and you're up in the high 90s closing on 100, shove it into R for Race.

Archived