SASS Wire Forum

Needed advise on Black Powder 410 Shotgun Loads

Rooster Ron Wayne

410 is a different animal then other shotguns .

I dont want to do something wrong .

I have been loading and shooting BP Cartridge Loads for many Years Now .

I even load 12G BP Loads for SASS .

But 410 is New to me .

I have a Henry Lever Action Brass 410 .

( Like a Marlin 410 Smooth Bore Shotgun )

I would like to make some 2-2/1 shot loads and Buck & Ball  Loads .

Im thinking I should be about 40gr of Black Powder ?

Thank you advance .

Rooster 

I loaded some BP .410s for a buckaroo several years ago.  40 grains of 2F powder.  Trim the petals on a .410 plastic shot cup to sit just a skosh below the crimp after seating the cup on the powder.  Use a dipper to fill the cup with shot to crimp level.  You are basically making a .44-40 load.

The kid took the knockdowns down.

:)

11 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

wondering outloud...

would it cycle 444 Marlin brass?

I wondered the same thing . 

But when you look at the head dimensions  they are different  enough that the claw on the bolt might not work well .

So I just ordered some 410 Brass  .

And got some Used Plastic 410's right here to practice with.

Rooster 

410's are not a different animal, just smaller. Find a plastic wad that will allow you to do a square load and load it. The main difficulty is that there is less room for error when filling the shell to make sure you get a good crimp.  No mixing shot sizes for example, as it will affect the column height. My 2 kids shot BP shotshells for all their years as Buckaroos as it was easier and cheaper for me, and less recoil for them.

4 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

410's are not a different animal, just smaller. Find a plastic wad that will allow you to do a square load and load it. The main difficulty is that there is less room for error when filling the shell to make sure you get a good crimp.  No mixing shot sizes for example, as it will affect the column height. My 2 kids shot BP shotshells for all their years as Buckaroos as it was easier and cheaper for me, and less recoil for them.

From about everything I have read .

Says You Cant use the same powders that you use for 10 , 12 , 20 , 16 .

Every thing is saying you must use a faster powder .

Other then BP loads it sounds like a different animal to me .

So I figured its better to ask then blow up a gun . 

Just saying .

Rooster 

A square load ie shot and powder are the same volume or look up what dram the original 410 loads were and load that volume or less of black powder, then find a wad that fits for stack height.  My understanding is that black powder is less pressure than smokeless powder.  

did a square load to start with in 12 ga and it came out right in the middle of other peoples bp loads. 

Maybe with smokeless, but you said you were going with BP, so that is what I commented on.  I found no need to make any smokeless shells in 410 for SASS shooting. Buckaroos don't even need to knock down the targets, so why beat them up unnecessarily.

BP is a lot more versatile than smokeless powders.  It works as well in .410 as in 10 gauge.  The pressure curve never gets very high.   The guidance that Slim has given will work well for you, too.    You will burn up hulls pretty quickly.  So, lay in a supply.  

Yes, loading BP in shotshells is a lot different than smokeless powder.  GJ

2 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

...so why beat them up unnecessarily.

With a 2 1/2” .410?

Really?

B)

Well, they were 9 years old, with a 50 year old single barrel.  But mostly BP was much easier to load without any fear of over-pressure rounds, no worry about whether I had the right wads or not and I had lots of BP on hand. And the smoke was cool, especially for a kid. Wins all the way around. My daughter still shoots BP, greatly prefers it.

On 4/23/2021 at 8:43 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

wondering outloud...

would it cycle 444 Marlin brass?

The rim is a little smaller on the .444 I think. Good question as I used to load brass shells for Kaya and her single shot.

I load 444 for 410 SxS and they work great for the SXS.Tried in a single shot and the ejecter would miss the rim.I loaded BP and smokeless.I load 296 for the smokeless loads.Work up the 296 load for my grandson years ago and for Texas Cutie until she grew up.She took down all knock downs with the load.There is no recoil my grandson's baikal would double and he would grin.

Wooo Hooo.  

Got some Brass 36cal Shotshells. 

Now we are talking .

16195559423471937516434502026509.jpg

Got some Brass 36cal Shotshells.

Bet those are 36 gauge cases.  

As in this catalog listing

https://www.rebelgunworks.com.au/products/magtech-unprimed-brass-cases-410-bore-2-1-2-25pk

good luck, GJ

Archived