SASS Wire Forum

So as not to upset Pat

Alpo

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AD72302B-B8B2-46B3-9A5A-5522C4F5D560.thumb.jpeg.70adecd07a36584ffa5c438a571ade05.jpg.453f4cb3999bd54c2d7149b249e9989b.jpg

I don't like being tailgated. When people tailgate me, my normal reaction is to slow down. I assume that if I am driving 50 in a 50, and someone is on my bumper, they want to drive faster than 50. I slow down to 45. If they still are riding my bumper I slow down to 40. Eventually I will be going slow enough that they will pass me in frustration. Then as THEY go charging down the road at 90 miles an hour, I go back up to 50.

If they do not pass me in frustration, when they finally run into the back of my vehicle, they won't do as much damage to me at 40 as they would have at 50.

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

AD72302B-B8B2-46B3-9A5A-5522C4F5D560.thumb.jpeg.70adecd07a36584ffa5c438a571ade05.jpg.453f4cb3999bd54c2d7149b249e9989b.jpg

I don't like being tailgated. When people tailgate me, my normal reaction is to slow down. I assume that if I am driving 50 in a 50, and someone is on my bumper, they want to drive faster than 50. I slow down to 45. If they still are riding my bumper I slow down to 40. Eventually I will be going slow enough that they will pass me in frustration. Then as THEY go charging down the road at 90 miles an hour, I go back up to 50.

If they do not pass me in frustration, when they finally run into the back of my vehicle, they won't do as much damage to me at 40 as they would have at 50.

If you’re in the fast lane of a 2 or more lane highway driving slow and you go slower on purpose you deserve anything that comes your way. 

Neither the original meme, which referenced exceeding the speed limit by 5 mph, or my response, which referenced driving the speed limit, said anything about driving slow or driving in the fast lane. People that tailgate feel entitled. The speed limit is not a requirement - it is a "do not exceed". If the car in front of you is going slower than you wish to drive, you have two rational choices. You can pass them, or you can drop back and drive as slow as they are while cussing them under your breath.

But following them with only five or six feet of space between you and them, at any speed over about 5 mph, is reckless, dangerous, and extremely stupid.

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

Neither the original meme, which referenced exceeding the speed limit by 5 mph, or my response, which referenced driving the speed limit, said anything about driving slow or driving in the fast lane. People that tailgate feel entitled. The speed limit is not a requirement - it is a "do not exceed". If the car in front of you is going slower than you wish to drive, you have two rational choices. You can pass them, or you can drop back and drive as slow as they are while cussing them under your breath.

But following them with only five or six feet of space between you and them, at any speed over about 5 mph, is reckless, dangerous, and extremely stupid.

You’re right. I guess it depends on your perspective.
I drive freeways a lot and we get these fast lane hogs that bust ass to get ahead of the pack and then slow down and do not care if people bunch up behind them. 

Pat, one more thing to consider.

You ride a motorsickle. They stop a whole lot quicker than a car does. So if you're riding down the road on your 600 pound bike at 55 mph, and there's somebody about 4 feet behind you in a 4000 pound pickup truck, would that bother you?

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

You ride a motorsickle. They stop a whole lot quicker than a car does. So if you're riding down the road on your 600 pound bike at 55 mph, and there's somebody about 4 feet behind you in a 4000 pound pickup truck, would that bother you?

I tried to tailgate a motorscooter once.  Not as easy as you might think.  An hour later I think I saw them pulled in to a truck stop. 

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

Thought Pat is a Sammy Hagar fan.

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

About 20 seconds after getting that close to the rear of my bike, their windshield is going to develop a nasty crack.  

19 hours ago, Alpo said:

I don't slow down unless it is an area where I think it safe for them to pass, and then I'll motion for them to pass. Slowing down to irritate them is, in my opinion, childish and petty, bringing you down to the same level as the guy riding my bumper.

If it's a two lane road (one lane each direction) and traffic is piling up behind me and I'm going the speed limit I'll go ahead and, at a turnout, pull over and let the pack pass.  The ten seconds it costs me is nothing compared to the potential for some impatient idjiits trying to zip around me on a blind curve and causing a crash.

Nor do I ride someone's bumper unless the person is driving significantly under the limit, e. g. 35 in a 50.  Even then I only close up tight if coming to a stretch where I'm fairly sure I can pass safely.  Again, the few minutes it will cost me is nothing.  

I don’t pay much attention to my rear view when I’m on my moto.  The only times there’s someone that close, they wanna write me a ticket.

20 hours ago, Alpo said:

Absolutely. My gripe is me being behind a slow person when they are in the fast lane. And, contrary to popular belief bikes, in general, do not stop faster than most cars today when traveling at freeway speeds. Street speeds? Maybe. It depends on the bike. 

supper.jpg.9e5ee52fcd0fc3e83dec1338b612a840.jpg

Anyone else find it weird that Ham is often served for Easter and Christmas in America?

On 10/17/2021 at 1:42 AM, Alpo said:

There is ALSO a "keep right except to pass" law.    So unless you are actively passing someone you are supposed to keep right even if you're doing - or exceeding- the speed limit.

If you're doing 5mph in the left lane and not actively passing anyone, you're breaking the law twice.

Archived