SASS Wire Forum

So as not to upset Pat

Alpo

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

@Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474

This meme seriously rings a bell with me. 
image.thumb.jpeg.8c68b1bdd6a9ea8d0dffcdcd3cf7c8f8.jpeg

I work in rail passenger transit. I hear this hype all the time. I always ask “Do you think the movement of magnetic North Pole has caused this climate change? That’s what I think is causing it and nothing Man can do can change Earth’s core position.”

I get a blank stare every time. 

Climate change has always existed and still does, same with magnetic shifts. But what's new is that we now have almost 8 billion people in a space meant to hold less, along with all the livestock to feed them and the land to feed them and their livestock, and along with all their emissions and waste. If you think that's even a little bit sustainable then you might want to re-evaluate whether it makes sense to use one real thing as an excuse to ignore another real thing.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Thanks.   I  almost exclusively use the "Add File" feature. 

It seems that if you swap back and forth it defeats or doesn’t allow the merge feature. OR wait a few minutes between posts. That works too. 

@Subdeacon Joe I had to edit to fix my auto correct issues. 

36 minutes ago, Chicken Rustler, SASS #26680 said:

Climate change has always existed and still does, same with magnetic shifts. But what's new is that we now have almost 8 billion people in a space meant to hold less, along with all the livestock to feed them and the land to feed them and their livestock, and along with all their emissions and waste. If you think that's even a little bit sustainable then you might want to re-evaluate whether it makes sense to use one real thing as an excuse to ignore another real thing.

What’s your solution? I don’t see one in your response. 

1 hour ago, Chicken Rustler, SASS #26680 said:

But what's new is that we now have almost 8 billion people in a space meant to hold less,

Where is the proof that the Earth is "a space that is meant to hold less?"  That is a theme that I have been reading for 20 years, but there is never any proof put up to substantiate it.
We have issues with poor management of resources, corrupt governments, distribution of goods, true.  But that the Earth can't sustain  8 billion, or even 20 billion I haven't seen proof.

Used to be Buffalo as far as the eye could see.. carrier pigeons that blocked out the sky. Before that different mega fauna. 

An environment supports what it does when an organism exceeds its space it loses members of the herd until it regains equilibrium. 

Why does it appear that everybody thinks humans are different. I propose that Buffalo did not suffer from hubris.

To believe that anything we do Wil have a long term impact on a planet is hilarious to me. 

George Carlin used to do a bit about the earth plus plastic. Tldr the earth wanted plastic so it allowed humans to florish until they got to plastic then they extincted

23 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

What’s your solution? I don’t see one in your response. 

My solution is only a partial solution, so far that's all I got.

Take little steps to use resources more efficiently and to supplement fossil fuels where you can. Until we come up with something brilliant the difference will be small but will still help.

This doesn't mean I agree with the liberals, a lot of the green new deal is pretty stupid but conservatives should stop throwing away the whole thing just because of the stupid parts. And instead of trying to convince the liberals that wishful thinking doesn't make things work the way you want, maybe just try to get them to stop ordering everything Amazon Prime next-day-delivery and see how much that simple little thing helps.

23 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Where is the proof that the Earth is "a space that is meant to hold less?"  That is a theme that I have been reading for 20 years, but there is never any proof put up to substantiate it.
We have issues with poor management of resources, corrupt governments, distribution of goods, true.  But that the Earth can't sustain  8 billion, or even 20 billion I haven't seen proof.

There is no proof, that requires controlled experiments with reproducible results. So far all we have is modeling and assumptions based on the result we're seeing right now. If you think we have enough acreage and resources for 20 billion then make an argument.

22 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

Used to be Buffalo as far as the eye could see.. carrier pigeons that blocked out the sky. Before that different mega fauna. 

An environment supports what it does when an organism exceeds its space it loses members of the herd until it regains equilibrium. 

Why does it appear that everybody thinks humans are different. I propose that Buffalo did not suffer from hubris.

To believe that anything we do Wil have a long term impact on a planet is hilarious to me. 

George Carlin used to do a bit about the earth plus plastic. Tldr the earth wanted plastic so it allowed humans to florish until they got to plastic then they extincted

I agreed with Carlin when I heard him do that bit, and I think I agree with you now. The earth will be fine, but it might do that by getting rid of us.

2 hours ago, Chicken Rustler, SASS #26680 said:

There is no proof, that requires controlled experiments with reproducible results. So far all we have is modeling and assumptions based on the result we're seeing right now. If you think we have enough acreage and resources for 20 billion then make an argument.

It was your statement to prove, not mine.  Basically you are saying that anyone can make a WAG at it and it is valid.  Assumptions?  A dime a gross.  Models?  You can design models to show anything you want.  

Basically, you pulled a number (sort of ) out of thin air and stated it as fact.

3 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

the-boys-shouldn-t-see-this-husband-and-wife-law-49357270.png

Has anyone ever met Misty Meadows? One time at Western States (Fernley, NV) we were visiting her camp. She rolled our from under their motor home and her husband came out of it wearing an apron and carrying a tray of cookies. She was a very good shooter too. I miss them. They were good people!

20 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

It was your statement to prove, not mine.  Basically you are saying that anyone can make a WAG at it and it is valid.  Assumptions?  A dime a gross.  Models?  You can design models to show anything you want.  

Basically, you pulled a number (sort of ) out of thin air and stated it as fact.

Thank you for believing that everything I say without a citation is a fact just because I said it. Oh wait, you were you saying you believe I think everything I say is a fact without applying any standard to it. Well that's not nearly as nice, and I don't know what you base that on either.

Mind you, zipping your sleeping bags together and cuddling with your wife on those cool Rocky Mountain nights has a certain...................... charm?

7 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Mind you, zipping your sleeping bags together and cuddling with your wife on those cool Rocky Mountain nights has a certain...................... charm?

Wife and I tried that. Our sleeping bags were made such that they could be zipped together. Lasted all of 30 minutes before we were so hot that we had to unzip them. Now we lay with the zippers facing each other but not actually connected. When we get cold we snuggle up. Then we have to separate to prevent overheating.

In a a motor an overheat condition is usually caused by excessive friction. Perhaps you need more oil?

1626290953572.thumb.png.a544fdf47b466674c050098bcd59460c.png.13f03d383aa8a65e67cacd92f9b7eb3c.png

Don't forget that along with corn and pumpkins and tomatoes and potatoes and chocolate, the new world natives also introduced Europeans to syphilis.

For the longest time it was known as the Spanish Disease, because the people that first brought it to Europe were Spanish sailors.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

1626290953572.thumb.png.a544fdf47b466674c050098bcd59460c.png.13f03d383aa8a65e67cacd92f9b7eb3c.png

Don't forget that along with corn and pumpkins and tomatoes and potatoes and chocolate, the new world natives also introduced Europeans to syphilis.

For the longest time it was known as the Spanish Disease, because the people that first brought it to Europe were Spanish sailors.

Don’t forget tobacco. How many have died from Cancer over the years? 

That one in the top right - you're not supposed to stand up and pee in the toilet? Where do they want you to pee? On the floor?

HEY PAT !

YOUR MRS. SAID TO TELL YOU........

APPARENTLY SHE WANT YOU AROUND FOR A WHILE.

36664429_1702750289772938_4918988325706006528_n.jpg

4 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

HEY PAT !

YOUR MRS. SAID TO TELL YOU........

APPARENTLY SHE WANT YOU AROUND FOR A WHILE.

36664429_1702750289772938_4918988325706006528_n.jpg

Unfortunately, I have done that!

FB_IMG_1627096836707.thumb.jpg.815988f36455577934ceb381f49c8dfb.jpg.d825559b5f12a7b1de86e1d6a475fd6f.jpg

Okay, I get the joke. He's a lieutenant, he's in the space forces, and his name is Kirk. They need to promote him to Captain.

He's in the space forces. That's a fairly new outfit. He's wearing a mask. That should mean the picture is no more than about 15 months old. Look at the flag on his shoulder. First, it's on his left shoulder. The military switched to wearing the flag on the right shoulder several years ago. Then, the field on the flag is on the left side (where it is supposed to be), but the military, since they wear them on the right shoulder now, has decided that that looks like the flag is retreating, which we cannot allow, so they make the flag backwards - ignoring decades of rules about how to display the flag.

Why is he wearing the wrong flag patch on the wrong shoulder?

This makes me wonder if this is a legitimate picture, or something staged.

Archived