So as not to upset Pat

Alpo

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

F7DC79BF-0F5F-4802-BBC0-DE70C13F9210.jpeg

.......... well, first off you use Vodka for 'taters ......... -_-

That might not be kosher.  There's prohibitions against cooking meat in it's own blood or in it's mother's milk.  If that can be stretched to outlaw cheeseburgers I think it would apply here too. 

Stick with whiskey to be safe. 

4 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

That might not be kosher.  There's prohibitions against cooking meat in it's own blood or in it's mother's milk.  If that can be stretched to outlaw cheeseburgers I think it would apply here too. 

Stick with whiskey to be safe. 

There were no potatoes in Europe or Asia until the 1500s. Vodka, on the other hand, has been around for thousands of years. Ever since they figured out how to distill, there has been vodka.

Obviously potatoes are not the mother of vodka.

22 minutes ago, Alpo said:

There were no potatoes in Europe or Asia until the 1500s. Vodka, on the other hand, has been around for thousands of years. Ever since they figured out how to distill, there has been vodka.

Obviously potatoes are not the mother of vodka.

Between Ramblin Gambler and Alpo it is amazing what one can learn here!

On 5/3/2021 at 9:21 AM, Raylan said:

I think some people miss the entire context of this. Slavery has existed for almost the entire history of the human race. It always was and is evil. But today in the USA we treat slavery as a uniquely American phenomena and evil. And today people are pushing for reparations and wanting to hold people today in this country responsible morally, legally, and financially for slavery that pre-existed the existance of this country. And following the birth of this country from the blood and sacrifice of the Revolutionary War, slavery existed for about 85 years until the even bloodier Civil War, the bloodiest war in our nations history. Evidently for those of us with family who fought and sacrificed in the Civil War, it means nothing as far as payment morally, or legally, or financially for those evils, even if no slaves were ever owned by ones family and they died ending slavery. 

So put it in context - slavery has existed for the entirety of human history - it was not invented here - it existed in the America's before any contact with "Western Culture" - practiced along with human sacrifice and even canabalism by some tribes and nations. How exactly the USA is responsible for the slavery existant here before the USA existed as a nation is idiotic and insufferable. To write off the many dead, crippled, and wounded from the Civil War ending slavery as not worthy of significant note is disgusting and contemptible. To specify only African American slavery and ignore the suffering of many Irish dragooned to the Caribean and the America's with many of those crossbred with African slaves and their progony condemned to lives of the same lifetime slavery is disingenuous. 

And lastly to pretend that the present 1619 project and other revisionist history isn't part of a political and social agenda designed to rewrite and destroy the foundations of traditional American culture in service of political power seeking and a radical social agenda is beyond pathetic. 

That's the whole point of the Meme or his post, the hypocritical view that takes slavery out of context making it a specific American evil that completely defines our nation and its history - while carefully crafting a false narrative that condemns the nation and twists or ignores the multitude of efforts for justice, for all the sacrifices and progress made, for all the good men and women who lived and fought the good fight for freedom and liberty for all. 

slaveryinamerica.jpg

You are, of course, absolutely right.

I will only add that it's a pretty gross over simplification to say that the Civil War was fought over slavery. At one time, just a bit before my time in school, it was common here in the south to teach that it wasn't about slavery at all, which is clearly wrong.  That changed and I did get a more balanced view.  But now it has become fashionable to at least talk and act as if it were fought for the specific reason of ending slavery, and that's just plain wrong too, certain documents from Confederate officials not withstanding.

Lincoln said that if he could preserve the union by freeing all the slaves he would, and likewise if he could preserve the union by preserving slavery he would.  Of course it was a factor, because abolitionists wanted to abolish it and the entire southern economy of the time was dependent on it.  When the country started expanding and new states being admitted, southern states saw upsetting the balance of free and slave states in Congress as a direct threat to their economy (which, well, it was.)  One point that is often missed about the debates about new states being admitted as free or slave was that it was mostly the small farmers in the newly settled areas that wanted them to be free territories and states and not allow slavery, because they knew that if rich slave owners were able to bring their slaves then the smaller farmers could never compete.

I mention it mainly because the flip side of the position of "dying to end slavery" would be that Confederate soldiers died trying to preserve it, and that was almost never true. The vast majority never owned slaves, which were held by the richer class who could avoid service if they wanted, and many wanted, and their numbers were far smaller than those of poor whites anyway.  What they saw was foreign invaders, and that's what they fought. The attitudes of the time toward the relative meaning and importance of states versus the Federal government were far, far more, well, Federalist, than today.  Lee's army was the Army of Northern Virginia for example, not the "Confederate Army."

One of my very good friends I differ with on just about every political (but not always cultural, as he's very anti-PC BS) issue except guns, as he is an otherwise VERY leftist but also ardently supports the second - at any rate, he prefaced his statement to me in a private conversation by saying he'd never say so publicly but had he been living in the south at the time he would have avoided serving, period, not because he's a coward (he definitely is NOT) but because, "I could never fight for a side that, if it were to win, would preserve slavery, but I also could never side with invaders."

History is always fascinating, at least to me, but it is very rarely simple.

One huge tragedy of the Civil War, to me, was that the Industrial Revolution leading to mechanized farming along with changing attitudes would have ended slavery soon regardless. The last legal slavery in the western hemisphere that I'm aware of was in Brazil, which abolished it in 1888.  Slavery did survive in many places for much, much longer, true, but on a far smaller scale. 

I am certainly not suggesting that people should have remained enslaved and oppressed for another twenty years.  I just find it one of the most tragic accidents of history that mechanization of large farming operations rendered the entire debate moot so soon after so many lives were lost. Truly horrible. :(

On 5/5/2021 at 2:23 PM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

and-they-will-never-have-money-for-drugs-motorcycle-memes-52344715.png

I ride, and my biker buddies sometimes say this.

I remind them that I'm a private pilot before I burst out in spasms of uncontrollable laughter. ;)

On 5/15/2021 at 5:43 PM, Alpo said:

image.thumb.png.4ef2f96d19cff2138ca34cd60250a3db.png.cb794bb42f4b640da8cd7a22e623fc0d.png

I don't know why people have such a problem with this.

When you see someone is going to hug you, just make sure that your arms go underneath their arms. That you are hugging them around the torso. This forces their arms to go up, and they are hugging you around the shoulders and neck. Nobody wears a gun around their shoulders and neck. They can't feel it.

Usually what happens is a woman (women are, as a general rule, shorter than men) hug the man and she either hugs him around his chest or around his waist. She feels his shoulder and or waist holster. But if you make sure that you have your arms underneath hers, she cannot touch your gun.

It's really very simple.

Anybody who has a problem with the fact that I carry has no business hugging me anyway, and most of them will already know it.

chipmanwaco.thumb.jpeg.a5c08b75efefbfaa9c5e4d5a92442953.jpg.254bb4742ca7ad3d28c154a2d6d49b31.jpg

@Sedalia Dave

I was confused also. Then I looked up the name CHIPMAN. He is the butt-weasel ATF agent that the latest intruder in my White House has decided needs to head ATF. The "all those women and children" reference, and the picture, refer to Waco, and the Branch Davidians.

image.png.d3c40a81e9c6fa15d1d6d530109a9a22.png.0ae31997d36363c88c5aade8b9f39cb4.png

Very seldom do you get bitten by vicious dogs, or hit by people that aren't paying attention as they drive when you're walking on the treadmill.

I hear Pat's retirement plan includes organizing a big clean up along the river.

9-D1-D92-C2-80-E3-48-F2-B29-B-28-CC52-D46-B12.png

12 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I hear Pat's retirement plan includes organizing a big clean up along the river.

9-D1-D92-C2-80-E3-48-F2-B29-B-28-CC52-D46-B12.png

:lol: The only thing I would do with the LA River I’d stay away from it. 

1 minute ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I confess, I made a boo boo. Sorry, Pat!

Miss Allie, being that you are a special person to me you never have to apologize for anything. :)

Just don’t do it again :lol:

Just kidding…see line one ;)

image.thumb.jpeg.b9ac24fdbf8cf2fbf421063f4db42776.jpg.429c6f882e3d522040a49b68b5454a2b.jpg

I get the point - I really do. However many shark bites there are WORLDWIDE, there are 10 times that many people bites just in New York.

But "10 times less"?? There is no such thing as 10 times less. Times is multiplying. You can have 10 times more, or you can have 1/10 as much, but you can't have 10 times less.

Whatever fecalcephalic that dreamed up this meme speaks neither math nor English.

9 minutes ago, Alpo said:

image.thumb.jpeg.b9ac24fdbf8cf2fbf421063f4db42776.jpg.429c6f882e3d522040a49b68b5454a2b.jpg

I get the point - I really do. However many shark bites there are WORLDWIDE, there are 10 times that many people bites just in New York.

But "10 times less"?? There is no such thing as 10 times less. Times is multiplying. You can have 10 times more, or you can have 1/10 as much, but you can't have 10 times less.

Whatever fecalcephalic that dreamed up this meme speaks neither math nor English.

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/shark-attacks/odds/compare-risk/nyc-biting-injuries/

It’s possibly true

6 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

.... NO!!! ... the term IS olde

Remember, the majority of those Pards posting here are speaking American English.

I'm pulling this from Pat's "Meme" thread:

image.thumb.png.9142e1d4c82fe941865b504b73fe2e7e.png

What the heck is it with the tongue out and weird hand positions that makes it so popular is selfies?  It's ugly, awkward, unattractive, and just plain stupid looking.

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I'm pulling this from Pat's "Meme" thread:

image.thumb.png.9142e1d4c82fe941865b504b73fe2e7e.png

What the heck is it with the tongue out and weird hand positions that makes it so popular is selfies?  It's ugly, awkward, unattractive, and just plain stupid looking.

Rather look at that than @ patriot standing in background with no shirt on

Archived