SASS Wire Forum

Most appreciated gun

Isom Dart, SASS#8096

Talking to a couple of friends and we started talking about guns we bought years ago for chump-change and now you'd have to mortage your first born to get one. Whatcha' got ? When you bought it, what it is, when it was made and how much you paid for it. SASS type or not, doesn't matter. I'll start ;

Winchester '73 , 32-20 , good ++, 24" oct bbl., bbl inside fair, born,1892, purch 1966 for ,,,,,,, $65.00

That's it for me,

Isom

One that involved several step of trading up started with a sad $200 Colt 1991 that I fixed up and when the final trade was completed I had a WW1 German Luger with Imperial markings worth about $4000 today.

In 2000 I bought a near-mint Colt Python 8" royal blue, made in 1982, for $450.

In 2008, traded for a new GP-100, P-97 and $400, total of $1150.

Similar guns now run $3000-plus.

IN the early 90's, I picked up an all matching number M1 Carbine (inland).  Sorted thru 3 barrels of carbines to find the one I wanted, that looked to be in the best shape.  Paid $149 for it.  Wish I had bought all three barrels of them, I might be able to sell them for enough to afford some danged primers!

In 1980s I bought a well used Colt Commander for $250 and traded it several years later for a used S&W mod 41 in .22lr. I saw a 41 recently on Buds Guns for over $1200. It is still one of my most favorite guns and I have no desire to part with it.

Imis

I went searching for a drilling, a three-barreled German sporting gun, years ago. I was hoping to find one that was shootable for what I could afford. A guy on a message board reached out to me and I ended up buying a gorgeous drilling made in 1929 for about half what it is worth today. If I could only keep one gun in my safe, it’d be the one. 

Used Second Generation SAA Colt 45 /w 5 1/2 bbl. Celebrated the fact that I could buy a pistol myself. (Turned 21) Paid $200. We all know what they cost now.

Bought a Century G-93 in the mid 2000’s for $300. Added a HK bipod and a few magazines over the years. Traded it straight across for an Uberti Outlaw 1875 in nickel a month ago. From their Lawmen and Outlaws collection. Sweet pistola.

7CD7349A-BB8D-413C-9584-55E2E811E3E4.jpeg

My Grandfather's Remington Rand 1911 .

That he carried in Wll .

My Father originally had it at one time .

He sold it to His Brother.

My Uncle had it for years and sold it to his Son .

My Cousin had it for a few years and Sold it to his brother-inlaw .

Mike decided he no longer wanted it and had it up for sale.

My Cousin called me and Asked me if I wanted it .

It changed hands every time for 300.00

Mike sold it to me for 300.00 .

She has been re-blued and only valuable to a family member .

After I got it back .

I told Mike I would have paid him 1000.00 to get it back in my family.

She is now willed to my First Born Grandson .

He will have his Great Great Grandfather's Remington Rand 1911 one day .

I hope he values it as much as I do.

So Saith The Rooster

5 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

In 2000 I bought a near-mint Colt Python 8" royal blue, made in 1982, for $450.

In 2008, traded for a new GP-100, P-97 and $400, total of $1150.

Similar guns now run $3000-plus.

Sssssnakes!  Ah, yes.  In '98 and '99 when I first got into guns, I picked up these to shoot, not collect, but sure glad I kept them!  Only the Anaconda was new, and the scope was almost as much as the gun.  The rest were from gunshows.  All good deals, but I guess the one that has appreciated the most would be the 8" nickle Python.  Paid $500 for it.

Snakes-small.jpg

Probably has not gone up in value much, Sig SP2022 9mm about about 5 years ago for less than $400.

Still shooting the snot out of it in competition and training.

Maybe not most appreciated in value, but most appreciated by me.

Just looked at GunBroker, about $600 today. And I have bought a lot of mags for it, holsters, several complete spring kits... Keeping it.

Most appreciated in value? Probably my Smith 357 Magnum Model 19 Snubby for $450. Not even going to look at GunBroker, keeping that one too. My lady regrets selling it to me, but at least she did not sell it to someone else, then it would really be gone.

My Dad was a Detroit Police Officer in the 1950s through 1970s. In the early 1960s he paid $90 for a Colt Python 2 1/2" that he carried and used on many occasions while working the Cruiser Car.  Last year, he gifted that gun to me.  Current value?  Priceless.

My Father bought an M1 carbine by Underwood through the mail in the early 60's.  I still have it in the original shipping box from Tooele, Utah with original padding and wood blocks, magazines etc.  Looking at the feed ramp, it looks to have never had a cartridge across it.

Horace

16 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Used Second Generation SAA Colt 45 /w 5 1/2 bbl. Celebrated the fact that I could buy a pistol myself. (Turned 21) Paid $200. We all know what they cost now.

I'll give you twice that! $400.00 cash!!:P

11 hours ago, JP McLintock said:

Old model vaquero stainless, brand new $400 in 2004.

Yep.
Same for me in 1999... Bisley OM in 357.

In 2019, I found his twin brother in a pawn shop in Junction City, KS.
Then I found his identical twin cousins in 44 mag in VT and GA that same year.

So I guess I have four, not just one.

9 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I'll give you twice that! $400.00 cash!!:P

Let me think on that one.:P

I once bought a double shotgun for 50 cents (I am absolutely not kidding).  I didn’t want it because it was not functional, but the guy really wanted it out of his house.  Turns out that it had just been assembled incorrectly.  I put it together correctly and sold it for $300.  Technically, that’s that’s probably the largest percentage of appreciation.

I inherited a Colt Gold Cup National Match that still has the original receipt in the box for $130.56 after the employee discount and taxes.  Jan 31 1968.  That one was never fired beyond the test firing at the factory. 

You old guys have a natural advantage But I think I got you all beat with something I bought myself.  I have a box of 30-30 that I paid $17 for and a box of 223 that I paid $7 for.  That's what they're marked, I actually probably paid less for the 223.  I also have a box of 30-06 marked $3.89 but that was given to me because I like old ammo and their boxes. 

A Colt single action revolver, 2nd generation, .45 caliber, 4 3/4 in barrel, blue, case-hardened frame, in a "stagecoach" box. Bought it new-in-the-box, for $235.00, in 1973.

A new-old-stock "stagecoach" box, can fetch $375.00 (and up) today....for just the empty box!!!!

Or....

In 1986 I purchased two new (no boxes) nickel plated 2nd generation Colt revolvers, in .45 caliber, both with 7 1/2 inch barrels, at a local gun show, for $900 for both revolvers. 

I later traded one of these Colts, and $200.00, for a nickel plated Colt, with a 7 1/2 inch barrel, in .45 caliber, new-in-the-box, with one-piece factory ivory grips. Today, the one piece factory ivory grips, alone, could fetch over $800.00. 

Opportunities, like this, were, and are, few, and far between...or has been for me, anyway. 

But...even a blind pig finds an acorn, once-in-a-while.  

W.K. 

I bought a Belgium made Browning HiPower for $200.00 I think this was around 1986 .

13 hours ago, bgavin said:

Yep.
Same for me in 1999... Bisley OM in 357.

In 2019, I found his twin brother in a pawn shop in Junction City, KS.
Then I found his identical twin cousins in 44 mag in VT and GA that same year.

So I guess I have four, not just one.

Thats about the same time i dound my other one, $500, used .

I just thought of an other one, I bought a Bond Derringer in .357 for $50.00 from a guy that was selling all his CAS guns.That was in 2004.

Texas Longhorn Arms .44mag/.44WCF cylinders, everything engraved, 7 1/2" barrel, ivory checkered Far-de-Lance grips, walnut case. The only one Bill Grover made.  It was ordered for my 20th wedding anervesry by my wife in 1985 for $1200 worth around $5000.  She died before the 20th and I found it.  Will go to my only son or his son when I die.  Has been used in SASS.  If you don't shoot it why have it??

For me it was the Ruger SBH 44 mag that I bought when I turned 21 that started my affinity for Ruger revolvers, both single and double actions.

Sometime in the 1960's I bought a National Match M1 Garand from the DCM. As I recall it was about $175.

Don't ask what happened to it.

When my father died I inherited a like new 30-40 Krag he brought home from The Great War. Don't ask what happened to it.

Excuse me - I'm gonna go throw up now ........  :wacko:

Archived