SASS Wire Forum

Need advice on a new shotgun front sight bead

Flaco Joe

I have a ‘97 with a cut-down barrel that has no front sight. I’d like to install a large brass bead. I plan to drill and tap the hole myself.

I need recommendations for what to buy and from what retailer. I’d like a bead slightly larger than the original, but not huge. And I want one that is threaded so that I don’t have to solder it.  

Thanks

Real easy.  Slixbead.  Go to Badman Bullets (now home to Slix products) and look up the Slix Sights.  Several different size bead.  All the way up to "Doorknob."  Threaded.  Easy Peasy

Brownell's sells a kit consisting of 1 drill bit, 1 tap and 2 beads.   You just have to pick what bead you want.       GW

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Another option:  don't use a bead.

None of my competition 97's have a bead.  And they all have 18.50" barrels.

Just a thought.

..........Widder

I asked Curly Bill about one for my 97 and he said "what for?". LOL

I don't use the front bead that I have on any of my shotguns.  Shoot a few practice sessions and see if you even need one! 

But if you want to buy, Brownells or Midway will make the selection and installation as painless as possible. 

good luck, GJ

To locate my bead I used a wine bottle stopper. I pushed a needle thru the top of the stopper edge with the point toward my eye. Wrapped barrel end in tape. Stopper into muzzle. Rotate stopper until needle point is aligned to taste. Center punch barrel at needle point.

Ask yourself, "Do Olympic trap shooters have sights?"  If the answer is yes, you should have one.  They are not hard to install or get the right parts.

Archived