SASS Wire Forum

“I had never even heard of the Marine Corps."

Sedalia Dave

“I was walking out of the old courthouse in a town called Toppenish, Washington and thinking I'd have to go to where the sun never shines and I walked past this cardboard standee poster of a Marine in dress blues. 

“I had never even heard of the Marine Corps. I was a farm boy. I never even got to town - ever. And so I spotted that poster and I said ‘holy cow.’ You know my thoughts were if they wore a uniform like that, sharp dress blues, they couldn't do a heckuva lot of work. This might be something I'd want to check into,” he explained. 

“So I walked into this humble old office with squeaky floors in this hundred-year-old building on the top of the courthouse in Toppenish. The old recruiter, a sergeant E4 was there and he had his feet up on the desk and he was reading a Cracked magazine. He dropped his magazine on the desk and he said ‘you're a farm boy aren't you? Jump up on that door sill and let me see how many pull ups you can do.’ 

“So I jumped up there and cranked out about 10 pull ups and he said ‘Yep, there's a bright future for you in the Marine Corps!’ 

Have you ever wondered WHY Marine barracks are ground level?

When the Gunny SGT throws a recruit out the window, they only have to fall 5 feet.

Know why the Navy barracks are built 3 stories high?

Cause WE can fly!

:lol:

..........Widder

18 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

When the Gunny SGT throws a recruit out the window, they only have to fall 5 feet.

Cause WE can fly!

..........Widder

Not really...

We had a guy jump out the third floor window of his barracks because he got a Dear John letter.

Dumb@$$! He sure didn’t fly. 
It wasn’t in my barracks but it was in the same building. We were on the 2nd floor. 
This poor bastage lost his arm, apparently. That was the rumor, anyway. He caught it on those gawd-awful metal clothes lines. 
This was in Great Lakes. 

Edit:

Funny story. 
When the movie Full Metal jacket came out most of what R. Lee Ernst was saying in the movie when talking to his recruits was what my Co. Commander spewed at us. 
Long Story short for a few years the Navy had some CC’s trained by the Marines to see what kind of sailors they could get with harder boot camp training. 

9 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Cause WE can fly!

..........Widder

You sound like Joe.  Joe Mama! 

Hey, I had no idea that Gunny Ermey was from Toppenish.  My family mover there from Woodland when I was about four years old and moved to Utah when I was ten.   I am almost exactly two years older than he would have been.

I still have some good memories of Toppenish even as young as I was.

Archived