SASS Wire Forum

Most popular calibers

Highwall

This is not just among the SASS users but overall shooting. I was surprised to find out the 243 Winchester was number one followed by the 270 Winchester.

I must admit I once owned a 243 Ruger bolt action and liked it a lot because the recoil was minimal. Of course the most popular handgun caliber is 9mm but I've never owned one so can't really relate to it.

To us SASS members it has to be 30/30 Winchester and .45 colt.:D

Don't know where you got info about .243 Winchester popularity, but .223/5.56 ammo outsells ALL the other rifle ammo, and 9 MM outsells all the other handgun ammo currently.

good luck, GJ

9 hours ago, Highwall said:

This is not just among the SASS users but overall shooting. I was surprised to find out the 243 Winchester was number one followed by the 270 Winchester.

I must admit I once owned a 243 Ruger bolt action and liked it a lot because the recoil was minimal. Of course the most popular handgun caliber is 9mm but I've never owned one so can't really relate to it.

To us SASS members it has to be 30/30 Winchester and .45 colt.:D

Your source? 

OLG 

I bought several buckets of mixed brass at Winter Range. About 2/3 was .38, about 15% was .45 Colt, and the rest a mix. This was maybe 10 years or so ago. This would be the lost rifle brass, so the pistol brass could be most anything.

If you're talking more modern stuff, I would say 9mm and .223 would be most common and shot. Hunting guns don't normally fire many rounds unless you're shooting prairie dogs. 

Overall shooting and not SASS? 9mm and 5.56/.223 hands down!

For SASS .38 spl rules the roost with .45 Colt coming in second.

I'd like to know where you got your info from.

56 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

I would have bet it was 22 LR.

Not on any range that I've been on, except where kids are practicing rifle marksmanship.

7 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Not on any range that I've been on, except where kids are practicing rifle marksmanship.

Our range holds very popular .22 Matches every other Tuesday.  We do Factory and Custom categories, (Anschutz, Remington 40X, Winchester 52 and purely custom built).  Ammo for the Custom Guns is not cheap, but it is fun.

19 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I read his question as being for all shooting, not SASS, not on the range. 

Recently, I had a customer pay me in partial, with a big plastic bag of range brass.
There was a huge number of 223, followed closely by 45 ACP and 9mm.
One or two 300 mag, half a dozen 30-06 and maybe a dozen of 38/357.

I gave everything to my neighbor except the '06 and 38/357.. have no need for the rest of it.
I was astounded at how much 223, 45, 9mm was discarded by range shooters.

1 hour ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

I read his question as being for all shooting, not SASS, not on the range.

So did I.   And since I don't get out to everyone's sand pit plinking spots, but I do shoot on several public and even some private ranges, my "survey results" came mostly from seeing what folks are shooting on rifle and pistol ranges of all types.

Kinda hard to compare centerfire ammo to rimfire ammo volumes, unless you can get the ammo manufacturers to give you production numbers, which right now they are particularly "shy" about providing.  CF brass gets picked over pretty quickly, so you really have to see it hit the ground.  RF brass goes largely to trash cans, if picked up at all.

SASS .... it has to be 30/30 Winchester

Umm, almost NEVER even shot for SASS matches, let alone left behind after shooting.

good luck, GJ

At my previous club they also held 3 gun and 1 other type of modern match (IDPA?). The amount of 9 and 223 brass left was unbelievable.  1 guy counted his 223 brass by how many 5 gallon buckets he had.

Sorry guys, my mistake. The research I did turned out to be most popular hunting calibers, .243, 270 and 30/30.    

9 hours ago, Highwall said:

Sorry guys, my mistake. The research I did turned out to be most popular hunting calibers, .243, 270 and 30/30.    

Okay that makes much more sense. :)

7 Win magnum and .300 Win Magnum would be on that list in the West

But 30-06 is ALWAYS on anyone's hunting gun list in America

good luck, GJ

2 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

7 Win magnum and .300 Win Magnum would be on that list in the West

But 30-06 is ALWAYS on anyone's hunting gun list in America

good luck, GJ

this ^^^^^

Don't know anyone who hunts here in Colorado who doesn't have a 30-06.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I believe that where .22LR wins is that when folks shoot a .22 they probably fire a lot of rounds compared to pretty much any of the more expensive centerfire calibers. 

Seamus

18 months ago, folks were firing 9mm because it was cheaper than most .22

Things change kinda quick when 100 Million folks are shooting.

good luck, GJ

30/30 has always been quite popular in Kansas since white tail is about as big as game gets. I Had a 6mm Ruger #1 years back and bagged a few deer with that. When I was young I hunted coyotes with 30/30 in a Wichita international handgun and a .222 Rem in a 14 inch Thompson Contender. What was cool about the 30/30 was since it was a single shot firearm I could load spear point bullets and get much better accuracy.  

30/06 and upwards seems a bit overboard for us here on the plains where there are no bears, moose, elk or Jersey Devils etc.:rolleyes:

In Ohio we can only hunt with straight walled cartridges or shotgun. The most popular I assume would be .44mag or 12 gauge slugs. 

50 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

In Ohio we can only hunt with straight walled cartridges or shotgun. The most popular I assume would be .44mag or 12 gauge slugs. 

• 45-70 Government.
  • 444 Marlin.
  • 375 Winchester.
  • 357 Magnum.
  • 44 Magnum.
  • 450 Bushmaster.
  • 350 Legend.
  • It's not that bad of a selection. Go for it!  Hollow points will make a difference!

i think - i do not know it - that the deer hunters out there outnumber the rest of the shooters , im sure there are a lot of deer hunters amidst us here so ill just leave it at that , 

Rimfire ... 22lr

Center fire ... 38 Spl

Ideal Molds since the turn of the century, produced the largest number of CF’s and the largest number of Ideal molds for sale on EBay are 38;Spl’s and the same on the forums 

On 4/23/2021 at 10:16 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

.30-30 for SASS??:rolleyes:

I used my dad's .30-30 for years as my long range lever gun. I just retired it and bought a Winchester 94 in .38-55 and Marlin 1895 in .45-70.

On 4/26/2021 at 7:17 PM, Highwall said:
  • 45-70 Government.
  • 444 Marlin.
  • 375 Winchester.
  • 357 Magnum.
  • 44 Magnum.
  • 450 Bushmaster.
  • 350 Legend.
  • It's not that bad of a selection. Go for it!  Hollow points will make a difference!

38-55 - perfect for deer

Archived