SASS Wire Forum

Ball Caps

What is your current favorite (non-political) ball cap??

“You know Deets is like me - he's not one to quit on a garment just because it's got a little age." - spoken by Augustus McCrae ― Larry McMurtry, Lonesome Dove

eWXwSF.jpg

I suspect many of us here have a favorite Ball Cap that we wear from time-to-time. 

Here's mine.  Wear it more than any other cap I have.

IVsJBI.jpg

Screenshot_20210422-205739.png

The only one I wear, and that rarely anymore, is one I got for free from Coonie's Explosives and Black Powder.  On one mixed order they messed it up and sent 2 cans of FFFFg instead of 2 cans of FFg along with the 23 pounds of Fg.  Called them, they told me to keep the FFFFg and they would send, no charge, the FFg.  They sent FFFg.  Called them.  They said keep it. Sent the FFg and a free ball cap.  The only reason I wear it is because it folds up nicely and doesn't take up much space in the cab of the truck - well car, now. Usually wear it when it rains to keep the water off my glasses.

If I'm going to wear a hat, I'll wear a HAT, not a cap.

Don't  wear a ball cap. I like to wear a hat. Besides I look even more stupid in a ball cap. I put one one years ago, looked in the mirror, said "nope".

My hats...

D594E43D-00BD-4239-92D0-D384CBBC1A38.thumb.jpeg.e64fd08fac3fdd412cfe3c7546760e3d.jpeg

EDIT:

I usually never wear a hat of any kind. 
On rainy and in the winter I may wear a hat and if it’s cool or cold I wear a Outback crushable felt wool hat. 

The USS Virginia hat that is in the photo is almost brand new. My old one vanished. I think I left it at the shooting range and someone liked it and kept it. I have pretty much stopped wearing it due to the constant “Thank you for your service” compliments. While I do appreciate it, it sometimes seems as if they think they are obligated to say it, which I find uncomfortable. 
My special hat is from the USS Constitution. I got that on my July 4th turnaround cruise aboard the Constitution in 2019.

The Smith & Wesson hat is just a hat. 

The camo Rifle Supply hat is the first hat I have found in years that is a light color and doesn’t have damned country-boy hick rolled up bill already built in. I hate that crap. Some butthead decided everybody wants to look like they swill cheap beer and sit on their butt in the back of a pickup truck at a demolition derby with a stupid temple crushing brim in their hat. My head ain’t made for it and it impedes my vision

I never wore a hat unless it was bitter cold weater,  then it was a heavy stocking cap.  As my hear thinned,  I started to wearing a hat. The cap I chose was a train engineer cap.   I'd put a cap on and people would bust out laughing!  "You look so funny with a hat on.", they'd say. Almost a universal first impression.  They got use to it. 

I guess my head is too oddly shaped to keep a ball cap on my head. It usually worms its way up in back and pops off my head. I do like a cowboy hat when I'm in the mood. Not fond of the cattleman style though.

The one I currently wear the most. The Troopers are a Drum Corps International (DCI) drum corps that honors the 11th Ohio Cavalry, that was stationed in Wyoming during the Indian Wars. My youngest daughter got it for me, and I retired my Beretta hat my father-in-law got me that I wore on civilian clothes missions during deployment.

E73C4DBA-0C59-44C3-A9E1-D1B3EC2915E3.jpeg

Never been a hat guy.  I've got a big noggin, which usually makes me an exception to the "one size fits all" ball cap rule.

If its snowing and I'm blowin' snow, I love my Boss of the Plains cowboy hat; the wide brim is killer.

If I'm sailing, and the mood strikes me, I'll sometimes get some relief from the sun with one of these German seaman's caps.  I tend to be a non-conformist.

LL

s-l300.jpg

20210423_190701.thumb.jpg.4064c384083dd116add0bf8cbca98145.jpgThese are some of the hats I wear. The 2 ship that's are the ships I served on, the other Navy hats are because I'm proud of those passages, Quigley and Mariners are for fun.

23 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

U.S.M.C.  soft cover. In black.

eMarine PX: Utility Covers

The Marine Corps was smart enough to keep the WW2 cover and not  adopt THE STUPID OD BALLCAP THAT THE ARMY DID IN THE 60s. HIDEOUS THING. 
Yes, I’m yelling. 

4 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Never been a hat guy.  I've got a big noggin, which usually makes me an exception to the "one size fits all" ball cap rule.

If its snowing and I'm blowin' snow, I love my Boss of the Plains cowboy hat; the wide brim is killer.

If I'm sailing, and the mood strikes me, I'll sometimes get some relief from the sun with one of these German seaman's caps.  I tend to be a non-conformist.

LL

s-l300.jpg

Wow!  That reminds me ... for a few years I wore a "Greek Fisherman's Cap" whenever I was out in the sun or rain.
Aegean Unisex Cotton Greek Fisherman's Cap at Amazon Men's Clothing store

I have a bakers dozen or more. I like these best.

D92B8D25-4463-41A3-BB5D-F50230DA6B58.jpeg

3 hours ago, The Blarney Kid said:

20210423_190701.thumb.jpg.4064c384083dd116add0bf8cbca98145.jpgThese are some of the hats I wear. The 2 ship that's are the ships I served on, the other Navy hats are because I'm proud of those passages, Quigley and Mariners are for fun.

I like that Shellback hat. I need one of those. :)

11 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Wow!  That reminds me ... for a few years I wore a "Greek Fisherman's Cap" whenever I was out in the sun or rain.
Aegean Unisex Cotton Greek Fisherman's Cap at Amazon Men's Clothing store

I had an English professor in college that always wore one when outdoors. He taught a course on Shakespeare that made me appreciate the Bard even more. I truly enjoyed the class. Also in the course with me was one of my fraternity brothers who was prior service in the Army. One day in class, out of the blue he starts talking about the Ranger School at Ft. Benning and the various signs there during the Vietnam Era. John, my fraternity brother just slowly turns his head to look at me, a look of utter disbelief on his face. I'm sure mine was the same. After, I realized he always walked like one thinks a soldier should, almost but not quite like he is ready for the parade ground, and moving with a purpose. He always had a hat on outdoors. His age was spot on for the time. I never did ask, because I was just a little intimidated by him, even though he was an amazingly nice guy. I still wonder, though. At any rate, whenever I see a Greek Fisherman's Cap, I think of Dr. Prindle.

On 4/22/2021 at 6:13 PM, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

What is your current favorite (non-political) ball cap??

“You know Deets is like me - he's not one to quit on a garment just because it's got a little age." - spoken by Augustus McCrae ― Larry McMurtry, Lonesome Dove

eWXwSF.jpg

I suspect many of us here have a favorite Ball Cap that we wear from time-to-time. 

IVsJBI.jpg

And most people have no clue what it means. ;)

On 4/22/2021 at 5:13 PM, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:
5 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

IVsJBI.jpg

5 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

And most people have no clue what it means. ;)

That’s true, Bob.   I'm a dinosaur. 

The American Eagle Rising

The Wreath of Victory

The Two Arrows of Military Art & Science.

Here are a few that I have hanging in my home office. From top left to bottom right:
My Army beret (sorry @Utah Bob #35998);

Patrol cap;

The Beretta cap previously mentioned;

Boonie hat;

30+ year old fraternity hat (you can't really see the Greek letters on it);

Finally, a hat that was a gift from Mrs. Doc and my daughters. On the front it says "EVEN MY HENCHMEN THINK I'M CRAZY" and on the back "I'M NOT SURPRISED THAT YOU'D AGREE." They're lyrics from a humorous song called Skullcrusher Mountain, and is sort of an inside joke.

Yes, that is a Troopers flag to the right. I'm not that enamored with the Cavalry otherwise.

Hats.jpeg

Archived