SASS Wire Forum

Are dairy cows supposed to look starved?

Alpo

This is just one of several that appear to be offered for sale. They're brood cows. And they're washed and all clean and shiny, and their tails are combed out.

And I was thinking that if that was a horse or a dog the SPCA would be called.

Regancrest-G-Brizelda-gs.png

Yes, dairy cattle look thin.  The owners want cow feed to be converted into milk, not muscle or fat on the cow.  A dairy cow that gets fat loses money for the owner.

22 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

All I see is steak on the hoof.

More likely hamburger!

:D

Old dairy cattle go to McDonalds, mostly.

2 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

More likely hamburger!

Do the Cowboys herd them through the "drive" thru and order the Chicken McNuggets?

Yes. I asked this very question to friends who raise cattle...as the dairy barn was full of 'sway back' , skinny cows, and the beef barn was full of super solid animals.

The dairy cows hain job is to produce milk...so all they eat goes to that energy.

I thought it odd that they looked so unhealthy!!!

They are a completely different breed of cattle. (Several, Holstein,  Jersey,  mostly) They are not under fed. Just large frame and lean meat.   

A beef cow produces maybe 4 litres of milk a day. A milk cow average 26 litres a day.

Our local farmer breeds them with black Angus bull.  The calves are more beef than dairy. They are usually sold off after weaning rather than used for milking or beef breading.  MacDonald's 

Probably most of veal comes from daily calves.  

10 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

All I see is steak on the hoof.

LP,

You'll be chewing on that steak for some time. :(

I'll defer to those who have already posted regarding what a milk cow should look like, but that picture looks very weird, why does the cow have a flat back?  It's not the barn behind the cow, wrong color and too far away.   I think this was taken in front of a photo, with the barn and the background being the photo.  The brighter green "grass" in the front is probably fake and what are the front two legs standing on?  Whatever it is doesn't look natural.

You are both correct.  The cow is posed in a “standard” position with the front hooves slightly elevated, which swings the udder back for a better view.  Standardizing the pose permits better comparisons when  choosing cows for purchase from a catalog.  A straight back is considered a desirable characteristic in both dairy and beef breeds.  Now at this point I’m guessing and I stand to be corrected, but a straight back is probably correlated to breeding and calving ease, in contrast to a cow with skeletal deformities.

12 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

More likely hamburger!

Braums if you're close enough to Oklahoma B) Yum

4 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Where is Baxter Black when you need him for his vet opinion as opposed to his humor?

Counting his money, prolly.

:ph34r:

On 4/22/2021 at 8:48 PM, J-BAR #18287 said:

More likely hamburger!

My grandfather owned and operated a slaughter house and butcher shop that catered to beef lovers.  No dairy cows ever found their way into his operation.  They all went to the big processors to be fast food.

However, you can pull the backstrap and tenderloin, age it a bit and it is very fine eating.

Chick-Fillet sometimes have a cow (human in costume) dancing around outside their facility with a sign saying, "Eat more chicken!"  As if the cow is concerned about being used for meat.  Only trouble is the cow is a Holstein, a milk cow! :rolleyes:

Archived