SASS Wire Forum

Any Clubs mix wild bunch and regular match

Irish Pat

On 4/22/2021 at 4:39 PM, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

A couple clubs here tried it but gave up on it for various reasons.

One thing is be sure ROs are trained on the semi-auto procedures.

Exactly why our clubs does not allow it.

Not enough folks with the experience on issues that could happen.

I’m very impressed that there are so many progressive clubs in CAS Country that allow such a blasphemy. Shooting WB and cas together! At the same match! Good for you guys. We’re not NCOWS with their strict firearm and clothing parameters and with the oddball WB/sass categories we’re not reenactors either. Wether you admit it or not you are WASA/SASS. As I said in another thread, with the selling of Founders Ranch SASS is closer to it’s end than it’s beginning and with the political climate that we are moving toward it’s time to circle the wagons and get everyone inside, SASS, WASA, NCOWS, WB because if you squint your eyes we all like the same thing, shooting old guns and playing dressup. 

On 4/22/2021 at 6:39 PM, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

A couple clubs here tried it but gave up on it for various reasons.

One thing is be sure ROs are trained on the semi-auto procedures.

Our club hasn't had any shooters wanting to shoot WB.  At another club we go to monthly, they have a few shooters that choose to shoot the 1911 with 2 5 round clips.  The problem I see is with RO knowledge and training.  One RO will want to see the pistols is safe and empty on the line and another one doesn't.  I mentioned it and got a shoulder shrug.

As long as the slide is locked back and there’s nothing in the mag I personally would allow the gun to be holstered and carried to the unloading table but at ECSASS we ground the slide locked gun if there’s a long gun that has yet to be shot or drop mag, show clear, lower slide and drop the hammer if you’re all done shooting. Not a complicated or hard thing for the ro to do. 

• 2 weeks later...

HI y'all. First time posting. I shoot regular at 2 clubs up here in Northern Ohio, Firelands Peacemakers and Shenago River Rats.  I shoot WB and cowboy at both, pay twice, shoot twice and have a ball doing it. WB shoots the same scenario and round count as cowboy, just scored separately. I've also shoot at Henderson Wilds and Whitehorse, both in WV and they let me shoot both as well.

I gotta say, since getting into this sport, some of the friendliest and helpful people I've ever met.

As hard as it is to keep one 1911 running at times I’d rather not. John Smith from ‘Last Man Standing’ we are not. 

FE6DA8F7-6FB8-4DC7-BF28-0E6381387B11.jpeg

The Sandusky Co Regulators (Gibsonburg, OH) does a full WB match a couple times a year. At one of the matches last year there was a gentleman that shot Jose Wales, only used one pistol, but at a couple of the stages had to use 11 mags. Looked like a blast, gonna have to get myself a few more mags.

On 5/14/2021 at 1:05 PM, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Ya know, if I had a couple more 1911s I could shoot WB Josey Wales....hmmmm

Imis

The Ottawa Valley Marauders, Ruff's Regulators and the Wild Turkey Posse have done it a number of times.

CAS and WB using a different number of rounds for the same stage.

Shooter just declared what style they were shooting at the start of the match. 

Worked OK.

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen a couple of guys shoot Jossey Wales WB, only used 1 1911 but had a ton of mags. Thinking about giving it a try myself, just don't know if I have enough mags.

Josey Wales w/ a 1911... That would be fun to watch......

After I saw this first post back in April, I thought that the Pike category at some clubs sounded like fun,

so I proposed it at two of the Clubs I shoot at regularly.

We've shot it now at both Club's monthly shoots and it was very well received and went really smooth.

We had zero issues on every stage during the running of the matches.

Several more folks said they want to try it now too........

Here is a pdf copy of the Rules we made up for both Clubs,

PIKE Rules PDF.... 6:21.pdf

On 4/23/2021 at 10:09 PM, Waimea said:

Every 4th Sunday at the Hansen Range on Zemel Rd in beautiful Punta Gorda Florida.

And sometimes I REMEMBER to tell the pards with them odd looking guns to MAKE READY.

Sometimes not.

This is basically WASA’s Self loader category. Cas with a 1911. That’s what Carolina Schoolmarm call those 1911s, ‘funny guns’ as she always shoots SAs. Fun stuff.

Archived