SASS Wire Forum

Any Clubs mix wild bunch and regular match

Irish Pat

I would love to shoot my 1911 with say two magazines of five rounds each during a regular stage match instead of my vaqueros just to try it. I could handle five or six stages with ten rounds of 45 auto each stage fine but shooting five or six 7 round magazines per stage would cease being pleasure.  Anyone else ever considered this?  ☘️ Irish Pat

Yes, Sun River Rangers in Montana combine the two on the fourth Saturday of the month.  Round count for Wild bunch is normally 4- 7 round mags for a total of 28 rounds per stage.  Five or six  7 round mags (35-42 rounds) would be a lot, especially for the brass pickers:D

Talk to your match director. They co-mingle WB and CAS out here at the same match.

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

We let people shoot "Pike" at our club.  Shoot same scenario as everyone one else.  Can load pump at loading table. 

Do the exact same sort of "next door" to ya'll at Free State Rangers.  RO will treat it as Wild Bunch and check 1911 and call clear to holster.

Yes we absolutely invite any pike shooters to mix in with our cowboy shooters! I tried to pay twice and shoot both but wasn't allowed. But we love to see them bottom feeders LOL

Some clubs will.   Many clubs won't mess with such mixed matches.   Lots of reasons not to, hope you can figure out most of those yourself.   

Why don't we try to grow Wild Bunch rather than shrink both cowboy and WB? 

Or, you could favor the clubs that do mix them with your presence, money and time.   IE, vote with your match involvement.  If enough do, you might get wishes come true over time.

good luck, GJ

we do Wild Bunch along with Cody-Dixon (semi-long range rifle with pistol caliber and pistols shot on 'normal' rifle targets) 

also allow Wild Bunch Lite which means the wild bunch shooters follow the same instructions as the SASS shooters

and Cody-Dixon Lite where the shooter shoots the long range targets with the  rifle and same pistol targets as  SASS shooter

not hard to write (I do the writing)

attached is this Saturday;s Match booklet so you can see how this all fits on one page

4-24 Match Booklet-B-.pdf

Our club also has mixed WB and cowboy on occasions.   We're not big enough to have a separate WB match, so a couple of times a year we have a WB match for the 1911 crowd and the rest of us shoot it cowboy.

I shot at a local club last fall that wanted to try a cowboy/wild bunch shoot in the same event. It was a disaster! First due to the different round counts between the two shooting styles each stage had two different senerios. Some stages also needed a target adjustment between the two styles. The cowboy group shot first then the wild bunch group. There was about 15+ shooters in each of the two groups, but only one posse. There were 6 stages total, and after about 5 1/2 hours to complete 5 stages I had enough and left. I would not shoot a combined event like that again. It's like trying to hold a pitch and put golf match and a regular golf match at the same time. IMHO both events are interesting and fun as I have done both, but they should not be combined into one event. Now some clubs here do allow a modified wild bunch version into a CAS match in that you can only have 5 rounds in each of the two 1911 magazines, the shotgun cannot be loaded at the loading table in advance, and the stage targets are shot the same as the CAS folks. That runs smoothly.

We sometimes do a mixed match at our club. The Wild Bunch shooters will fire the same stage as the Cowboy shooters but we add that they have to additionally shoot the rifle targets with their handgun. It just adds 10 more rounds with their pistol and two extra reloads. We put up six shotgun targets for them and the Cowboy shooters only have to hit four of them.

We do it at the LINCOLN AREA REGULATORS Saturday shoots.

The firing order is EXACTLY the same as the stage book describes.

The WB-shooting guys load 5 round mags and chamber on the firing line after the buzzer.

I like shooting cowboy.  I like shooting Wild Bunch.  I think Wild Bunch is more fun when the differences between the two disciplines are emphasized.  When Wild Bunch transitioned from five rounds in the 1911 magazine I saw that as a positive change, but it also made it more difficult to have Wild Bunch and Cowboy shooters in a mixed posse.

I suppose this is another instance (like unofficial categories, Summer dress codes, and allowing adults to shoot .22s) in which clubs can meet the needs of its participants in monthly matches.

When we started shooting WB at first we mixed WB and cowboy. When they went to 7 rd mags we split them up. The match director sets the targets, the WB match director reads the target/gun order and modifies it to suit WB. Some targets are shot more than once, some not at all. No targets are removed or added. Last weekend we had two cowboy possees and one WB . Scoring is kept separate and causes almost no problems. We shoot just Cowboy on our Main Match the first sat of the month and Cowboy with WB on the third Sat of the month.

Imis

1 hour ago, Mustang Gregg said:

We do it at the LINCOLN AREA REGULATORS Saturday shoots.

The firing order is EXACTLY the same as the stage book describes.

The WB-shooting guys load 5 round mags and chamber on the firing line after the buzzer.

Plum Creek Shooting Society has been offering that on their Sunday matches.  They call it Wild Bunch Lite.  They also have regular WB matches.  I was at one where they combined regular WB and CAS in the same posse, and I did not care for that.  Too much to keep track of for the spotters.

• 2 weeks later...

So how do clubs that run these together cope with the idea that WB is really meant to be shot on more challenging target arrays?     Our WB match target set ups are WAY different to any CAS stage you'd have seen in the last 15 years...;)  (Distance, size etc)   Or are they literally shooting "CAS with a  1911"? 

We run WB and cas at the same monthly match with no problems. Just shot one in April, we had 9 WB and 9 cas shooters. Rifle and sg sequences are the same for both. WB loads everything at the loading table. For the first 10 pistol rds they are the same sequence for everyone too but WB shooters might have 5-10 more rounds to fire depending on the match director. We load 5 rds/magazine to help the spotters and shooters keep the shooting order right. We also allow DA’s at our monthly matches and allow shooters to load their sg’s with as many rds as needed for the stage ON the clock [WASA rules]. It’s a lot more fun to pump out a full magazine of 12 ga from your pump gun instead of loading one or two as a time. In all fairness it is the slower way to do your sg reloads but it’s a lot more exciting when you finally start shooting. 

In general, the target placement for wild Bunch does not mesh with target placement for cowboy.

Shooting a Wild Bunch power factor gun at Bordertown distances is not the best idea.

hi,

3 clubs locally, S. California, have Pike class every match.  1911s load w. 5 rds.  No issues.  WB shooters are bunched together in posses. 

No problem w. ROs clearing 1911s (what's hard about that?, same as USPSA or action pistol and most ROs are experienced semi-automatic shooters).

An old timer who used to shoot with us claimed that the Wild Bunch category was originally set up to shoot alongside regular SASS shooters (thus the 5 rd. magazine rule). 

Anybody know if that is true?

Anyhow, Pike/SASS works great, no problems. 

Adds a few new shooters.

2 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

In general, the target placement for wild Bunch does not mesh with target placement for cowboy.

Shooting a Wild Bunch power factor gun at Bordertown distances is not the best idea.

A 200 gr 45acp bullet only has to be doing 750 fps to make WB power factor. That's 249 fps SLOWER than the max velocity for COWBOY loads.:D 

Match directors that offer "Pike" class normally (and should) set targets appropriately.

Sounds like a great idea to call it Pike. Should be fun for folks shooting it and it exposes more shooters to 1911’s. 

This  version should not be called wild bunch because obviously it is not. It is however cowboy with a 1911 and that’s a good thing to run with a cowboy match. A real honest to gosh wild bunch match is by design a lot different. Don’t think so? Tell you what travel to the Texas Doughboys Wild Bunch Action shooting club and see the difference. We will pay you back 100% match fee plus another 50.00 cash if you can honestly say it’s the same as a cowboy match. 

5 hours ago, Banjo Bob said:

An old timer who used to shoot with us claimed that the Wild Bunch category was originally set up to shoot alongside regular SASS shooters (thus the 5 rd. magazine rule). 

Anybody know if that is true?

That is correct... At least thats what we did here in N. Texas

But remember before SASS got involved in WB, every Club had their own rules........

so what was the norm here may have been completely different somewhere else.

I like the Pike category idea.... I think I'll bring it up at the Clubs I shoot at...... ;)

There used to be a couple of pards up at Cajon that would bring two sets of guns and leather and shoot both persuasions, Pike and CAS and they were even able to carry out some posse chores too. Mad Dog Mark and Long Swede did it a few times and if I recall correctly Mark did it down at Escondido too. The MD, Rustler, shoots WB along side us with the Bandidos also and it works very well. The only complaints that I’ve heard were from the brass pickers, it really isn’t that big of a deal and if it keeps people coming to the matches, who cares?

I know that the match directors at West End, Hole In The Wall, and Panorama Sportsman's Club, all here in Southern California, have courteous;y allowed me to shoot Wild Bunch at their regular cowboy matches on occasion.  5 rounds in the mags; shotgun can be stoked.  Any target can be shot with the 1911, if the shooter is feeling especially frisky.  Scoring is separate, of course.

It's great fun, no annoyance to other shooters, and a different way to have fun!

Cheers,

FJT

IMG_9940.JPG

IMG_9941.JPG

Firelands Peacemakers has WB at the monthly, they’re scored separately not part of main scores.

Our club has its own Wild Bunch variant that works pretty well at monthlies.  WB shooter uses a revolver and a 1911. Basically the 1911 replaces the second pistol and reloads with at least one additional magazine, sometimes two. 

https://www.thss.org/rules/thss-wild-bunch-rules/

We have done this several times.

The WB shooter can stoke the shotgun and load 5 rounds magazines.  Then shoot only rifle targets or both rifle and pistol.  

Yes they are scored differently.

Two points, make sure the TO is WB certified and warn the spotters (who have never seen WB).

BTW, doing so may bring in some new WB shooters and this also encourages the use of 22LR and other semi-autos.

Archived