SASS Wire Forum

Why Do Car Dealers Make Buying a Car Such a Miserable Experience?

Before I retired I never kept a car more than a year.  Some less than a month.  I was car BROKE.  After I retired I have kept them longer but finally decided to trade in my eight year old car for something with blind spot assist and a few other safety measures.  GADZOOKS!!!  They are still playing the same old PIA games even though the Internet has made it harder for them.  Went to look at an el cheapo Honda CRV.  $29,995 MSRP.  Yet the dealer had $5000.00 of ad-ons on their supplementary price label.  Great stuff like nitrogen in the tires, the desert protection package and clear plastic door edge guards.  As soon as I go on a lot and see that crap I turn around and leave.  Toyota was much better.  Only $2,400.00 worth of nitrogen on their label.

6 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Car dealers don't make much money on the cars themselves. They make it off the crap you just mentioned.

Yep that's what the salesman told me.  He also said he believes Kamala has control of the border.

Used cars, I think, bring better lot prices (read dealer profit) than new cars but where they get you on new cars are the add ons and the fees and the small charges and of course the financing if you go through the dealer.

I usually buy a used vehicle every 12 or 15 years. I can't stomach dealerships. I hate the sales tax and high property tax, it's all a big pain in the ass. Car buying sucks every which way that exists.

^^^^^^^

Another thing that is interesting right now is that a lot of car lots are very low on inventory.  Oddly this is not being caused by covid but by a lack of computer chips.  Which is a problem with modern cars.  Many have upwards of 80 microprocessors in them.  Repairing these can be difficult and extremely expensive.  So a new car with a warranty does have some appeal.

I don’t buy new, someone else can take the deprecation when they drive it off the Dealership’s lot.

Bought a two year old Honda CRV.   Told the Salesman up front the price we agree upon (plus sales tax) will be the final price, no add ons.  Manager did try to push an extended warranty.  Told him why do I need an extended warranty for a car I was just told was the best reliable one in the market.  :D  This car will last me 10 years or when the kids take our licenses away from us

I used to buy nothing but used cars as I could never afford a new one. Unfortunately people simply do not take very good care of their vehicles, and by the time I'd be looking at it on the used car lot ten years later the engine would be prematurely shot. Once I even bought a used truck where the dealer had put sawdust in the crankcase to stop it from blowing oil long enough to trick a sucker (me) into buying it. In the end you're better off buying new, or else leasing it if you're the kind who likes to switch rides every few years. If you do buy used, then get one that's only 2-3 years old that the last guy hadn't had a chance to ruin yet.

1 minute ago, Matthew Duncan said:

I don’t buy new, someone else can take the deprecation when they drive it off the Dealership’s lot.

Bought a two year old Honda CRV.   Told the Salesman up front the price we agree upon (plus sales tax) will be the final price, no add ons.  Manager did try to push an extended warranty.  Told him why do I need an extended warranty for a car I was just told was the best reliable one in the market.  :D  This car will last me 10 years or when the kids take our licenses away from us

That is what I am thinking.  I should get something nice because this will be my last one.:(

I will only go to CarMax now.  There is no BS.  None of that haggling back and forth.  None of the "Let me go check with my manager" BS.  The price is the price.  They are equally great on buying cars.  They check the car over top to bottom and give you a price.  They have always been higher than expected from my own fair assessment of the car, and sometimes significantly higher than other factory dealers have offered me.

Some of our first new cars we bought was from the local International Harvester dealer. We bought a Scout II then traided it in on another.  The old guy that ran the dusty place looked like an old hoot owl.  Big watery eyes and had a big cigar clinched deep in his brown teeth.  We'd talk and he'd write. We'd ask price.  He'd ignore the question.  He'd call Sawmill Mary "Missy" that would infuriate her.  She hated the man.  He'd finally turn the paperwork around to show us the figures.  They were better than I was going to try to negotiate.  Deal done in about 10 minutes both times.

We went into a Oldsmobile dealership wanting to test drive a car.  We were ascended on by a couple of salesmen and a financial manager.   First things first. They warned our credit application approved before we could test drive the car.  Hell no, we didn't let the screen door hit us on the way out.

Years back when the mini-vans came out,  they were very popular and in short supply for a couple of years.  We looked at one and it was jacked up with dealer installed pin strips and Scorch guard and undercoat.   The bottom line. Our car and sticker price MSRP.  No. Went straight to our local dealer and he only had one in stock. It was a more deluxe model but made us a much better offer.   The next afternoon I went to a small town dealership that was famous for making deals all over the region. They didn't have it in but one coming.  Tested our trade and made a Xerox of the window sticker of the van coming in.  Wrote down their allowance for our trade and signed it.  $7,000 difference from first dealership to last!

Do your research before you go car shopping.  Then do some window shopping to decide what you really like and can afford.  Test drive and if you like it go for the deal.  Be willing to walk away from the table too.  I walked twice before purchasing my new  2021 Honda Passport which I totally love by the way!!!

The last vehicle we bought (not mine) we shopped around and wound up going to Texas to buy. Used of course. But ALL THE USED LOTS IN TEXAS had much lower prices on the vehicle we were looking to buy than anywhere in our home state. Lower prices all the way around by 5-8K on the same if not higher end model! Seems I will not be buying local ever again. Ah, Texas. :D

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Before I retired I never kept a car more than a year.  Some less than a month.  I was car BROKE.  After I retired I have kept them longer but finally decided to trade in my eight year old car for something with blind spot assist and a few other safety measures.  GADZOOKS!!!  They are still playing the same old PIA games even though the Internet has made it harder for them.  Went to look at an el cheapo Honda CRV.  $29,995 MSRP.  Yet the dealer had $5000.00 of ad-ons on their supplementary price label.  Great stuff like nitrogen in the tires, the desert protection package and clear plastic door edge guards.  As soon as I go on a lot and see that crap I turn around and leave.  Toyota was much better.  Only $2,400.00 worth of nitrogen on their label.

I’m a bit (read that as a big one) of a wise a$$ I probably would’ve said what’s the price if you take the nitrogen out?

5 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I’m a bit (read that as a big one) of a wise a$$ I probably would’ve said what’s the price if you take the nitrogen out?

That's why this is so laughable.  Regular old air is 78% nitrogen in the first place.

I bought Ford Flex in Jan because they only had one key that was taped up

they sold me tire and key coverage 

the key fob fails and the unlock button did not work after a month 

I order a blank  and cut the key myself 

I go to file a claim  they tell me since I did  not get 2 keys my coverage is  No good 

Back to the dealer for refund of coverage  .. he remember me and the salesmen telling me about how great the tire and key crap it .. he did give me  full refund 

and cause i like to suffer I'm shopping for new F-150 now 

CA we are screwed 9% sales tax on all car new or used 

I told the guy who wrote up the contract  looks like the Gov  will make more off this car that you will... OH yes 

I have bought my last 2 cars over the internet. Most dealers now have one or two salesmen who do nothing but internet sales. I only had to go to the dealer to sign and drive away. And one car I didn’t even cross their threshold. They delivered it. I don’t anticipate ever going to a dealer again except for service.

Like @Yazoo City Galsaid, figure out what you want and do your research. I am one to buy new. I buy new because I want to hold on to what I buy. I have a 2002 Chevy S10 ZR2 and a 2007 Suburban we bought new and still have. I have only bought one used car since the early 90’s. A 2006 Mazda Miata that was in pristine condition with only 26,000 miles last year. 

Research what you want. Read reviews and know exactly what options you want or don’t want. The more info you have the less they can BS you. 
Another thing I do is walk in a say exactly what I am looking for and I also tell them I don’t want their “extras”. They will usually say “That’s too bad, we can’t remove them.”

That’s when I say “Thank you very much, have a nice day.” And leave. 
I guarantee that those add-ons become completely negotiable by the time you get to you car.  
Also, learn what other dealers are charging and don’t be afraid to bring it up. 
Buying a car can be a terrible experience or a good experience. I have found they are pretty good experiences when I go in educated. I have bought many new cars and motorcycles. 
Also, if you are financing the car get your financing in order before going to the dealer and never tell them how high your bank has approved or they will work to get it all. 
Also, it’s hard not to, but try not to look at the car sales folks as “the enemy”. They are trying to earn a living selling cars. You want a car, they want to sell you a car. Just lay it out there as to what you want and let them work to make you happy. 

Good luck and I hope you find what you want at a fair price. 

We just bought a new CR-V hybrid and I had to work hard to get no add ons and 11% off msrp.  Used cars are stupid high right now and new cars aren’t as bad but with parts shortages are getting there, so especially with a Honda better off buying new now.

We recently rented a Hyundai Sonata POS.  Fortunately,  I didn't have to drive it. Unfortunately,  I had to ride in it.  Road noise was awful.  Ride was like it had wooden wheels and no suspension.   It had comfortable room inside. 

The next morning Sawmill Mary listed off all the stupid features.  Seems if you stopped for so long, the engine shut down.  She had instructions on the override button but didn't realize you had to use it ever time you used it.  Another was trying to use the cruise control. She finally figured out how to get it set.  But when she started to cruise past a truck on the devided highway,  the cruise control shut down - apparently because it sensed another vehicle too close.  On and on. 

If "new to you" is good enough, go-to carmax; best experience I've ever had including the one when my wife bought me a new FJ back in '07.  Seriously, try carmax.

The chip shortage is affecting the new car availability. A 1-3 year old vehicle can be a good buy, unless it is a popular model, then it may make sense to buy new since it hasn't depreciated much. A fleet/internet salesperson can give you a good deal without much of the bs you may experience with a regular salesperson. I have no personal experience with the Internet only sales companies, but some folks like them.

I have owned 34 personal vehicles since 1980.  The actual buying at the dealer is much easier now if they have the high-tech desk with the built in computer.

I also do my prep work and carry a financial calculator or app.  I typically know more about the vehicle and financing than the salesmen, which I use to leverage the deal.

It can still be a pain, but the exit door is your best tool.

If at all possible rent the model you are thinking about buying for a week and then drive it.

Way back in my Navy days, my position required a lot of travel so I rented and drove a lot of cars. A select few I really liked, most I was indifferent to and some I hated. 

23 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

If at all possible rent the model you are thinking about buying for a week and then drive it.

Way back in my Navy days, my position required a lot of travel so I rented and drove a lot of cars. A select few I really liked, most I was indifferent to and some I hated. 

Very good recommendation. That’s how I ended up buying a Mazda GLC back in 83. It was a “great little car”.

I hate car shopping that might be why my daily driver is a 2007 and the pickup truck I’m having towed Friday is a 1998

I have bought 4 cars from Carmax. I have had horrible experiences with dealerships, one as recent as 2 years ago. Never make that mistake again. Carmax

Imis 

58 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Sawmill Mary had a business trip to Scottsdale Arizona one time.  We flew out.  The rental car place didn't have the car she rented so they gave us a Buick Roadmaster. Now that's a car!  We drove up to Flagstaff, the Grand Canyon,  and back around through Prescott.  What a comfortable car with great power and AC. 

When I turned 50, I decided I was going to have me a Roadmaster.  They were out of print by that time but I hunted around and found a beauty.   It had been literally a little old man's car that spent most of its time in a garage.  His hairs traided it in on something.  It was a Grand Touring model with every comfort option like 12 way power seats on both sides. 

Most comfortable car I ever drove was a Chrystler 300. Excellent seats with the most adjustment I have ever found. Could put the seat all the way back and my toes couldn't reach the firewall (I'm 6 foot tall) yet the telescopic steering wheel came back far enough to drive comfortably.

Drove from China Lake CA to Southaven MS in just a little over 2 days with zero road fatigue.

I learned something:  NEVER work with the vultures than hang around the front of the dealership.
Work with the "fleet" manager or the "internet" manager.
Their commissions are not based on selling price, but based simply on moving a sale.

My bride had me find a new RAV4 that she wanted.
I did it with the "internet" manager.
Told him it was a cash purchase, no bullshit, and give me his best cash price.
We were 100% satisfied with the no-bull process, and the selling price.

Back in 2019 I received a most generous inheritance. For a few decades prior to that the wife and I had driven used vehicles of varying levels of dependency. For about 10 years prior we had been driving a well worn F-150 that was rapidly approaching the point of costing more and more to keep it running.  

So we decided to splurge a bit and get a brandy-new F-150 with a few whistles and bells.  So we did some research, decided on a trim level and color and headed for the local dealer. I walked in and told the salesman that approached us "If you have a new F-150 Lariat in Magma Red with the front center console, we'll buy it, paying cash, otherwise we're going somewhere else!"  Lo and behold they had one! It had 4wheel drive which while not necessary for us was a nice option to have. Even then it still took us over 4 hours to drive it off the lot!!

One of my best friends is a car salesman, the owner and him and most of the staff there are gun folks. There’s a bunch of them carry. It’s a Buick/GMC dealership. I never have a problem buying a car, I trade mine in about every 4 years and take it there for service. I’m one of the lucky ones I guess. ;)

I tend to get attached to my vehicles and not get rid of them until they are ready for salvage or Mrs. Doc tells me I have to. As a result, I have a 2002 Dodge Neon R/T that I have to repair some body damage on, and a 2008 Toyota Tundra that is in the same condition. Interestingly, none of the damage on either was caused by me. :( Oh, I also have my mother-in-law's 2003 PT Cruiser that she gave me as a gift right before she passed. It also needs some work. If it had not belonged to her, I would sell it.

At any rate, my experiences at dealerships have been all over the board. In the past few years Mrs. Doc bought a Subaru WRX, and my youngest daughter bought a Forester, both from the same saleslady at the same dealership. Susan is awesome, and my oldest daughter is looking at a Subaru in the not so distant future, and has already been in touch with her. If and when I look for a new vehicle, I will look at Subaru first, simply because of the dealership and Susan. 

I should mention I drove my youngest car shopping to different dealerships. Susan was the first salesperson who, when told "It's her money, her purchase and her decision," put her focus on my daughter and not on me.

Archived