SASS Wire Forum

What Rifle would Dominate in a theoretical 10-10-5-4 style match

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

This is purely speculation and nothing more.

But if we were to add a second rifle to the typical stage, shooting 5 rounds from a rifle that the cartridges are not compatible with pistols, which rifle/caliber would likely come to dominate the selection?

My own guess as to what would come to dominate:   The Winchester 76 in .45-60.

My reasoning is pretty simple.  The 73 dominates the main match.  The 76 is just a giant 73.   It would not be long before people figured out how to short stroke them and give them the same enhancements as the 73's have.   Caliber would likely be .45-60 because it's probably the easiest caliber in that gun to reload for.  And even if you can't find brass, you can trim back .45-70 cases to the proper length and be good to go.

The second most common gun, in my guestimate, would be the Winchester 94 in .30-30, just because there are so many of them out there to begin with.

Or do you think something else would rise to the top for some reason?  There are a LOT of rifles and calibers to potentially choose from.

35 minutes ago, Irish-Pat said:

Marlin 30-30 or 45-70. There are a lot more of them around than 1876 uberti s 

True.

But would the demand for 76's suddenly increase, causing Uberti to make more of them?  

Here's another odd wrinkle.   Would pards who like the 73 gravitate to the 76, 92 shooters the 86, and so on and so forth?

Marlin 336s and Winchester 94s would be popular just because of the sheer number of them. 

A 1876 with the theoretical short stroke would likely be the ultimate "gamer" rifle but I suspect the length of the 45-60 cartridge would limit how short the short stroke could actually be.

I personally would use a smoothed up Winchester 1886.

Actually, I'd prefer to push it to 10 - 10 - 5 - 6.  For those with latent Gamer tendencies, the Go - To Rifle would be the 1876.  Uberti would probably build a few more for us.  1886 would be next in line right along with a Fish.

July:  The limit of the short stroke is not determined by cartridge length.  It's determined by geometry required for the Links to move the bolt.  The action already has enough travel for the cartridge.  No Problemo.  

The '86 and the Fish just need polishing up and the usual springs (They ALL need Spring work).  It'd sure be FUN!!

Whatever I could find.

I'm game!

Sounds like a GREAT idea.

When do we start?

:D

2 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

30-40 Krag, smoothest bolt ever, period correct.

Heh heh.   Okay.   I'd have no problem with the Krag.    I'd like to use my Winchester 95 in that same caliber.

But in all truth, I'd prolly wind up using my large frame Lightning.

28 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Actually, I'd prefer to push it to 10 - 10 - 5 - 6.  For those with latent Gamer tendencies, the Go - To Rifle would be the 1876.  Uberti would probably build a few more for us.  1886 would be next in line right along with a Fish.

July:  The limit of the short stroke is not determined by cartridge length.  It's determined by geometry required for the Links to move the bolt.  The action already has enough travel for the cartridge.  No Problemo.  

The '86 and the Fish just need polishing up and the usual springs (They ALL need Spring work).  It'd sure be FUN!!

Why 6 for the shotgun?   But more importantly, Fish?

15 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Why 6 for the shotgun?   But more importantly, Fish?

6 shotgun is always better than 4 shotgun.

Fish? No idear.

:D

I would venture the Marlin 336 in 30-30 or 38-55 (depending on range fired) - faster action than the  Win 94, much quicker to manage than a 1876 (these are LARGE, the 1886 would even be better than it)

I would go with an 1893 Marlin in 32-40 (because I have one.). It’s smoother than the Win M94 in 30-30 or the Win M95 in 30-40 Krag.   

——- 2nd rifle?

..............Win94 in .30-30

OR

............. Marlin in .45-70

Those are largely common calibers generally and for SASS.  Decent SASS loads may be used (or quickly developed) for both rifle rounds.  We are speaking of ALL shooters now:

.....MANY of those SASS shooters cannot or will not want, to expand their loading regimens to calibers many or most aren’t already familiar with (at least a little bit).  Some may already have the gear to load those rounds.....maybe.  I believe that “coming out of nowhere” with a round (.45-60) unfamiliar to most folks will not seed the interest of a significant number of those people.  

Forcing an unfamiliar cartridge on shooters likely ain’t gonna shoehorn other’s interests into their reloading rooms.

That is my take on it anyway.

Cat Brules

Pedersoli 1886 45/70. 

Its going to be my Pat Garret gun.

Not sure if you guys do this but we already run the shoot you are talking about and its a side match at most of our State comps.

1866-4.JPG

Cat makes a good point about calibers that are already familiar.   That would make a lot of sense, and it would also more than likely mean that .30-30 and 45-70 would be the most prolific calibers.  Based on what I've seen said on the Wire here over the years, I think .38-55 might come in third.   As to what GUNS will fire those cartridges, well, there were Winchester, Marlin and others for all of them.   Other calibers, and the rifles that shoot that shoot them, will probably show up from time to time, the same way that things other than Colt/Ruger and .38 and .45 do.

It's interesting to see all the different thoughts on this subject.

I shoot Cody Dixon a lot in Texas. I started with a Marlin 1895 in 45-70, then a Win 94 in 38-55. Big improvement. Then a Marlin 336 in 38-55 which I think is ideal. Some shoot CD with a 30-30, but I don’t think that’s ideal, as it does not make much sound or rattle the target like a 45-70 or even a 38-55. 
my Win 76 in 45-60 is a fine rifle, but a tad heavy. 

Other rifle should be single-shot.  High Walls would likely dominate.

If a repeater, then I would look for a Remington Keene, Winchester Hotchkiss  or Mauser 1871 for style points.

On 4/21/2021 at 3:38 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Kinda not a cartridge that is not compatible with pistols...

45-70 & 30-30 are current caliber selections for the Magnum Research BFR.  In keeping with SASS rifle restrictions: 1) 1st production before 1900, 2) has external hammer, 3) chambered in a caliber available before 1900

3 hours ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

A Marlin 336 in  .444  Easily loaded down for comfortable loads, uses a larger bullet so edge hit probabilities go up, .429 diameter works with a .429 bullet so you can use what you have on hand potentially.

Except that .444 is not a CAS caliber

I am going to go with Constable Nelson with this, but I would like a shotgun boogie short stroke kit, palo verde leather wrap, slick's marble sight in 38-55. I may go with my 94 Wincherster.

Archived