SASS Wire Forum

USPS Rant

Rye Miles #13621

I tracked a package that was sent by Wolff Springs. The tracking said "No access to delivery", I have no fences or barriers of any kind. I went to the PO yesterday and asked about it. She said the carrier has the package and it would be delivered that day. I get an email this morning that says "Package delivered April 20 at 8:30pm" NO PACKAGE HERE! I called the local PO and she's going to look for the package and hold it there so I can pick it up. When I told her the email said it was delivered at 8:30pm yesterday she said that was impossible the carriers are back in way before then.

Does anyone know what the heck they're doing at USPS?? This is NOT the first time I've had problems! We haven't had a steady postman for about 5 years, it's always someone different almost daily! The mail comes in the morning or afternoon or as late as 7:00 pm! Grrrrr........:angry:

RANT OVER!

I don't think that there is any full time mail delivery people anymore. There is some that are at the post office itself as far as I can tell. Last week, I took several packages (all flat rate boxes) to the post office. One of them weighed about 40 lbs. At the end of the transaction, she handed me the receipt and asked me to take a survey about her performance.....then proceeded to drop the 40 lb package into the large rollaround mail basket from an approximate height of 4'. I didn't take the "survey" as it's just a ruse to get your Email address so they can bombard it with nonsense.

I also sold a bunch of stuff on the Classifieds. Checks were sent from all over the country, including Alaska. The check from Alaska took 4 days (including A Sunday) to get to my location in Florida. Checks from California were here in 5 days, checks from Texas took a week and a check from South Carolina took 8 days. There doesn't seem to by any pattern to mail/package delivery times. I personally think it is due a lack of work ethic and piss poor morale at USPS.

The USPS is supposedly losing money hand over fist, yet they propose to save money by buying electric vehicles......say what? How much does each one of these "money saving" vehicles cost? How much is it going to cost to upgrade each locations main electrical service and install wiring/receptacles for each new vehicle? Just more waste from USPS instead of employing workers that care.

Check out the tracking on this one. The local postmaster was finally able to intercept it and get it to me. There was nothing wrong with the address. She said it would have stayed in that loop likely forever if I hadn't called her. It was not something I could have just reordered.

41 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I don't think that there is any full time mail delivery people anymore. There is some that are at the post office itself as far as I can tell. Last week, I took several packages (all flat rate boxes) to the post office. One of them weighed about 40 lbs. At the end of the transaction, she handed me the receipt and asked me to take a survey about her performance.....then proceeded to drop the 40 lb package into the large rollaround mail basket from an approximate height of 4'. I didn't take the "survey" as it's just a ruse to get your Email address so they can bombard it with nonsense.

I also sold a bunch of stuff on the Classifieds. Checks were sent from all over the country, including Alaska. The check from Alaska took 4 days (including A Sunday) to get to my location in Florida. Checks from California were here in 5 days, checks from Texas took a week and a check from South Carolina took 8 days. There doesn't seem to by any pattern to mail/package delivery times. I personally think it is due a lack of work ethic and piss poor morale at USPS.

The USPS is supposedly losing money hand over fist, yet they propose to save money by buying electric vehicles......say what? How much does each one of these "money saving" vehicles cost? How much is it going to cost to upgrade each locations main electrical service and install wiring/receptacles for each new vehicle? Just more waste from USPS instead of employing workers that care.

If I mail a letter from Dolores to Cortez (All in Montezuma County, Colorado 8 miles apart. The letter goes to Albq. N.M from Dolores then back to Cortez. Over 500 mile to travel 8 miles. How does that make sense?

I never had an issue with USPS until march 29 when I sent a cashier's check for a gun.  It vanished.  To cancel it will cost me $40.00.

I sent another check that should get there today, but I'm not going to bet the rent on it.

I don't do PayPal (but I may look into that.)  The best way to send money, if you can afford it, is still Western Union.  It takes at most two hours and it is the most reliable way I know.

Unfortunately they don't do anything but messages and money transfers.

24 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Check out the tracking on this one. The local postmaster was finally able to intercept it and get it to me. There was nothing wrong with the address. She said it would have stayed in that loop likely forever if I hadn't called her. It was not something I could have just reordered.

Pretty much the same thing happened to me. I finally called the local PO and the lady was really nice and said the driver's had truck problems and never delivered his packages. She promised delivery today. We'll see........................

9 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I never had an issue with USPS until march 29 when I sent a cashier's check for a gun.  It vanished.  To cancel it will cost me $40.00.

I sent another check that should get there today, but I'm not going to bet the rent on it.

I don't do PayPal (but I may look into that.)  The best way to send money, if you can afford it, is still Western Union.  It takes at most two hours and it is the most reliable way I know.

Before setting up a PayPal account, look deep into PayPal....very deep. Not only are they completely antigun but can and will freeze your account thus your money. 

Several folks on here have had some REAL bad experiences with them. Just a heads up.

Because of the complete unpredictability of USPS deliveries I will no longer trust USPS with truly important deliveries. Since moving back to SoCal my wife and I rent our home. We use our bank’s check mailing services to pay the rent and bills. The bank cuts a check and mails it for you. Two months in a row the bank cut the check and mailed it and the checks went into USPS Limbo. 
The first time the property manager called in the 15th looking for the check our bank mailed on the 30th. The second time he called us on the 10th when the check was mailed the 29th. 
We made other arrangements to pay those 2 months rent in person. 
The first check that vanished eventually showed up the 20th or 21st. The second showed on the 22nd. Each one over 3 weeks late. 
The kicker?

My bank is 1 1/2 miles away. 
My post office is .7 miles away. 
My property manager is 3 miles away. 

I almost feel as if this is a purposeful manipulation. Not against me personally but perhaps systemic manipulation to show “We are hurting...we need more money to do our jobs...” 

I think you get my drift. 

3 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Before setting up a PayPal account, look deep into PayPal....very deep. Not only are they completely antigun but can and will freeze your account thus your money. 

Several folks on here have had some REAL bad experiences with them. Just a heads up.

19 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Thank you Cypress Sun. I was about to tell Forty the same thing. 

Forty Rod,

I had a dispute with PayPal and Discover card where my card was used through PayPal on a perhaps fraudulent charge after I bought something on EBay. When I explained that it may have been a mistake by a vendor for handgun grips that they possibly double charged me for both accounts went into “lockdown”.

Discover (anti gun) put a hold on my account for 6 months while they investigated. 
PayPal (anti gun) put an 11 month hold on my account. 

I no longer use them. Though I do maintain the PayPal account in case of dire emergency but I feel at ease in keeping the account because I get a monthly statement from them that costs them info storage and bandwidth to maintain. 

By the way, speaking of delays in mail deliveries. I bought something from a Pard and mailed a check last Wednesday. He got the check this Monday. He shipped a box to me Thursday. I got it Saturday. 
5 days for a check in an envelope cross country. 
2 days for a small box, cross country. 
Odd.

16 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

That is precisely why I don't use them.  Too many horror stories.

3 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

By the way, speaking of delays in mail deliveries. I bought something from a Pard and mailed a check last Wednesday. He got the check this Monday. He shipped a box to me Thursday. I got it Saturday. 
5 days for a check in an envelope cross country. 
2 days for a small box, cross country. 
Odd.

I bought a sixgun from Cimarron 'bout a month ago, paid with a credit card and my FFL guy emailed them his bona fides.

I got the gun delivered to my dealer in four days.....after a year and a half wait for the Covid to stall everything.  :D  From the time I got his call until I left with the gun was just about an hour.  :P  I suspect I set some sort of record for that 19 mile trip.  :o

So far this year we have had our mail delivered to a neighbor,  or a neighbor's mail delivered to us at least half a dozen times. 

As well as the number on the house right next to the mail box and on the mailbox,  I  put labels on the inside of the mailbox door with the address and both our names.   Font is about 3/4 inch tall, white on black.

19 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

So far this year we have had our mail delivered to a neighbor,  or a neighbor's mail delivered to us at least half a dozen times. 

As well as the number on the house right next to the mail box and on the mailbox,  I  put labels on the inside of the mailbox door with the address and both our names.   Font is about 3/4 inch tall, white on black.

This has been happening with us as well. Never with our regular carrier but all the time when this incompetent idiot that English is a foreign language to...this slacker should not have a job. 
I think this @&$tard does it on purpose. 

We had a postal delivery man who lives right down the street from our house.  He was nearly useless!!  He knew everyone and STILL delivered mail to the wrong box at least once a week!!

I’ve had two episodes lately where a package was misdirected and caught in some sort of loop!! Both were resolved to everyone’s satisfaction after I contacted the postmaster.

What I’ve encountered lately has been FedEx screwing up my deliveries badly!! I’m waiting on a bunch of parts that was ordered SEVERAL days ago! They were shipped from Virginia and I live in Tennessee. I saw tracking that showed the package going to West Virginia and then to Hagerstown, MD!! It wandered around there for a whole day before departing and disappeared until this morning. It reappeared at 8:00 this morning, supposedly on a truck from Nashville, out for delivery!!

We’ll see...

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

This has been happening with us as well. Never with our regular carrier but all the time when this incompetent idiot that English is a foreign language to...this slacker should not have a job. 
I think this @&$tard does it on purpose. 

Our drivers all are fluent in American English,  they just have trouble with numbers 

This is a trailer park, it shouldn't be that difficult to figure out thr the number sequence.  Plus the mailboxes are 20 to about 60 feet apart. 

2 hours ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

It's just a job. No one cares about service with a smile anymore.

Haven’t you heard?  Customer service was the first casualty of the Wu-flu (COVID).  Of course it was wobbling well before that bit of nastiness.

ML

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Zelle is best

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Because of the complete unpredictability of USPS deliveries I will no longer trust USPS with truly important deliveries. Since moving back to SoCal my wife and I rent our home. We use our bank’s check mailing services to pay the rent and bills. The bank cuts a check and mails it for you. Two months in a row the bank cut the check and mailed it and the checks went into USPS Limbo. 
The first time the property manager called in the 15th looking for the check our bank mailed on the 30th. The second time he called us on the 10th when the check was mailed the 29th. 
We made other arrangements to pay those 2 months rent in person. 
The first check that vanished eventually showed up the 20th or 21st. The second showed on the 22nd. Each one over 3 weeks late. 
The kicker?

My bank is 1 1/2 miles away. 
My post office is .7 miles away. 
My property manager is 3 miles away. 

I almost feel as if this is a purposeful manipulation. Not against me personally but perhaps systemic manipulation to show “We are hurting...we need more money to do our jobs...” 

I think you get my drift. 

My bank pays the bills electronically not by mail. I'm sure your's would do the same. You should consider changing that! ;)

I know the USPS is not delivering some of my mail.  Every other day I get a call from "The Auto Warranty Center" and they tell me they've been trying to contact me about my auto warranty and have sent several notices in the mail.  I've not received any mail from "The Auto Warranty Center."  I've probably gotten 100 calls and they were all my final notification.  Must be USPS's fault. :P

Seriously, I think the biggest problem the USPS has is Postmaster General Louis DeJoy.   He's got the USPS all messed up!

2 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

It's no secret that God made men and women different.

One difference is men talk less than women.

Studies have found that men speak about 15,000 words a day.

Women speak about 25,000 words a day......with gusts of 40-50K.

Not sure what this has to do with the USPS but I like your thinking!:lol:

7 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

If I mail a letter from Dolores to Cortez (All in Montezuma County, Colorado 8 miles apart. The letter goes to Albq. N.M from Dolores then back to Cortez. Over 500 mile to travel 8 miles. How does that make sense?

Since letters with Anthrax was mailed to several congress members all mail gos though expensive sniffers.

I'll chime in here since I'm a USPS career employee in the maintenance craft.

The problem is the APWU; it is more likely that sentient life will be discovered on Mercury than a clerk craft (the people that handle your mail) career employee will be fired.  Until supervisors are fully backed by management up to and including PMG DeJoy, your mail is screwed.

Now some insights: letter mail postage must be cancelled; cancellers (which also do the detection testing for nasty stuff) are located at mail processing plants.  There is no cancellation at your local PO; which is why mail might travel 100 miles to reach an address half a mile away.  Why does your mail end up in the neighbors mail box?  Because some clerk screwed up the sweep on a mail processing machine (machines that say this mail goes here and that mail goes there; there are no more huge rooms with clerks hand casing mail) and the Delivery Point Sort is now out of order for the carrier and/or some clerk adds to the sorted trays at the local PO incorrectly and messes up the DPS; it really is not your carriers fault 95 percent of the time.  Packages move more quickly through the system owing to the machinery used to process and that it is quicker to fill up a truck with parcels than letter mail; the sooner it is full, the sooner it leaves a processing plant.

Now some tips: don't mail round/cylinder things unless you put it in a box; machinery dies not like round/cylinder things.  Please use the FREE tyvek mailers to mail spent brass; even better, put the FREE tyvek mailers in one of our FREE boxes!  I spent 3 days picking 223, 380, and 9mm brass out of a parcel processing machine once because some donk mailed it in a padded manila mailer that got torn open in the machine.  Lastly, don't mail coins, rings, necklaces, buttons, and such in a envelope intended for a letter to save a few pennies; the machines spit these type of items out all the time because they are designed to process letters.  But if you just MUST do it, write "NON-MACHINABLE MAIL" on it, front and back please.

Anyhow, I'll let you all get back to hating on the USPS now....

21 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Pretty much the same thing happened to me. I finally called the local PO and the lady was really nice and said the driver's had truck problems and never delivered his packages. She promised delivery today. We'll see........................

UPDATE: I got my package after several calls to the local PO. ( It's less than a mile away) They didn't know what happened to it. It turns out someone had marked it "Customer pickup" Which I told them to do but they said, "No it'll be delivered". A nice guy there found it on his desk right in front of him and delivered it to me last night! Unbelievable!!!

Daughter was in the Peace Corps in Togo Africa.  She was at the local "Post Office" to pickup a package we had sent her.  "Clerk" told her it hadn't arrived.  She could see a box behind the Clerk laying on the floor with her name and address on it.  Clerk insisted that wasn't hers.  Daughter spoke fluent African French and Togolese and started a heated conversation with the Clerk.  In the eyes of the Togolese ALL white people were millionaires and the Clerk was expecting a bribe!  Clerk must have been caught off guard by a little white girl that explained in terms the Clerk readily understood what she would do if he didn't had over her package.   Clerk decided that was her package and no bribe was needed.  And as I recalled it "only" took a month for the package to get to her.

The USPS security and enforcement organization now monitor on-line forums (fora?) for posts that might be a threat to postal safety and security.  When you participate in a thread like this, be sure to say "hello" to our USPS friends.

(bomb, poison, fraud, riot)  Just making sure I got their attention.

The organisation of which you speak is known as the United States Postal Inspection Service......

2 hours ago, Joke 'um said:

The USPS security and enforcement organization now monitor on-line forums (fora?) for posts that might be a threat to postal safety and security.  When you participate in a thread like this, be sure to say "hello" to our USPS friends.

(bomb, poison, fraud, riot)  Just making sure I got their attention.

Archived