SASS Wire Forum

Which is more likely to draw a burglar?

Alpo

House. One vehicle. They leave the carport light on all night long.

Go on vacation for 2 weeks.

Leave the light off, because there's no one there so there's no sense in having it on? That's what my neighbors did, and all it did with me was draw my attention to the fact that there was no one there. The lights were always on after dark, but now they weren't.

Or leave the light on? This would, to my mind, draw your attention to the fact that there was no car there. And during the daytime if the carport light was on, that would really make it seem like there was no one home.

Are these two choices - we are not going to discuss timers to have the lights come on and off at different periods just these two choices - leave the light on or leave the light off.

Which do you think would be more apt to draw a burglar?

I live outside of town a couple miles and had a security light on a pole like everyone else.  Then one day I decided to have it disconnected.....why should I provide a light for burglars?  Let em provide their own and I can spot them much more easily in my scope.

When we used to go out of town I had outdoor lights that came on automatically at sundown. I had lights in the living and dining rooms on timers to come on in evening and go out around 10 pm. I had a radio on a timer to come on around 5 pm and turn off around 9:45. 
Mail was put on hold as was the newspaper. 

The house appeared and sounded like it did when we were home. 

34 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Well, first one has to have some artistic drawing ability to be able to draw a burglar.   Right???

Burglar Drawing | Free download on ClipArtMag

Raccoon 1.jpg

Timers and photocell and motion sensors are great for vacations. Or anytime.

52 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

When we used to go out of town I had outdoor lights that came on automatically at sundown. I had lights in the living and dining rooms on timers to come on in evening and go out around 10 pm. I had a radio on a timer to come on around 5 pm and turn off around 9:45. 
Mail was put on hold as was the newspaper. 

The house appeared and sounded like it did when we were home. 

Over the years I have added lights from time to time.  Up to nineteen now including two externals on my workshop and one inside.  Leaves fifteen on in the house and one in the garage.

I usually set them up and live with them a week or so before I actually leave, just to be sure they come on like when I'm home.

Well, from what I have read the majority of home burglaries happen between 10:00am and 3:00pm. So lights (or the lack of them) at night might not stop a burglary in the dark, but could be used to determine if the house was empty for a daytime attempt.

The burgler who is professional enough to watch my house and learn my habits concerning lights and parking is too good to bother with my house.  

The dog is gone.  Mail and package delivery are stopped.  The weekly shopping ads lie in the driveway.  Too many other clues to be worrying about a carport light.

Put the car up on blocks.

Then, go to the salvage yard and find an old swing set, a length of logging chain and an old V8 engine that have been scrapped.

Set up the swing set and hang the ratty old engine from it with the chain- jerry-rigging it is a MUST- in the front or side yard nearest the car port.

Go on vacation comfortable with the knowledge that burglars will drive by and figure that there's nothing worth getting shot over in the house.

;)

12 hours ago, Joke 'um said:

The burgler who is professional enough to watch my house and learn my habits concerning lights and parking is too good to bother with my house.  

The dog is gone.  Mail and package delivery are stopped.  The weekly shopping ads lie in the driveway.  Too many other clues to be worrying about a carport light.

You bring up a very good point. 
From 2005 to 2019 the weekly delivery of those damned weekly shopping ad papers was not an issue. Now that I am back in SoCal they aren’t as bad as they used to be, but every Wednesday a plastic sleeve of ads show up in my driveway and I have no idea who delivers them and exactly when. So, I would have to find someone to remove them from my driveway if I go out of town. 

Garage doors left open.

Goodies left lying around, even for a moment. 

Lights left off at night when not home.

Stuff left on the doorstep and not picked up for a day or two.

Neighbours/neighbourhoods that don't keep an eye open for prowlers.

Archived