SASS Wire Forum

EOT Long Range Buffalo Gun Shoot

Doc Altman SASS#74468

27 minutes ago, Doc Altman SASS#74468 said:

Thanks, Sue. 
I emailed CC Top, who told me that he and his crew are working on range prep for EOT but all of the match details are dictated by SASS HQ.  I’m sure more details will be released before the event. 

I am sure it will be great.

As with all previous matches, various Long Range options are held...

Now, are you asking for just what EOT has in order?

Or are you curious about how long range side matches are run in general?

If it is the latter...there are many that can speak on their experiences from past WR and EOT long range.

Doc:

There are not a lot of variables in Buffalo Gun long Range. It will follow the SASS rules in the handbook (page 30) for gun type. "Buffalo Single Shot firearms must be originals or replicas of single shot rifles manufactured during the period from approximately 1860 until 1899. All rifles MUST have exposed hammers. The caliber and cartridge rules for the “Rifle Caliber” firearms noted above under basic rules also apply to Single Shot and Buffalo Single Shot rifles with the exception Buffalo Single Shot rifles must be .375" bore size or larger. Buffalo Single Shot competition has further restrictions requiring original or replica rifles to be a design of US manufacture. Spring-loaded ejectors are also prohibited, except for Springfield Trapdoor Rifles. '"

As to range - that will be up to the Match Director.  EOT has traditionally used a 100 yard range in Edgewood and the score is based on the size of the group that you shoot.  It was a timed event (5 minutes for 10 shots)  Additionally they had a BP and a smokeless category.  You could shoot it in any style , offhand, prone, on sticks, sitting.

At WinterRange - the same firearm rules applied but the range was quite a bit farther and the scoring was based on hits on steel and then time as the tie breaker.  Link here - http://www.winterrange.com/longrange.html

My suggestion would be to work up a good load in both smokeless and BP and find your zero's at 100 , 300 and 500 yards on a good vernier sight.   It's also helpful to be able to read the wind and get an idea how the altitude might affect your shots. 

16 minutes ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

Doc:

There are not a lot of variables in Buffalo Gun long Range. It will follow the SASS rules in the handbook (page 30) for gun type. "Buffalo Single Shot firearms must be originals or replicas of single shot rifles manufactured during the period from approximately 1860 until 1899. All rifles MUST have exposed hammers. The caliber and cartridge rules for the “Rifle Caliber” firearms noted above under basic rules also apply to Single Shot and Buffalo Single Shot rifles with the exception Buffalo Single Shot rifles must be .375" bore size or larger. Buffalo Single Shot competition has further restrictions requiring original or replica rifles to be a design of US manufacture. Spring-loaded ejectors are also prohibited, except for Springfield Trapdoor Rifles. '"

As to range - that will be up to the Match Director.  EOT has traditionally used a 100 yard range in Edgewood and the score is based on the size of the group that you shoot.  It was a timed event (5 minutes for 10 shots)  Additionally they had a BP and a smokeless category.  You could shoot it in any style , offhand, prone, on sticks, sitting.

At WinterRange - the same firearm rules applied but the range was quite a bit farther and the scoring was based on hits on steel and then time as the tie breaker.  Link here - http://www.winterrange.com/longrange.html

My suggestion would be to work up a good load in both smokeless and BP and find your zero's at 100 , 300 and 500 yards on a good vernier sight.   It's also helpful to be able to read the wind and get an idea how the altitude might affect your shots. 

You ROCK Joe!!!:wub:

Sue and Joe,

Thank you so much for the input.  While I've shot in a few long range matches in Kentucky, I've never been to EOT and was just curious about how the affair might be handled.  I sincerely appreciate the help!

--Doc

Archived